Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
my biggest fear is ross will turn us into st kilda....just look at how they have never fully recovered since he left
Different basket of fruit altogether. The Saints were crippled because they lacked talented younger players when Ross left, the current Freo team won't have that as an issue for the forseeable next few years.
What people don’t realize is the state the management/CEO left the club in. They’re the ones responsible for poor recruiting and retainment of players. Bell has our better positioned if we do move Ross on. Better set up and players still to develop
Their recruiting was (and is) crap, that's why. We have plenty of talent at the club.

Which is what worries me. Ross has always been a master at getting the most out of a list, but for the first time I feel we're playing worse than the sum of our parts.
Yep. Lose next week against Brisbane and I'm done with him, especially if it's low scoring.

Interesting post Benfica. But....

Ross Lyon coached the saints from 2007-2011. Made finals from 2008-2011. you aint going to cull the list and get rid of 7-9 players each year if you make finals.

Yeah he stuck with his best 22-25 players in 2009-2010. I see that. People said the saints had lack of talent coming through after 2011. Well if you make finals, you wont get too many top 10 picks. Also the saints recruitng/drafting/trading hasn't been to good either.

I agree with Freo Monocle, its a totally different situation.

I also agree with FreoRicci, Saints Board and CEO left the playing list in a horrible shape, not Ross.

Just like freo in 2012-15, I dont recall freo having top 10 picks either.

Also I have posted this 1 million times and will post it again.......

I am a freo supporter since 2001. I am enjoying this current rebuild over our 2007-9 rebuild and here is why....

Back in 2008, Hawks and cats made the GF. Neither side had the oldest list in the AFL. The oldest list in the AFL in 2008 was Freo, that finished with 6 wins and 16 defeats and 14th out of 16th.

That squad was so old, there was like only 7 guys aged 23 or under: Chris Mayne, Clayton Hinkley, Rhys Palmer, Marcus Drum, Robert Warnock, Garrick Ibbotson and my personal Favourite, Brock "Lesnar" O'Brien.

Now...... Had Ross Lyon left at the end of 2018.... we have a decent amount of talent aged 23 or under: Logue, Darcy, McCarthy, Duman, Nyhus, tucker, Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Crowden etc.

Basically, Freo recruited some good teenagers in the 2016 and 2017 drafts.

So Benfica or any other docker fans worried about Freos Youf..... If you are worried about our youth right now, Go look at all the guys on our list that are aged 23 or under and compare that to the 6-8 blokes we had aged 23 or under in 2008.

Again, anyone wants to bitch and moan about freos current rebuild, ask around the chaps that were hanging around here back in 2008!

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Interesting post Benfica. But....

Ross Lyon coached the saints from 2007-2011. Made finals from 2008-2011. you aint going to cull the list and get rid of 7-9 players each year if you make finals.

Yeah he stuck with his best 22-25 players in 2009-2010. I see that. People said the saints had lack of talent coming through after 2011. Well if you make finals, you wont get too many top 10 picks. Also the saints recruitng/drafting/trading hasn't been to good either.

I agree with Freo Monocle, its a totally different situation.

I also agree with FreoRicci, Saints Board and CEO left the playing list in a horrible shape, not Ross.

Just like freo in 2012-15, I dont recall freo having top 10 picks either.

Also I have posted this 1 million times and will post it again.......

I am a freo supporter since 2001. I am enjoying this current rebuild over our 2007-9 rebuild and here is why....

Back in 2008, Hawks and cats made the GF. Neither side had the oldest list in the AFL. The oldest list in the AFL in 2008 was Freo, that finished with 6 wins and 16 defeats and 14th out of 16th.

That squad was so old, there was like only 7 guys aged 23 or under: Chris Mayne, Clayton Hinkley, Rhys Palmer, Marcus Drum, Robert Warnock, Garrick Ibbotson and my personal Favourite, Brock "Lesnar" O'Brien.

Now...... Had Ross Lyon left at the end of 2018.... we have a decent amount of talent aged 23 or under: Logue, Darcy, McCarthy, Duman, Nyhus, tucker, Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Crowden etc.

Basically, Freo recruited some good teenagers in the 2016 and 2017 drafts.

So Benfica or any other docker fans worried about Freos Youf..... If you are worried about our youth right now, Go look at all the guys on our list that are aged 23 or under and compare that to the 6-8 blokes we had aged 23 or under in 2008.

Again, anyone wants to bitch and moan about freos current rebuild, ask around the chaps that were hanging around here back in 2008!
I have been following freo since 2003.

The club has never been run better and I trust them to keep running it well.

I hope they keep ignoring the jungle drums of the 6pr haters who only want to see freo fail and their beloved eagles stay on the rise

I look forward to another period of sustained finals footy and hope we can break the drought this time, with this group of players.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I have been following freo since 2003.

The club has never been run better and I trust them to keep running it well.

I hope they keep ignoring the jungle drums of the 6pr haters who only want to see freo fail and their beloved eagles stay on the rise

I look forward to another period of sustained finals footy and hope we can break the drought this time, with this group of players.
Good to hear. Because I know for all eagles fans, freo docker haters, 6PR worshippers and Kim Hagdorn, the biggest fear they have is freo winning the flag. To them, Freo winning the flag is like a poo stain in their underpants they can never wash off.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Good to hear. Because I know for all eagles fans, freo docker haters, 6PR worshippers and Kim Hagdorn, the biggest fear they have is freo winning the flag. To them, Freo winning the flag is like a poo stain in their underpants they can never wash off.
You are on a posting binge. Fulsome. Appreciate your insights.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Credit where it’s due. Fagan has owned Ross the last two years but he had no clue today. We were better drilled and structured. More of it please Ross.
They are clearly move advanced in terms of skill execution and decision making but our structures kept us in it to 3QT and they couldn't go with us in the 4th.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Comfortably outcoached Fagan. Once we sorted out the over the top cheapies Brissy found it much harder to score.

Skill execution held us back from winning that by more.
Why do we always have to wait for the oppo to kick 4 goals from joe the goose or forward stoppage goals in the first quarter BEFORE we stop it though? Frustrating as.

Rhetorical question BTW.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the start of the year I thought the list was the main problem then during our shocking run i thought it was Rossco, now Im starting to think its the list again. When they buy in its chalk and cheese.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Why do we still commit too many to the contest week after week?

Why do we always have players run too close or even into each other when breaking?

Why do we still bomb it long to a contest more times than not?

Winning today doesn't change anything. Just scraping past a team like Brisbane at home isn't a vote of confidence.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Why do we still commit too many to the contest week after week?

Why do we always have players run too close or even into each other when breaking?

Why do we still bomb it long to a contest more times than not?

Winning today doesn't change anything. Just scraping past a team like Brisbane at home isn't a vote of confidence.
We are sitting in the 8 (albiet on %) nearly halfway through the season, we aren't traveling that badly .

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
At the start of the year I thought the list was the main problem then during our shocking run i thought it was Rossco, now Im starting to think its the list again. When they buy in its chalk and cheese.
I am very confident that our decision making and execution will improve the more the boys play together. It always takes time to get that right. To what limit I don't know but we will definitely get better. That's when those 70 point games turn into 90 point games.
Well done Ross, but lucky but we’ll take it
That was as 50/50 as you get (without actually drawing) but we deserved it. For whatever advantage they had in the first 3 quarters, we were soooo much better in the last.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think playing Hogan at the moment (and to a lesser extent Blakely) is hurting us. Probably the right thing to do because we need those 2 firing in the best 22, but it is definitely hurting us.

Looking forward to the second half of the year and a bit of form and fitness there, and dreaming about a possible line up with SHill and Bennell. That will be a team transformed.

Back