List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been MIA the last few weeks mainly because I've just moved house and trying to move 14 years worth of stuff from a family of four has been a bit crap.

I've been a vocal anti-Ross person but I've certainly enjoyed the last three weeks :)

I heard Fyfey talk after the game today on 6PR and he basically sounds like Ross. Not just the footy/tactical stuff but even sentence structure and sayings. Fyfey is completely bought into Ross and at the moment you have to say it looks like the rest of the team has as well.

As far as rebuilds go it's hard to fault this year so far.

I hated moving for the two of us... painful.

I think we have some evidence that we will be a very good team to watch. The narrative might take a while to change externally but we have some amazing passages of play.

We will need to learn how to go slow in the middle of our fast breaks at some point. Hilly and Bennell will hopefully help with this and it will let us hit hogan etc on leads more often. That’s one of the next steps.

Amazing how quickly the narrative can change. Commentators today repeatedly said what a cracking game it was, report on AFL site called it one of the games of the year, posters on the main board talking about how Hawthorn epitomises the worst of boring keepies off modern football.
Imagine that! Hawthorn are now boring & we’re playing exciting football
We have been insipid verging on unwatchable at times but Ross has got his mojo working again.
He seems to have lost some weight & looks much more relaxed also.
For every Hardwick story where the board has held firm under heavy pressure,backed the coach & been vindicated there are many more Watters, Bolton stories. Just shows sometimes it’s better to hang tough but in real time under pressure from fans, media etc it can’t be easy.
I’ve never doubted Lyons ability to build tough competitive teams I just wanted to enjoy watching us play exciting football & doubted that would happen under him but kudos. He looks reinvigorated & certainly the team is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not going to but I bet it sounds like any set of fans of a rebuilding club (and even some middle or the road clubs - guarantee Port is blaming the umps and Ken on their board).

We fans are emotional, not rationale. It is not surprising we don't make sense a lot of the time.

A difference is other teams have had to be far more patient with their rebuilds compared to how our fans have been with ours. 2nd year into the rebuild the fans were already calling for the coaches head, one that had made two grand finals with two separate teams. "emotional" is a pretty flattering way to frame it.

A difference is other teams have had to be far more patient with their rebuilds compared to how our fans have been with ours. 2nd year into the rebuild the fans were already calling for the coaches head, one that had made two grand finals with two separate teams. "emotional" is a pretty flattering way to frame it.
I'm really enjoying the club unfolding the rebuild. As unpredictable as football is, it is looking amazingly well conceived, orchestrated and scheduled.

We have taken a couple of hits like Weller and Neale leaving, significant injuries, key support staff leaving (Bond and Loyd), media vitriol etc, and generally used them as opportunities to improve.

Onfield the most impressive thing for me has been that there has been a clear vision for what our game plan will look like, and then a structured progression towards putting it all together.

Awesome really.

Yes fair to say there are other words I could use.
Even when we lose I think we have pretty reasoned discussion about Ross on here. Check out the Port board, they are absolutely rabid with the ‘sack Hinkley’ stuff.
Yeah nah, no AFL fanbase I know of is reasonable about coaches. There are a few individuals who stay calm (on both sides) but most are riding a rollercoaster.

I'm really enjoying the club unfolding the rebuild. As unpredictable as football is, it is looking amazingly well conceived, orchestrated and scheduled.

We have taken a couple of hits like Weller and Neale leaving, significant injuries, key support staff leaving (Bond and Loyd), media vitriol etc, and generally used them as opportunities to improve.

Onfield the most impressive thing for me has been that there has been a clear vision for what our game plan will look like, and then a structured progression towards putting it all together.

Awesome really.

I'll bet Hardie and Hagdorn disagree...at least whilst FREO are winning they won't be willing to share their pessimistic views that Lyon can't rebuild a team, and we need Suma to save us....that's an added bonus!

Amazing how quickly the narrative can change. Commentators today repeatedly said what a cracking game it was, report on AFL site called it one of the games of the year, posters on the main board talking about how Hawthorn epitomises the worst of boring keepies off modern football.
Imagine that! Hawthorn are now boring & we’re playing exciting football
We have been insipid verging on unwatchable at times but Ross has got his mojo working again.
He seems to have lost some weight & looks much more relaxed also.
For every Hardwick story where the board has held firm under heavy pressure,backed the coach & been vindicated there are many more Watters, Bolton stories. Just shows sometimes it’s better to hang tough but in real time under pressure from fans, media etc it can’t be easy.
I’ve never doubted Lyons ability to build tough competitive teams I just wanted to enjoy watching us play exciting football & doubted that would happen under him but kudos. He looks reinvigorated & certainly the team is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we’re building our own “Hardwick story” and it’ll be interesting to hear about the tough changes that Ross has had to make to his thinking and management style to see these changes to our team, our gameplan, game style take place. We’ve (and he obviously) have even changed from earlier this year. It’s been a massive turn around!

As you say, we’re now enjoyable to watch, the players are enjoying themselves more and winning consistently and realising the ability we have on our list is all that we ever wanted. All of us.

Would we be looking at getting Bolton as an assistant?

We really need to be looking actively in this area

Why?

I’ve been a big critic of our assistants in the past but things are going ok, in fact better than ok at the moment, so why do we need to be looking actively in this area? They seem to be doing their jobs and helping the positive transformation taking place within the whole footy dept.

I think we’re building our own “Hardwick story” and it’ll be interesting to hear about the tough changes that Ross has had to make to his thinking and management style to see these changes to our team, our gameplan, game style take place. We’ve (and he obviously) have even changed from earlier this year. It’s been a massive turn around!

I don't think we've changed from earlier in the year. I mean look at the North game for a blueprint of how we want to play when the opposition lets us do whatever we want.

It's just that we're still a developing team who can't always execute our desired gameplan no matter the circumstances yet. We're getting better at it as the season goes on though. A very 2012 type season, just as many called earlier in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we've changed from earlier in the year. I mean look at the North game for a blueprint of how we want to play when the opposition lets us do whatever we want.

It's just that we're still a developing team who can't always execute our desired gameplan no matter the circumstances yet. We're getting better at it as the season goes on though. A very 2012 type season, just as many called earlier in the year.
Indeed, and it tracks back well before then and evidenced by the recruiting and club statements. They have clearly been targeted to fit a style of play. Worth noting how quickly it has been to transform the team into contention mode.

There were obviously games that went back to our past default of playing behind the ball and pushing right up the ground and not holding a forward structure. Boring and unsuccessful. We’re now attacking even against good opposition and even when it’s not working, we’re sticking to it. We weren’t doing that early in the year.

Three or four weeks ago i posted that ross might be gone by now...i sure know how to put my foot in my mouth. Glad he has turned it around.
I like you was one of the doubters about Ross.
I have posted no melts in the past couple of months as there is nothing to complain about - love the way the team is progressing, even with injury impact.
Ross is going pretty bloody good - and I was wrong.....

I never knock players or the coach on forums.
I have however been consistent in my criticism of aspects of our style, particularly the 5 man and sometimes even fewer, forward line structure.

The 666 rule has forced the hand more than people realise. That’s not to say that our current form is entirely attributable to the new rule but, it is a major factor; precisely what I have been begging for.

It’s undeniable. Playing with one hand behind our back was killing us.
That Gold Coast game can * right off. After centre bounce in the final qtr we had 8 players in defence.

That was on the coach.

I never knock players or the coach on forums.
I have however been consistent in my criticism of aspects of our style, particularly the 5 man and sometimes even fewer, forward line structure.

The 666 rule has forced the hand more than people realise. That’s not to say that our current form is entirely attributable to the new rule but, it is a major factor; precisely what I have been begging for.

It’s undeniable. Playing with one hand behind our back was killing us.
That Gold Coast game can **** right off. After centre bounce in the final qtr we had 8 players in defence.

That was on the coach.
The effects of 666 only last a minute or so. I think you overestimate its effect in general play.

It can be plenty of fun though. Important not to take things too seriously and have a laugh every now and then
That’s for sure lol I laugh at myself plenty of times.
It is hard to make out the mood of posters when you are reading what they have said. Probably a whole lot of posts are taken the wrong way.

The effects of 666 only last a minute or so. I think you overestimate its effect in general play.

Nope. I don’t accept that.
We started games with opponents outnumbering us in the forward line, ostensibly one hand behind our back.
Last game 2018 vs Collingwood we started the final quarter with 3 players in the forward half. That was a game that we had set up for an unlikely victory. Ross was having none of that.

Of course it is only for the bounce down which was highlighted in our loss to GCS when within 20 seconds we got our 8 man defence working.

The new rule is a major factor on how we are playing now because the players can’t maintain running back and forward all game.

Back