List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lyon holidng all the cards at the moment. Still contracted for next year, has the team playing well and rebuild looking good and publically flaunting he has options to go elsewhere and doesn't need to beg for his job.

Get behind him 100% or get searching for a replacement.

You'd be pretty happy with your position heading into the bye if you were Lyon right now. Wylie old fox.

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Ross does leave (I don't think for a second he will) then geez you'd be happy if you are the next coach with what he has left you.
Bingo, I am Lyon out but I'm happy for him to stay if we continue the trajectory of this season, however, this list is in a good position and if we were to lose him I don't think it would be a massive blow, provided the club hired the right person.

Ross is trying to bluff the board into giving him an extension (fair enough, he has every right to do so) but they just have to hold firm and wait until midway through next year to make the call.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
We've got a good list, Ross knows that above all else.
But he was spotted in Carlton today (Lygon St) with Steve Silvagni
And it begins. Knew he would do something of the sort. Wouldn't be surprised if Silvagni told Ross Bolton would be sacked, let's have a chat.
SOS is such a useless manager.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Bingo, I am Lyon out but I'm happy for him to stay if we continue the trajectory of this season, however, this list is in a good position and if we were to lose him I don't think it would be a massive blow, provided the club hired the right person.

Ross is trying to bluff the board into giving him an extension (fair enough, he has every right to do so) but they just have to hold firm and wait until midway through next year to make the call.
Drum, Harvey and Connolly were the right guys at the time, and the last two of those were head-hunted for the job. That is, they were our first choice coaches.

Make a shortlist of your 3 favourite, available replacements and tell me why we could expect better results than we got from those 3, or why they would do better than Lyon. Losing Lyon would be a significant blow to our 2020 chances.

Our goal was 10 wins this season we already have 6. I'd sign him now.
Seasons are long and I'd say 10 was the "not get fired" mark, not the "extension" mark.

Club needs to hold firm and see out the year, which I'm confident we'll do

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
I almost posted last night as a joke, could anyone confirm that Lyon flew back with the team? I guess it turns out he didn't :)

No problem with this, apparently they asked his advice on who to look at last time, maybe that was a cover for an enquiry and a thanks but no thanks, and either could be true this time as well, or its a straight up unrelated meeting and the old blokes just think this is funny. Bottom line is Carlton aren't doing their job if they don't at least ask Lyon, Clarkson etc if they have any interest at all. No different with top players coming out of contract.

Last edited:

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even if it seems the side right now is travelling OK, would be absolute madness to think about extending Lyon's contract by several years/millions if that's what is needed to keep him. If we make a prelim or GF, then reassess.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Or maybe he had planned his four days off well ahead of time..
I don't doubt that. The part I think is master troll is making the lunch super public when it didn't need to be. I mean, he is perfectly entitled to eat lunch at a restaurant but he'll know he is going to get questioned about it.

Got a better sense of humour than many give him credit for.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't doubt that. The part I think is master troll is making the lunch super public when it didn't need to be. I mean, he is perfectly entitled to eat lunch at a restaurant but he'll know he is going to get questioned about it.

Got a better sense of humour than many give him credit for.
I think the coaching speculation rubs him up the wrong way a bit though.

Doesn't he generally stay on in Melbourne for a bit at bye time to catch up with family and friends? Along with tonight being the HoF dinner.

Who was it that he met at the Norfolk a couple of years ago? The club was aware of that meeting at the time and I'd imagine that'd be the case here.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well lets jump to conclusions and assume he's gone. The big question is who follows him to Carlton??

Who is Fremantle's Zac Dawson???

That my friends is the real head scratcher.

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ross knows the simple equation - make finals before the end of 2020 to get a contract extension.

The club's public position appears to be the same since he was given the mandate to see out the rebuild, so I highly doubt they would blink first and offer him an extension unless finals was guaranteed this year.

Possession is 9/10 of the law. Yes, Ross' recent comments about loving the club and Perth could be perceived as slightly disingenuous, but he's built this team from the ground up and it looks like it's just about to start bearing some fruit. He wont be going anywhere unless the club forces him out.

Perhaps that's the real question everybody should be asking and thinking about? Will the club hold firm on the plan that was publicly laid out at the end of 2016, or will it blink prematurely?

Last edited:

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Well lets jump to conclusions and assume he's gone. The big question is who follows him to Carlton??

Clearly Fyfe so that he can grow his brand under a big Victorian club. :D

Im sure the AFL has already decided that you'll be happy with Carlton's second round draft pick (cause their first goes to Adelaide).

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the coaching speculation rubs him up the wrong way a bit though.

Doesn't he generally stay on in Melbourne for a bit at bye time to catch up with family and friends? Along with tonight being the HoF dinner.

Who was it that he met at the Norfolk a couple of years ago? The club was aware of that meeting at the time and I'd imagine that'd be the case here.
To be clear, I don't think he is doing anything untoward nor do I think you can read anything into it. I think it is something you take on face value.

The point I was making was the media won't and thats why I think he is trolling them a little.

Who is Fremantle's Zac Dawson???

That my friends is the real head scratcher.
We don't have a bonafide whipping boy who constantly gets picked regardless atm. Maybe Ballas if he was fit?

Back