Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Wouldn’t want Silvagni at any time.
We could use some assistant coaches with experience and Sylvagni fits that criteria with 4 years at Saints with Lyon. If Lyon rates him and he wants to come to Perth, he would be a very decent option.

With his list management, I think he needed stronger over-sight. It was clearly unbalanced. But the idea of luring GWS players is one other clubs have also been doing (Lobb and McCarthy), though obviously not to the level Carlton did. I wouldn't be letting him anywhere near our list management unless the ex-WA players on Carlton's list had their names in the ring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on his cv I struggle to see how Silvagni is any better than what we’ve already got? Except perhaps experience at other clubs which when the clubs are GWS and Carlton is no big deal.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Based on his cv I struggle to see how Silvagni is any better than what we’ve already got? Except perhaps experience at other clubs which when the clubs are GWS and Carlton is no big deal.
From his CV has he done the coach training course?

Sweetback

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm operating on the assumption its a beat up, but one small possibility is that is an attempt by Lyon to defang Bell a bit by sticking his mate into the org structure in order to reduce Bells direct reports. E.G. have all the off field football departments report to SOS (List Management, NGA etc.). So Bells only direct reports become SOS and Lyon himself, rather than currently where Lyon, Micallef and Mzungu etc. presumably all report direct to Bell individually.

Yes I realise it's a long bow.
I doubt SOS would move across the country, disrupt his wife’s media commitments and distance himself from his children all to be a puppet to leverage power for the unfounded assumptions about Ross’s tenuous working relationship with Belly.

BlueE

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
And he is a "yes man" based on what exactly?

I think what we need is an experienced assistant coach who potentially can transition into the senior role.
And that's not him. He hasn't been an assistant coach for years and is out of touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greyhairs

Debutant
May 6, 2019
Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins.
We need people who are highly competent. It doesn't matter if they are 16, 95 or somewhere in between.
Being up with the modern game is a good start I reckon.
95 might be a bit too old but I get your drift.
Perhaps I should have said NEW blood instead of YOUNG blood eh!
Being competent is obviously a needed qualification but signing up blokes that have been around for years with little or no success is hardly the answer.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We need people who are up with the modern game.
Young blood is needed.
Hale and Guerra seem like our weak points in the coaching team. I don't see "young" as the important bit. In fact I hope we get some senior assistant through the door.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re Bell's role,
I don't care if he wants to cut the oranges up or snort coke in the coaching box on match day.
When I went along a couple of weeks ago with my mate's Medallion Club ticket I watched the warmups and Bell was down with the players during drills and very active. I believe he's a really smart man and his record in football speaks for itself.
He can cobble all he wants for mine. since he's been at the club we've been steadily improving in all areas as far as I can tell.

benfica

Team Captain
Aug 5, 2011
woodgreen
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tottenham
Obviously it also involves convincing the CEO it's a good idea.

For the record I'm not actually super comfortable with the sight of Belly, GM of football, stomping around on matchday with whiteboards and giving quarter time interviews. This seems like going past helping out (Bondy use to help run the interchange from memory?) to borderline interference. In my view the head of footy can't be managing the whole of the footy department and meaningfully concentrate on matchday detail to any significant degree.
team bell over team rob lyon's anyday

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If Essendon turf Woosha, he'd make a great line coach. Probably suit him too as he'd be keen to come back to Perth.
I can't see why you think he would make a great line coach. I think that kind of job best suits aspirational coaches who work their butts off to get some runs on the board. If we brought in an experienced AFL coach as an assistant I think it should be for their strategic input, and as a likely succession plan candidate.

Top Bottom