List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't make the future all that bright and sunny for the Fremantle football club either

Even if we finished top four next year you would still invent some rationale how it was a fluke and any impending contract extentions for Lyon would be bad for the Fremantle football club. It's pretty apparent your views of Lyon are independent of what actually occurs on field.

Even if we finished top four next year you would still invent some rationale how it was a fluke and any impending contract extentions for Lyon would be bad for the Fremantle football club. It's pretty apparent your views of Lyon are independent of what actually occurs on field.
I want Ross gone because I think we need a change. If he gets us to top 4 next year I would be stoked. But I am not holding my breath that that will occur.

Sorry if you have expanded on this before but, why do you think we need change from Ross Lyon?
I believe his game style is antiquated and dour and he has an unwillingness to accept change. He was great at what he did 10 years ago but his time has come.

He has won 29 out of the last 86 games at about 34% win loss over the last 4 years. Also he over estimates our list. Should of started to turn the wheel after 2013 after losing the grand final and not just trying to do the same thing with the same squad and expecting a different result.

I believe his game style is antiquated and dour and he has an unwillingness to accept change. He was great at what he did 10 years ago but his time has come.

He has won 29 out of the last 86 games at about 34% win loss over the last 4 years. Also he over estimates our list. Should of started to turn the wheel after 2013 after losing the grand final and not just trying to do the same thing with the same squad and expecting a different result.

Fair enough, I think he has demonstrated change by bringing in Hawthorn assistants, attempting to relinquish control by delegating too much and is trying to evolve our game plan such as in games against GWS and Geelong. With such a transient and youthful team it has been hard for the team to get any consistency but even our consistency has improved compared to 2018 when you look at margins, wins and percentage.

I emphatically disagree regarding 2013. We lost to what would turn out to be one of the greatest teams in history at the start of their 3peat by 15 points. The smallest losing margin during that 3peat. If he / the club had of torn down the list at the end of 2013 the club would have been burnt to the ground, especially when you consider we finished top 4 the next 2 years. A bit of luck with injury / availability and who knows what can happen. Even in hindsight having another crack was the right decision, our drafting and development of 1st rounders is what really hurt us from 2015 and on.

Certainly agree that his game style is dour, not sure I am on board with it being antiquated yet. He deserves to be given until round 15 next year after what he has achieved and the current buy in by the players. With our results this year we are clearly headed in the right direction, especially in this AFL environment where teams like Carlton, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast and St Kilda spend 10 years rebuilding.

If he gets us back into finals in 2020 and primed for a GF assault within 2 years of that it is job done.

If he goes, the CEO and Chairman should go too. If they got this appointment wrong I certainly don't trust them to not bring in the next Mark Neeld.

I think your right to an extent. RTB is a good coach & I like the fact that he is coaching next year as we all get the chance to see if he can adjust his style enough over the summer to use his new forward structure.
He has had a taste of what is possible this year, so there is no excuse if he/they can’t come up with a gamestyle that utilises Hogan, Tabs & Lobb. He is definitely changing as a coach, we are seeing a much softer, honest coach recently, but he still as an ego to succeed & it must be killing him watching WCs success in a 2 horse town.
He no doubt does have a morbid trust of his players & I do agree that the list does not bat deep enough, but hindsight probably tells us he needed to start to evolve the list after 2013, but they did have a couple of descent win loss years following.

Fair enough, I think he has demonstrated change by bringing in Hawthorn assistants, attempting to relinquish control by delegating too much and is trying to evolve our game plan such as in games against GWS and Geelong. With such a transient and youthful team it has been hard for the team to get any consistency but even our consistency has improved compared to 2018 when you look at margins, wins and percentage.

I emphatically disagree regarding 2013. We lost to what would turn out to be one of the greatest teams in history at the start of their 3peat by 15 points. The smallest losing margin during that 3peat. If he / the club had of torn down the list at the end of 2013 the club would have been burnt to the ground, especially when you consider we finished top 4 the next 2 years. A bit of luck with injury / availability and who knows what can happen. Even in hindsight having another crack was the right decision, our drafting and development of 1st rounders is what really hurt us from 2015 and on.

Certainly agree that his game style is dour, not sure I am on board with it being antiquated yet. He deserves to be given until round 15 next year after what he has achieved and the current buy in by the players. With our results this year we are clearly headed in the right direction, especially in this

If he gets us back into finals in 2020 and primed for a GF assault within 2 years of that it is job done.

If he goes, the CEO and Chairman should go too. If they got this appointment wrong I certainly don't trust them to not bring in the next Mark Neeld.
With respect to your last paragraph, aren’t you saying that RTB has been relatively successful in your earlier points? Why would they sack Rosich & Alcock?
I just don’t see the the fascination in posters constantly calling for Rosichs head, he pulled off a coup that allowed the club to have its most successful period of its short history.

Brisbane have been rebuilding since Vossy was there.. Comparing us to them only looks favourable to us by a long margin.
No they were just crap and unable to retain players until they replaced their CEO and coach at he end of 2016 and list manger around Feb of 2017.

I have no idea how you think comparing us to Brisbane is favorable to us? By a long margin? They're currently equal top of the ladder and we're 12th.

Last edited:

Certainly agree that his game style is dour, not sure I am on board with it being antiquated yet. He deserves to be given until round 15 next year after what he has achieved and the current buy in by the players. With our results this year we are clearly headed in the right direction, especially in this AFL environment where teams like Carlton, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast and St Kilda spend 10 years rebuilding.

I didn’t say we needed to tear down the list just tinker and fill the needs required to go that next step. Weagles lost in 2015 and knew they needed some more depth and bought in Redden and Jetta . In 2013 we bought in a banged up Gumbleton and 2014 no trades

So Rosich over rules Bell how? You have no answer other than emotive.

If you think Full Club review includes financial, marketing etc it doesn't. The full club would be football operations which he is under his purview.

Again you claimed Rosich over-rules Bell - prove it!
So are you saying Rosich doesn't rule over Bell? Prove it!

Does Rosich the Chief Executive Officer rule over Bell, the General Manager of Football Operations?

I was talking about the football operations review looking at the assistant coaches that Bell is still completing before renewing the assistant contracts. However before Bell has finished and before the other assistants know whether their contracts will be renewed, Rock has his contract renewed and possibly Webb.

Who made that decision? It wasn't Bell. Rosich? RTB telling his cobbler what assistant cobblers he wants?

As far as Rosic over ruling Bell on appointing a new list manager even though we've only appointed a new one 9 months ago I was quoting the Tom Browne report.

Browne said there were also tensions between CEO Steve Rosich and football manager Peter Bell.

“(They) weren’t on the same page as recently as last week on some key football and staff decisions,” Browne said.

“Bell wanted to appoint a new list manager from the Adelaide Crows and Rosich intervened.”

The Dockers appointed list manager Mark Micallef in December last year, but Bell was reporter to have since offered Adelaide’s Binuk Kodituwakku a position in list management.

Bell refuted any tension with Rosich, recently telling AFL.com.au: "Steve's been a wonderful supporter of myself and we've got a really good relationship”.

Last edited:
With respect to your last paragraph, aren’t you saying that RTB has been relatively successful in your earlier points? Why would they sack Rosich & Alcock?
I just don’t see the the fascination in posters constantly calling for Rosichs head, he pulled off a coup that allowed the club to have its most successful period of its short history.

I do think Ross is the right appointment and has done pretty well looking at the rebuild as a whole. My point about Rosich and Alcock was more in relation to if they were to punt him at the end of this year because this rebuild had failed. They backed him and if they lose their nerve now due to factors such as the media (irrelevant), a downturn in membership (5k - kind of expected during a rebuild) or losing major sponsors and being unable to replace them (no evidence of this) then they should go too in my eyes because they have failed and cost us a huge chunk of development.

I guess my point is that for all the people calling for Ross Lyon to be punted as early as late last year, one man does not make the club. I think we are heading in the right direction, if we have cocked up this rebuild then more than Lyon should go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can all be hindsight heroes. What was the alternative?

Plenty of teams who win flags replicate previous game styles or try and take components of it. The very fact that the club did this is indicative of an attemptto change / evolve the game plan.

I agree it was a failure for a range of reasons but what else where they supposed to do?
I also don't think it was a bad idea, but think it's important to look at the reasons why it wasn't successful so we can make effective changes.

None of our assistant coaches have gone on to be rated by the AFL at the end of 2018 as "next off the bench". Although they didn't rate Teague last year, they brought up quite a few assistant names with potential to be successful, but none from us.

At the end of 2015 the Dockers lost their long-time senior development coach Simon Lloyd at the end of the season, as well as midfield coach Brett Kirk and Peter Sumich was demoted from assistant coach to development coach.

Were Hale, Rock and Guerra just not up to coaching standards or experience of Kirk, Lloyd or Sumich?

Was putting Hale, Sumich and Rock in the development team detrimental to the coaches left in the seniors?

Was there no encouragement form RTB to put in the minor changes suggested by Hale?

Was this idea just to make minor changes not enough impossible to work so did RTB overrule and get the new coaches to do what he wants?

Why have none of the coaches done coaching courses available?

They added David Hale, Brent Guerra and Anthony Rock to the coaching staff, but the coaching structure has changed significantly for 2016.

Hale and Rock will work with Sumich and Roger Hayden in the development team.

Hale said the experience that Sumich had acquired as an assistant and line coach at both West Coast and Fremantle over the past 15 years was going to be invaluable for the development team.

"It'll be a huge advantage for us," Hale said.

"He's got a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure he can impart some of that onto us with the amount of time he's spent around good footy programs."

The three-time Hawthorn premiership player has already begun working with the key forwards and ruckmen since arriving in Perth just ahead of pre-season starting.

Simon Eastaugh, who was previously the ruck coach at the Dockers, will team up with former development coach Marc Webb as midfield coaches.

Mark Stone, who was the stoppage coach last season, will now take charge of the Dockers' forward line.

Guerra and Michael Prior are the two defensive coaches.

Hale and Guerra were premiership teammates at Hawthorn.

The Hawks have been the Dockers' nemesis in September over the last few seasons but Hale said Fremantle didn't need to change too much to overhaul the Hawks.

"Obviously they've been around the mark the last few years," he said.

"Hopefully there are a few concepts and ideas we can bring in. We're not revolutionising the game-plan or anything like that.

"I think a lot of the fundamentals they do pretty well, so it's just tinkering with a few things here and there.

"In the end they were three or four goals short of a Grand Final spot last year, so there's not a lot they need to change drastically."

I do think Ross is the right appointment and has done pretty well looking at the rebuild as a whole. My point about Rosich and Alcock was more in relation to if they were to punt him at the end of this year because this rebuild had failed. They backed him and if they lose their nerve now due to factors such as the media (irrelevant), a downturn in membership (5k - kind of expected during a rebuild) or losing major sponsors and being unable to replace them (no evidence of this) then they should go too in my eyes because they have failed and cost us a huge chunk of development.

I guess my point is that for all the people calling for Ross Lyon to be punted as early as late last year, one man does not make the club. I think we are heading in the right direction, if we have cocked up this rebuild then more than Lyon should go.
The club may decide that a change of direction is the best move. It happens sometimes, and doesn't solely make a judgement about the success or failure of a rebuild. The rebuild is more about the list, whereas the senior coach is more about the getting the most from the list. The decision may be that to get the most from the list a fresh start is required.

Like you I think the club will give Lyon every opportunity to display the outcome of the list rebuild next season and to put his case for another crack with us. Regarding Rosich and Alcock, I would be surprised if some draft succession plan isn't in place (same with Lyon).

I've been fairly vocal in calls to sack him...

Having said that, the kernels of what could be a good side and playing style HAVE been evident...good wins against Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Brisbane...coupled with poor losses to the bottom 3 and St Kilda...

We probably have improved, and if we win tomorrow, it would be undeniable...and he should see out his contract at a minimum...

I also think he deserves the final year on the off chance we don't get completely crippled by injury and we have a decent run at it.

I also think if we lose both Hill and Langdon and replace them only with first year rookie draft picks that Lyon is on a hiding to nothing next year...Losing, Sandi, Ballantyne, Kersten, Bennell possibly Stephen Hill, Langdon and Brad Hill in one hit would be a massive hit to our experience, even though most of them haven't been playing.

I don't think the team could sustain the extra hit that losing B Hill and Langdon would present..he'd probably be for the high jump at the end of the year regardless

I also don't think it was a bad idea, but think it's important to look at the reasons why it wasn't successful so we can make effective changes.

None of our assistant coaches have gone on to be rated by the AFL at the end of 2018 as "next off the bench". Although they didn't rate Teague last year, they brought up quite a few assistant names with potential to be successful, but none from us.

At the end of 2015 the Dockers lost their long-time senior development coach Simon Lloyd at the end of the season, as well as midfield coach Brett Kirk and Peter Sumich was demoted from assistant coach to development coach.

Were Hale, Rock and Guerra just not up to coaching standards or experience of Kirk, Lloyd or Sumich?

Was putting Hale, Sumich and Rock in the development team detrimental to the coaches left in the seniors?

Was there no encouragement form RTB to put in the minor changes suggested by Hale?

Was this idea just to make minor changes not enough impossible to work so did RTB overrule and get the new coaches to do what he wants?

I can't answer any of those questions any better than you can.

Agree with what you said about Teague. The media was frothing over Brendon Bolton and look at how well that turned out for Carlton. Our assistant coaches seem to be an issue, it is hard to get people to move to WA especially when there is a 10 team town with plenty of jobs available and Ross Lyon seems to be backed by the board = little opportunity to become head coach.

I imagine Ratten took the St Kilda job because he saw opportunity to take the reigns when Richardson was punted. The club has made mistakes along the way, not sure trying to get in assistants with Hawthorn IP is a hangable offence though. In hindsight it hasn't worked but at the time it seemed like the right call.

As long as the club learns from the mistakes and gets better then great.

They won less games than Freo in 2017-2018.
If you swapped Brisbane Lions and Freos injury lists for 2019, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
And Rockliff, Schache and Beams say Hi.
They changed their S&C team and their CEO, coach and list manager end of 2016 or start of 2017. Yes if we swapped all of those as well we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yeo (WCE), Sam Docherty (Carlton), Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Billy Longer (St Kilda) and Patrick Karnezis (Collingwood), say Hi back.

They added David Hale, Brent Guerra and Anthony Rock to the coaching staff, but the coaching structure has changed significantly for 2016.

Hale and Rock will work with Sumich and Roger Hayden in the development team.

Hale said the experience that Sumich had acquired as an assistant and line coach at both West Coast and Fremantle over the past 15 years was going to be invaluable for the development team.

"It'll be a huge advantage for us," Hale said.

"He's got a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure he can impart some of that onto us with the amount of time he's spent around good footy programs."

The three-time Hawthorn premiership player has already begun working with the key forwards and ruckmen since arriving in Perth just ahead of pre-season starting.

Simon Eastaugh, who was previously the ruck coach at the Dockers, will team up with former development coach Marc Webb as midfield coaches.

Mark Stone, who was the stoppage coach last season, will now take charge of the Dockers' forward line.

Guerra and Michael Prior are the two defensive coaches.

Hale and Guerra were premiership teammates at Hawthorn.

The Hawks have been the Dockers' nemesis in September over the last few seasons but Hale said Fremantle didn't need to change too much to overhaul the Hawks.

"Obviously they've been around the mark the last few years," he said.

"Hopefully there are a few concepts and ideas we can bring in. We're not revolutionising the game-plan or anything like that.

"I think a lot of the fundamentals they do pretty well, so it's just tinkering with a few things here and there.

"In the end they were three or four goals short of a Grand Final spot last year, so there's not a lot they need to change drastically."

Teague has had a long period as an assistant, much longer than Hale for example. The apprenticeship is a long one.

That Carlton and North have gone in-house for their next coach (and Saints highly likely to follow) is not a plus for me. If Teague is a stand out option, why weren't North having a crack at him, and vice-versa with Carlton-Shaw? Why wasn't Ratten poached, and made an offer too good to refuse, or even given the respect of waiting until the season is over so he could be considered?

I see it flying in the face of the classic "leaving no stone unturned" and getting the "best available" mantras regarding coaching appointments, and perhaps revealing a more conservative "better the devil you know" mentality as a response to a lack of stand-out alternatives.

All of those clubs will be telling the media that they got the coach they wanted, but I am not looking at the moves as anything much more than a change forced on the club by poor on-field performances.

It is fairly common for care-taker coaches to do ok, but it is partly driven by a nothing to lose mentality, plus players suddenly playing for their careers. I am not convinced by the appointments at all.

I can't answer any of those questions any better than you can.

Agree with what you said about Teague. The media was frothing over Brendon Bolton and look at how well that turned out for Carlton. Our assistant coaches seem to be an issue, it is hard to get people to move to WA especially when there is a 10 team town with plenty of jobs available and Ross Lyon seems to be backed by the board = little opportunity to become head coach.

I imagine Ratten took the St Kilda job because he saw opportunity to take the reigns when Richardson was punted. The club has made mistakes along the way, not sure trying to get in assistants with Hawthorn IP is a hangable offence though. In hindsight it hasn't worked but at the time it seemed like the right call.

As long as the club learns from the mistakes and gets better then great.
I hope Belly can find some answers, but the basis has to be put in experienced assistant coaches, value and develop skills training under repeated pressure and develop a positive game plan and culture and success should follow.

Not sure if RTB is on the same page with the first three of these ideas.

I've been fairly vocal in calls to sack him...

Having said that, the kernels of what could be a good side and playing style HAVE been evident...good wins against Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Brisbane...coupled with poor losses to the bottom 3 and St Kilda...

We probably have improved, and if we win tomorrow, it would be undeniable...and he should see out his contract at a minimum...

I also think he deserves the final year on the off chance we don't get completely crippled by injury and we have a decent run at it.

I also think if we lose both Hill and Langdon and replace them only with first year rookie draft picks that Lyon is on a hiding to nothing next year...Losing, Sandi, Ballantyne, Kersten, Bennell possibly Stephen Hill, Langdon and Brad Hill in one hit would be a massive hit to our experience, even though most of them haven't been playing.

I don't think the team could sustain the extra hit that losing B Hill and Langdon would present..he'd probably be for the high jump at the end of the year regardless
This is where things get really interesting...if most of us agree that Lyon will be given every chance by the club next year and his fate then decided by how we perform, what happens if injuries strike again? If he gets a pass this year due to the crippled state of our list, if something similar happens again next year should he get an extension?

I hope Belly can find some answers, but the basis has to be put in experienced assistant coaches, value and develop skills training under repeated pressure and develop a positive game plan and culture and success should follow.

Not sure if RTB is on the same page with the first three of these ideas.

Easy for us to make assessments on the outside and criticise what is happening inside. For all we know this is already being implemented and they are addressing the issues.

Our biggest issues to me is inexperience, team cohesion skills. None of which are a quick fix and none are an easy fix. Ross Lyon has the experience to fix them with the right supports.

If we lose B.Hill and Langdon then 2020 is going to be bloody difficult viewing.

This is where things get really interesting...if most of us agree that Lyon will be given every chance by the club next year and his fate then decided by how we perform, what happens if injuries strike again? If he gets a pass this year due to the crippled state of our list, if something similar happens again next year should he get an extension?
If we have a reasonable year, but a season ruined by injury I would think Lyon would want out.

If we have a reasonable year, but a season ruined by injury I would think Lyon would want out.
I tend to agree. The subtle noises he's made about possibly doing something other than senior coaching might indicate next year is an all or nothing year for him, regarding his coaching career.

They changed their S&C team and their CEO, coach and list manager end of 2016 or start of 2017. Yes if we swapped all of those as well we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yeo (WCE), Sam Docherty (Carlton), Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Billy Longer (St Kilda) and Patrick Karnezis (Collingwood), say Hi back.
Brisbane Lions have had one good year, 2019 ... after two very poor years including a wooden spoon, which you are trying to paint as some great transformation of the club.
You claimed that Brisbane Lions have retained their players since end of 2016 start of 2017 yet I named 3 who had left (2 of which were former captains of the club), while you make a big deal about just one of Freo's leaving in that same period (who I believe went to a deal that was several hundred thousands of dollars better each year than what Freo could afford).
And I fail to see how players leaving prior to 2016 has anything to do with the discussion when players still left after 2016.

Back