List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I still doubting him until I saw a flag and more kids coming in . :)

Port was so bad Ross deserved heat. But it takes more than that to unsheath the knives. Remember Wet Toast in 2012? Bedwetters everywhere, then followed by a charge into finals.

I'm still not convinced he is the man for the rebuild. We have had a few kids that need to be sharpend up. How he handles them and their "replacements" as the youth gets refined will be indicative of how RTB goes as a rebuild coach.

However, what the last couple weeks has showed us, and this should not be underestimated, is that RTB can get a team of fellas to win despite the odds. This is no small thing. We have a leader that can get the lads to win. Anyone that disregards this point is in the woods.

It entertains me no end that when Ross Lyon finally accepted what the entire football world's criticism of him has been for years (that he doesn't play kids and that his game plan is too defensive) and lo and behold we start winning games, the koolaid drinkers who have been maintaining all along that playing spuds and a defensive gameplan was the pinnacle of football strategy see that as a vindication of their view that Lyon has always done everything right.

Nobody is happier than me that we've finally done what we obviously should have done 18 months ago. That of course doesn't change the fact that we've been doing the wrong thing for 18 months.

These are the same guys that posted week after week that Nick Suban was underrated because he blocked for Fyfe and that Lyon was absolutely right to keep picking him lololol

Masterful coaching today. The use of Mundy and Fyfe to the support the key forwards, and then swinging them back to the midfield was terrific. And how he is handling Neale after his off season surgery is pretty inspired too. Blakely is finding a role. MJ, the kids. Really, the list goes on.

It entertains me no end that when Ross Lyon finally accepted what the entire football world's criticism of him has been for years (that he doesn't play kids and that his game plan is too defensive) and lo and behold we start winning games, the koolaid drinkers who have been maintaining all along that playing spuds and a defensive gameplan was the pinnacle of football strategy see that as a vindication of their view that Lyon has always done everything right.

Nobody is happier than me that we've finally done what we obviously should have done 18 months ago. That of course doesn't change the fact that we've been doing the wrong thing for 18 months.

These are the same guys that posted week after week that Nick Suban was underrated because he blocked for Fyfe and that Lyon was absolutely right to keep picking him lololol
Ummm, that's what entertains you?

Should have won lots of money by now .

Ummm, that's what entertains you?

Yes, I find it very entertaining that people like Scon feel that winning 2 games with a completely different outlook, game plan and selection policy is vindication of their dogged support of the old, outdated, losing game plan and selection strategy.

Lyon was extremely stubborn in letting go of the past and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point. It's great that we are at this point now, but I am not sure at all how that makes people think they now have the right to lay into those of us who were pointing this out a year and a half ago.

TLDR:

We (and the entire football world outside of FFC) were right
You (and Ross Lyon) were wrong
If you can't understand why then go away and have a think about it for a couple of weeks

Last edited:
Yes, I find it very entertaining that people like Scon feel that winning 2 games with a completely different outlook, game plan and selection policy is vindication of their dogged support of the old, losing game plan and selection strategy.
There's about 30 people here that chat on a online forum about our unified love of all things Freo. Yet nose rubbing is your thing? No judgement but far out, your insights that you produce are waaaay more valuable than the bickering :)

We are still winning games with pressure. Notice how we were out-tackled in the first half by 11 and by 3 qtr time we were up on the tackle count?
Can you tell me who would have been playing 18 months ago? As far as I can tell, McCarthy, Hamling, Kersten, B.Hill, H.Balic and G.Logue were unavailable. Sheridan, Crozier, Langdon and Blakely played heaps last year.

There's about 30 people here that chat on a online forum about our unified love of all things Freo. Yet nose rubbing is your thing? No judgement but far out, your insights that you produce are waaaay more valuable than the bickering :)

It's not me doing the nose rubbing though, is it?

Here's 4 quotes just from today having a go. I hadn't posted in this thread until I read all these.

All of you Lyon haters are just a bunch of cobblers who should stick to cobbling. The boss is OUR coach and coach well he does.

funny after 2 games, some of you chaps want him sacked. beat the dogs and demons and some say you love him

Shhhhhh,the white ants might hear you.;)

Quite a way back to second.
I wanted Neesham to have another year.

We've still got posters who regard Lyon as a fool/dimwit.
Unpharkinbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TLDR:

If you can't understand why then go away and have a think about it for a couple of weeks
Wow. What would make you feel ok mate? Should our new song start with....
"Oh mighty Ydraw! How your knowledge sustains us"
Sure it doesn't rhyme but at least maybe we could kick off the new phase without the bickering. Can you drop it? Please?

It's not me doing the nose rubbing though, is it?

Here's 4 quotes just from today having a go. I hadn't posted in this thread until I read all these.
But your not those people they are referrring to. You've just pointed out flaws.

Yes, I find it very entertaining that people like Scon feel that winning 2 games with a completely different outlook, game plan and selection policy is vindication of their dogged support of the old, outdated, losing game plan and selection strategy.

Lyon was extremely stubborn in letting go of the past and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point. It's great that we are at this point now, but I am not sure at all how that makes people think they now have the right to lay into those of us who were pointing this out a year and a half ago.

TLDR:

Yep, vindication. It surprises me that all the Lyon kool aid crew still can't admit they were wrong.

Wow. What would make you feel ok mate? Should our new song start with....
"Oh mighty Ydraw! How your knowledge sustains us"
Sure it doesn't rhyme but at least maybe we could kick off the new phase without the bickering. Can you drop it? Please?

Might consider dropping it when my account is fully re-enabled (my account has been partially disabled since the 2015 prelim final because I criticised Ross Lyon after the loss. I can not like or report posts or edit my sig because of something that the mods did because they couldn't stand any criticism of Lyon, and evidently didn't like me using the report feature when I used it to report a bunch of personal attacks I received as a result).

Yep, vindication. It surprises me that all the Lyon kool aid crew still can't admit they were wrong.
I though Ross admit he is wrong indirectly by making 6 changes .

Bloody hell. I was wrong. Back in the day I thought we were on the right track. TBH I thought at the time we were on our way to the flag. Idiot that I was, I felt that we had the squad and the direction to do it. I was wrong. Clearly.

You know what though, I have no regrets. Those years, while full of misguided optimism, were some of my favorite years as a Freo supporter. While this year our end goal is radically different, that same passion and excitement has begun pumping through the veins again.

So yeah, I probabaly backed the wrong horse a few years back but screw it. It was fun. You want to rub my nose in optimism then so be it :)

How about this.

He's the best head coach we've ever had by a country mile and he's still our head coach. The great man backs him and that's good enough for me.

Every week there's undue criticism of head coaches, teams have bad weeks, players have bad games, coaches get it wrong, blah blah blah...

Bloody hell. I was wrong. Back in the day I thought we were on the right track. TBH I thought at the time we were on our way to the flag. Idiot that I was, I felt that we had the squad and the direction to do it. I was wrong. Clearly.

You know what though, I have no regrets. Those years, while full of misguided optimism, were some of my favorite years as a Freo supporter. While this year our end goal is radically different, that same passion and excitement has begun pumping through the veins again.

So yeah, I probabaly backed the wrong horse a few years back but screw it. It was fun. You want to rub my nose in optimism then so be it :)
I have said on this forum in the past that I like Ross and I think he is a good leader and coach. I just disagree with his selection and stubborn refusal to regenerate the list.

Except you still refuse to accept that it has been changing for the last 18 months.
Even when actively shown the youth were being played last year prior to, and in spite of, injuries, you keep to this fallacy. And like every other ridiculous campaigner, you continue to assume that those in support of Lyon think he "does everything right".

I saw your effort in response to my questioning of who you would have played last year in place of Suban and co - you failed to give a good answer. You gave me a list of a few players in who had 9 or more games in the WAFL without taking into account who those players were, and why they only had 9 games in the WAFL (the obvious answer being that even the most cursory glance of that list highlighted that most of the players on it were injured at one point or another in 2016).

The only player on that list you responded with who could conceivably have consistently replaced Suban or D Pearce was Josh Deluca, who was delisted and picked up again this year - which is an indication of what the coaching and match selection staff thought of him as a Suban replacement. Even now, with us playing youth nearly everywhere, he still can't get a game. That should tell you something, at least.

As noted previously, the focus last year was on replacing Mzungu, De Boer and C Pearce rather than D Pearce and Suban - but you ignore that. Last year we were already playing kids in their places every second game even as far back as round 2 - before injuries took hold. You ignore that too. I gave you a list of 8 young players we put 92 combined games of footy into (not including Crozier and Sheridan) and, yep. You ignored it.
I mean let's not let facts get in the way of a good campaign, ey?

You don't even seem to recognise the differing circumstances and situational complexities between 2015, 2016 and now 2017 - to you, it's all been just one long samesametime.

There are people who say every opinion is valid, but when you can't back yours up with facts and continue to ignore indications that you are incorrect, your opinion becomes worthless.

I have said on this forum in the past that I like Ross and I think he is a good leader and coach. I just disagree with his selection and stubborn refusal to regenerate the list.
Pretty sure you have majority of the forum with you these days mate. Even RTB selection's seem to be with you (though we need to watch those emergencies). Point in dispute is if a few posters can move on from the oppositional "I told you so"/ "Kim Jong Lyon is our dear leader" rhetoric.

Few hold those positions as hard any more. I like to think Grey has paved the way for more middle ground thinking :)

Back