List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be worried more about the lack of progress our team has made in the skills and game plan department than who leaves early.

Direct you anger and frustration elsewhere. Supporters shouldn't be subject to performances like that which would have struggled to beat Subiaco.

FYI, I stayed until the end.
good, I am glad you did. People gave us crap for losing by 104 points to the swans and only kicked 5 goals on them too. I sat through the infamous 209 game vs the crows when we kicked 1.7.13 in the end.

Is this Ross the Boss thread or the Melt Thread? So many melted hearts... makes me LOLZ.

A young team with absolutely nothing to play for gets pumped by two teams hunting a top 4 position - crikey! Who'd thunk!

If the team were actually trying and got pumped, then maybe there might be issues. But given everybody has checked out for the year, just accept it and move on. COME AT ME!!!

ROSS IS STILL DA BOSS!!!
Fyfe, Johnson, Hamling, Hill brothers, Mundy. When you have those 6 players in your team, you shouldn't be losing by 100 points in back to back weeks. Spare me the crap you just came out with. Nothing to play for? What about our final home and away game at Domain? Our last home game? Pride? Getting pumped by over 100 the week before? Some players are playing for there careers. Teams get smashed in rebuilds, that's a fact, but back to back 100 point losses and three (possibly 4) for the season is an absolute embarrassment, we have some quality players, this s**t simply shouldn't be happening. Ross is not 'da boss' hes struggling to come out with a gameplan in 2017.

I've said this many times, from Round One 2016 to present day, Ross is not boss, he is (over the last two seasons) the worse coach in the AFL.

I'm not really in either camp, my loyalty lies with Freo and what is best for the club. I think that previously was Ross, and now not so much.

I just can't believe how easily he's gotten of with so little pressure. We've had 2 pretty disastrous years and it's all fine cos it's officially a rebuild apparently. a 4 year rebuild. Does that mean Ross gets another 2 years of free passes?

Ross being best buds with the CEO and upper management is hurting us. They're in it for the long haul together and we are just gonna have to go with it. So hopefully the optimists are right and Ross is the man, and losing by close to 100 4 times in a season with a pretty good core group in their prime means nothing. But I just can't see it.

I'd be a lot more worried about RTB if these losses were next year rather than this. If we cop multiple 100 point losses next year, he's probably done.

We've lost to 2 teams who have everything to play for trying to make top 4, where as we are physically and mentally done for the year.

In 2013 we also pumped teams at the end of the season while trying to lock in top 4 (apart from the game where we rested everyone), carrot is much bigger up top.

Ross has played all the kids, stuck with them and probably thrown a few in the deep end early. We've all asked for that but. Our 2016 draft crop looks like a winner and Bennell has finally debuted.

Throw Blakely, Neale, Langdon, AP, Walters Sandi and a top 5 pick into the 22 from yesterday after a big preseason focusing on skill and tweaking/new game plan and there's just too much talent to not improve.

Very confident we can win 10+ games next year. Hell, I'd take same or one less win but with a % around 90-100 and no losses over 40.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like Ross to start playing Fyfe 50/50 at CHF. Or at least start him there each week. He marks the ball better than anyone on our list and could kick 40-50
Imo.

I know he wants to play midfield but it would be better for the team until we draft or trade in a true key forward. Fyfe plays as tall as a Patton type.

Midfield is a position of strength for us (not that youd think that after yesterday) so take Fyfe out and throw forward.

1st rotation in 2018
Sandi Neale Walters Mundy
2nd rotation in 2018
Darcy Fyfe Hill Weller/Tucker/Blakely

Also, I'd like Ross to start playing Fyfe 50/50 at CHF. Or at least start him there each week. He marks the ball better than anyone on our list and could kick 40-50
Imo.

I know he wants to play midfield but it would be better for the team until we draft or trade in a true key forward. Fyfe plays as tall as a Patton type.

Midfield is a position of strength for us (not that youd think that after yesterday) so take Fyfe out and throw forward.

1st rotation in 2018
Sandi Neale Walters Mundy
2nd rotation in 2018
Darcy Fyfe Hill Weller/Tucker/Blakely

Is the midfield really a strength? I think with Fyfe out of there, it would really struggle when the footy gets tough. Even with Fyfe we are struggling when the likes of Sydney have about 7 or 8 players that rotate through there and win hard contested ball.

Outside of Neale, we would like to be playing Fyfe, Blakely, Walters, Bennell, Hill in other positions but we can't due to lack of midfielders. Really think we need 2 players that we can play primarily at most stoppages. 2 tough nuts that play with high intensity like the Crouch brothers.

Right now we are missing Neale, Blakely and Walters and Bennell is being eased in so it's no surprise we are getting belted in the midfield. Our midfield rotations are including Sutcliffe, Suban, etc due to lack of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the midfield really a strength? I think with Fyfe out of there, it would really struggle when the footy gets tough. Even with Fyfe we are struggling when the likes of Sydney have about 7 or 8 players that rotate through there and win hard contested ball.

Outside of Neale, we would like to be playing Fyfe, Blakely, Walters, Bennell, Hill in other positions but we can't due to lack of midfielders. Really think we need 2 players that we can play primarily at most stoppages. 2 tough nuts that play with high intensity like the Crouch brothers.

Right now we are missing Neale, Blakely and Walters and Bennell is being eased in so it's no surprise we are getting belted in the midfield. Our midfield rotations are including Sutcliffe, Suban, etc due to lack of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I agree, it's not a strength as you saw yesterday. But look at the personnel, it has been fairly strong all year ,bar a few bad games, and is the main reason we've been in/won games. The core is pretty damn good.

I'm not saying Fyfe 100% out, and when we're getting flogged through there he should certainly go back in (like Pav used to), but I would like to see Fyfe forward a bit more. His contested marking is elite and wasted with out forward set up lately.

2018 with Neale Walters and Blakely back and Bennell having a pre season under his belt I think it could be achievable.

Right now I agree, it's not a strength as you saw yesterday. But look at the personnel, it has been fairly strong all year ,bar a few bad games, and is the main reason we've been in/won games. The core is pretty damn good.

I'm not saying Fyfe 100% out, and when we're getting flogged through there he should certainly go back in (like Pav used to), but I would like to see Fyfe forward a bit more. His contested marking is elite and wasted with out forward set up lately.

2018 with Neale Walters and Blakely back and Bennell having a pre season under his belt I think it could be achievable.
What about Sydney who had injuries list and allir allir off field stuff to deal with earlier in the season and at the bottom of the ladder for a long time ? Injuries are part of the game.

Can Ross do a rebuild? Freo are paying huge amounts of coin to a guy learning on the job, doesn't have the
credentials to educate, teach skills, and is more focused on effort.
While the orchestra isn't even playing when the ship is going down, where is the passion, innovation from
management?
Club needs to bring in, surround Ross with people that know how to rebuild, focus on development, and be ready
for a change of direction.
Fans can accept close losses, but 100 point thrashings proves that there is something fundamentally wrong with
What we are doing.

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have tried all the methods to vent available thus far, short of putting my thoughts down on paper, this is as close at it will get in the modern world.

I sit here, still utterly disgusted by what happened yesterday, I don't mind losing as long as their is an adequate level of effort on display and some hope for the future. When times are tough, hope is what can bring you back from the brink. Outside of a sublime snap from Harley Bennell, who looks like a shadow of his former self, I just don't see it, I don't see the quality of player, I don't see the gameplan to inspire hope and I don't see us getting better any time soon.

The simpliest metric to measure our year would be to look at the win loss column, perhaps I'm still in shock at the gravity of the margins, but I don't think the W/L columns are truly reflective of just how bad we have been this year. Our percentage is the worst in the competition. Over a 22 game season, numbers don't lie. Points for and against in my opinion is the purest form of measurement. We simply do not value scoring.

Every week, I rock up to the ground when I am home, or on the box when I am away and I see the same patterns. I see Ross crowding the stoppages and thinking we are still the mauling juggernaught of 2013/2014/2015. We're not and I don't think that style holds any credence in the modern game. Every bloody week I see a completely dysfunctional forward line, no targets and forwards who lead away from the ball carrier rather than a connection piece that involves forwards starting, wait for it, forward of the ball, leading up to a ball carrier and pulling defence out of position or making them accountable.

How often do you see Freo players kick it high and long only to be picked up. How often are we tackling inside the 50 this year? Rarely happens. And it's not the fault of the players because when it is forward, it's a hack kick that gets picked off in an out numbered situation and goes back the other way twice as fast. What are we doing, what are we re-building?

What is most galling is the utter shyte that gets fed to us after the games, it's almost as though "it" words have been written and agreed upon earlier in the week to prep for the post match propaganda piece - "growth" "learning" - Frankly, that's a load of bullshit. There's minimal growth and if anything, I see skilled players going backward. How is that growth? How is seeing the free-wheeling Brad Hill turn into a turnover merchant, or his brother look like shadow of the boy who Harvey bought into the mix all those years ago. Where is the dare in our play?

Is there improvement in our kids outside of Darcy? He is a breathe of fresh, raw air but I don't see Weller coming on, I see him regressing. I can't see AFL footballers in Mcarthy, Kersten, Nyhuis, Tucker, Logue - what were we thinking with this kid?! Today with Neale out would have been a perfect opportunity for Weller to be thrown in as an inside mid and told to get his sleeves dirty - instead, I have to watch Suban go round again.

I would really love one journalist grow a pair when Ross starts his fillybustering - which is what it is - and actually asks him the most brutal and relevant question. "How much of way you are playing is your fault?"

I'd love to hear the response, because after today's game he was incredibly quick to pass the buck and talk about the youth, quality of player and anything else that would shirk the responsibility of a sub-par performance for our final home game of the year. I don't care how old a group of men are, there is no excuse for a 22 man vs 22 man contest to blow out by such a margin in one week, let alone two consecutive weeks, nor close to 4 times in a year. At some point there has to be some self-reflection by the man setting the vision.

I am not one to normally ramble and apologies if this is too long, I'm just utterly heart-broken by the performances we are putting out at the moment.

Pissed off 22 year member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Ross do a rebuild? Freo are paying huge amounts of coin to a guy learning on the job, doesn't have the
While the orchestra isn't even playing when the ship is going down, where is the passion, innovation from
management?
Club needs to bring in, surround Ross with people that know how to rebuild, focus on development, and be ready
Fans can accept close losses, but 100 point thrashings proves that there is something fundamentally wrong with
What we are doing.

How do you know Ross doesn't have those credentials? Two weeks ago we would have said Ross has done reasonable job developing our list. This opinion that he is not a developmental coach is hard to take because how do we know unless we give him a chance. Just because ppl on bigfooty and some media ppl say he can't develop a team doesn't mean it's true.

Dockerbay totally agree with you but I have to disagree regarding Logue. People have insane high expectations of him because he's a top 10 draft pick. He had been progressing well recently and has the tools. Just had a mare yesterday but he was not the only one.

I agree with why didn't Ross try Weller in the centre to change things up? We had Suban and Sutcliffe there instead who have both never ever won a contested ball or clear the ball out. Both negative players attempting to quell the opposition players. Relying on Fyfe to win the clearance instead.

Dockerbay totally agree with you but I have to disagree regarding Logue. People have insane high expectations of him because he's a top 10 draft pick. He had been progressing well recently and has the tools. Just had a mare yesterday but he was not the only one.

I agree with why didn't Ross try Weller in the centre to change things up? We had Suban and Sutcliffe there instead who have both never ever won a contested ball or clear the ball out. Both negative players attempting to quell the opposition players. Relying on Fyfe to win the clearance instead.

Logue hasn't shown anything like other young KPD before him, if that's where we are choosing to play him. He doesn't demonstrate an ability to intercept mark consistently, reads the ball poorly in flight, his body positioning is poor, and his kicking is below average.

I fear we were attracted to his size, athleticism and place of birth rather than his football IQ.

Watching Rance/Lever/Macdonald - you saw moments. Yet to see anything that resembles an elite talent. Again, I'm still in a fairly flat space after the last fortnight. Hopefully I'm pissing in the wind here.

management?
What we are doing.

We have 13 players injured at the moment, only 5 playing WAFL including 2 ruckmen, Dawson and Ibbotson.

Our list is decimated, with a full list plus another 6 to 10 players removed and replace with a new players he will be able to show what he can do next year.

We can not keep injury prone players on our list, Clarke just has to go.

There is always more expectation and pressure on top 10 picks. My personal opinion has always been that he went way too high, as he just lacks that footballing nous that is inherent in top 10 picks.

Logue had his best game against Geelong, but since then has gone backwards. Against Sydney and then the Tigers, I felt he was a real liability.

Interesting: Damo saying that Ross will definitely go on in 2018, but if he has another season like 16-17, then it could be curtains for him.

We are a young list with lots of injuries to our core team that was playing when we were playing our competitive best. Our foot soldiers on the weekend were either not up to it or just too inexperienced.

Youth plus 2 that shouldn't be there from yesterday loss
Suban- Need I say more
Sutcliffe - As above
***Both would be at Peel if Ross had his way
Nyhuis - 4 games
Deluca - 4 games
Darcy - 8 games
Ryan - 10 games
Cox - 9 games
Logue - 13 games
Hughes - 23 games
Tucker - 30 games
McCarthy - 40 games and 12 months out
Weller 46 games
**** our expectations are way to high on the above group who haven't even played 50games

Plus the 2 that are still finding their feet after long term injury last year
Bennell - 2 years out
Fyfe- 1 year out
**** Fyfe is getting better and better each week and staying in games longer each week

Then who is out injured from when we were our best?
Neale
Sandi
Walters
Blakely
Langdon
Spurr
Grey
kersten
Sherriden (vast upgrade on Suban)
Peace (can we count him?)

Give the coach a rest and stop looking for a scape goat and exuses and just look at our unfortunate reality that we are at the start of a committed rebuild facing an injury crisis.

Ross needs credit for not falling back to playing his old faithful and getting games into the kids and taking the heat that will come with it
Ibbotson
Pearce
Griffen
Dawson etc

Yes it's hard to watch but what more can we expect. Bring on trade period and a team ready for a big preseason!

Back