List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our player retention rate being the best in the competition certainly says something different.
If he was a stubborn,unimaginative,obsessive control freak,who insists playing favourites regardless of how talented others are
with an utterly unchanging gameday stategy based in the 50's why aren't players leaving in droves??

Don't you remember, Michie left?

Our player retention rate being the best in the competition certainly says something different.
If he was a stubborn,unimaginative,obsessive control freak,who insists playing favourites regardless of how talented others are
with an utterly unchanging gameday stategy based in the 50's why aren't players leaving in droves??
Not that they don't want to leave , playing wafl long term won't help them to get into another club . Also club prefer to wait until freo delisted them rather than give up draft pick( deboer,GU,silvagni , Barlow).

I know it's a week behind but it just popped up into my recommended vids and might interest a few of you on why their where no changes round 2.

According to this, Ross wanted changes to be made before round 2, but the leadership group argued and allowed the round 1 team to have a second go (about 50 seconds into the video).

Also an okay interview with Mundy afterwards.

Leadership group for those wondering:
Fyfe
Mundy
Sandi
Walters
Spurr
Neale

I know it's a week behind but it just popped up into my recommended vids and might interest a few of you on why their where no changes round 2.

According to this, Ross wanted changes to be made before round 2, but the leadership group argued and allowed the round 1 team to have a second go (about 50 seconds into the video).

Also an okay interview with Mundy afterwards.

Leadership group for those wondering:
Fyfe
Mundy
Sandi
Walters
Spurr
Neale

Mundy just said key learning nothing about giving them a second go.

No undy Mundy....Mundy the Fremantle captain...etc says it all about the boys club wages machine...idiots.
This was the Crippa and a few v lots of others debate last week...seems very likely Crippa's mob were correct.
Which again should have some turning their Lyon hate or criticism rapidly around.
I'm aware this won't occur.

I have been listening to a bit of Melbourne radio the past couple of weeks and I picked up two observations:

1. After round 2 loss to Port Adelaide, the players asked Ross to simplify the game plan. Ross has since come out and said that instead of focussing on the opposition tactics and how to stop them, he's focussed on coaching the players and letting the opposition worry about them. What a difference that has made. Lachie Neale said that Ross has instructed the players to provide the overlap up the corridor for fast ball movement.

2. There's good communication between the leadership group (representing the players) and the coaches. There's a lot of give and take. They requested the favourites get one more week, which Ross granted in round 2 and after that didn't produce results, made the changes he wanted. The players wanted a different game style and Ross gave them the freedom to be more offensive. We've conceded more score but we've also scored a lot more and look more dangerous going forward.

Also, Ross seems to be so relaxed and a bit happy and jovial with the media. I know winning can do this but I can't remember too many times from 2012-2015 when Ross seemed this relaxed.

So... about that plan to sack Lyon and poach Clarkson....
Umm too bad , hawthorn can have a season like freo last season before they sack him loh.

Freo
2015 minor premier
2016 bottom 3

Hawthorn
2015 premier
2016 top 4
2017 bottom

I think the cycle about right .

Ross will ring him tonight give Clarkson some pointers on how to sort the mess out.Or at least some defensive strategies for damage control.
Ross is very supportive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross will ring him tonight give Clarkson some pointers on how to sort the mess out.Or at least some defensive strategies for damage control.
Ross is very supportive.
But but but Ross don't have flag like roos loh.

Yeah Brendan Goddard said RTB was the best coach he's played for as has Pav. Whatever the case, he's clearly not the oppressive task master many (who havent worked with him) like to label him as.

Yeah Brendan Goddard said RTB was the best coach he's played for as has Pav. Whatever the case, he's clearly not the oppressive task master many (who havent worked with him) like to label him as.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves , Richmond currently doing better than freo .

It appears to be unanimous amongst the players he's coached.They unashamedly declare him to be their best friend,father figure,sense of humour,brilliant strategist... on and on and on.Bond the other day talking about him as being hugely innovative,a scholar of the game who understands where it's heading before it goes there...blah blah on and on.I know there are some deeply embedded agendas amongst our supporters(I sit next to one at Domain who I may yet crack in the head) but a lot of these ex players have no vested interest in praising Lyon.He is a highly respected,regarded and loved professional in a very brutal and unsentimental industry.
I think it's because he's a deep thinker and constantly applies his brain to all the mechanics and permutations that can occur in the game.He values calm analysis.Correctly places the game as only an aspect of life when the pressure escalates.
Has a fairly mischievous sense of humour and genuinely likes people.His funny little grin reminds me of the recently passed John Clarke.
He's a unit and he'll continue to develop the whole club.
Ross doesn't coach Richmond meima .

Last edited:
Jumped of Clarkson and the Hawks and moved onto Richmond ? Have you no shame Meima.;)
Hahhaa , why not only support those that top of the leaderboard apart from eagle ,St kinda,geelong and collingwood.

Only support GWs if they trade lobb to freo .

Why not support Freo , you are after all a Freo supporter.;)
I always support freo , when I am wrong freo keep winning ,so I rather be on the wrong side. The more I said Ross is not that good , the more freo win .

Back