List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd be laughing at any other club languishing bottom of the ladder getting belted by 100 points consecutive weeks defending their Coach, perhaps he used to be a good coach but the game changed and he got caught out as he only has one way he knows how

He's under contract
Youre right, a 2 x Premiership player, a Premiership Assistant, A WAFL Runner up GF Coach, a 2013 Runner Up Assistant Coach, he has no clue

So what, beveridge never won a flag, Clarko never won a flag. yadayada

He's under contract

So what, beveridge never won a flag, Clarko never won a flag. yadayada

Beveridge.... Collingwood 2010 Player Development, 2013 Premiership Assistant..., Clarkson did the hard yard in the minors winning a Premiership, Hawks took a gamble the rest is History

** He had a year to run on his Saints contract that he failed to fulfill

Wrong not many here expected freo to win a flag this year , but all the players and some here in BF include Mundy and Walters want to make top 8 because they believe the 4 inclusion plus the 3 amigo will help them to archieve that target .

Freo don't want to rebuild like Melbourne , because BF here afraid of flogging .( NEED MJ,spurr experience. Sean Darcy are he ready, we need ballas experience
are some of the comments here )
Ok.

FFS every supporter no matter where the club finished in the previous season dare's to believe their side will play finals in the coming season. Whats wrong with that? Supporters seasons start with over rating the club and if the season didn't go to plan at the end of the season underrating everything about the club. Its the nature of the beast, get used to it.
Exactly.

I think it is entirely reasonable for the fans and club to think their club can challenge - especially when you have notable list changes and availability like we did.

That's super but the fact remains it's untrue to say we're in the 2nd year of a rebuild when the club didn't commit to rebuilding until round 3 this year.

The mass delistings/trade outs/retirements, all favouring young trade ins as opposed to getting mature bodies, at the end of the last year, isn't part of a rebuild?

Learnt??? The guy has Coached ten seasons for zero Premierships... what has he learnt and adapted?

The zero premierships isn't really a factor in the argument. As the ad goes, past performance is no indicator of future performance.

The failure to adapt is a valid point and one that has my concerns. The game has changed, been changed intentionally by the AFL at least and I am of the view that we have failed to adapt to those changes. That and I think that such a heavy reliance on defence to the detriment of being able to score quickly is an error. We need to be able to do both and that will involve some compromises that haven't materialised.

If he can show that he can adapt, I'd feel less concerned but up till now I have not seen any sign of that

The mass delistings/trade outs/retirements, all favouring young trade ins as opposed to getting mature bodies, at the end of the last year, isn't part of a rebuild?

Apparently, clear statements from Lyon last year that we were in a rebuild don't count either.

Guy McKenna, Neil Craig, Malthouse at Carlton, Leppitsch, Voss, Hird, Buckley, Neeld, Bailey, Laidley, Primus, Knights, Watters, Peter Rhode, Eade x3, McCartney...just some of the other "gambles" that didn't quite cut it.

We've got a great coach, the last 2 weeks suck but the first 10 of the season I bet we all thought Ross was a star. The game changes but not usually in two months.

Youre right, a 2 x Premiership player, a Premiership Assistant, A WAFL Runner up GF Coach, a 2013 Runner Up Assistant Coach, he has no clue

Your criticism of Ross is that he hasn't won a GF, therefore he is crap. Sumich didn't win his GF either (and that was at lowly WAFL level, not AFL level), yet you put Sumich forward as better.

<facepalms>

I don't want to change coach and would like to see Ross see out his contract but IF he is to be replaced, I would throw everything at Stuart Dew; I wouldn't touch Sumich with a 10 foot pole. It can't be a coincidence that he's applied for so many senior coaching gigs and been knocked back for each application. I do think our assistant coaches need some reshuffling though.

I don't want to change coach and would like to see Ross see out his contract but IF he is to be replaced, I would throw everything at Stuart Dew; I wouldn't touch Sumich with a 10 foot pole. It can't be a coincidence that he's applied for so many senior coaching gigs and been knocked back for each application. I do think our assistant coaches need some reshuffling though.
Ross going to be safe until end of next year , the way he mention about Richmond last year and this year performance show that he is willing to learn from past mistake hopefully .
Injuries to players are very important .
Look at Richmond current injuries list

IMG_20170823_123620.jpg

Check out this Richmond article comparison between last year list and this year list .

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-23/tigers-in-the-tank-are-fuelling-top-form

So you think their is zero benefit in giving game time to young players....................
How do you extrapolate that I think there is zero benefit from my comment about missing two games? Some people are extremist / alarmist on here.

I think the youth got plenty of game time. They are mostly tired and ready for a rest now. An extra few games would probably have overloaded them even more. That's what I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross going to be safe until end of next year , the way he mention about Richmond last year and this year performance show that he is willing to learn from past mistake hopefully .
Injuries to players are very important .
Look at Richmond current injuries list

View attachment 406941

Check out this Richmond article comparison between last year list and this year list .

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-23/tigers-in-the-tank-are-fuelling-top-form
Don't get too caught up in the media hype over Richmond. Remember they lost to an undermanned Geelong the week before and we played Resistance-less football against them. A good side will show them up.

They are still an ordinary team and if they win it this year with that team, coach and game plan I will be severely peeved. I reckon Freo '13 were a better side and deserved it more but we had Hawthorn to get over.

It was actually the second stuffed up preseason in a row. The 2016 preseason they tried to implement a new game plan that the players couldn't understand or execute. They changed the running regime and the players weren't fit enough. It is easy to find some very poor moves by the club over the last couple of years.

So the club and Ross have tried many different things yet Ross never changes and can't change his ways.

Don't get too caught up in the media hype over Richmond. Remember they lost to an undermanned Geelong the week before and we played Resistance-less football against them. A good side will show them up.

They are still an ordinary team and if they win it this year with that team, coach and game plan I will be severely peeved. I reckon Freo '13 were a better side and deserved it more but we had Hawthorn to get over.
No doubt we were better in 2013 than they are this year. Unfortunately it means nothing. I think they are about the 5th best side this year. Certainly better than Port (pretenders) and whoever finishes 7th and 8th. Not as good as Sydney or the rest of the top 4. Maybe on par with Geelong?

check his win% in the last two years or are you living in his "so called" glory days where he had decent mature lists pre-built? Saints havent even recovered after the way he left them

Sounding like a closet saints supporter mate. There is no way that Ross is responsible for what happened there after he left, and even if you think there was/is it can in no logical way be applied to any of the last 3 years. Was it his fault that NR etc were the age they were? Or that they didn't manage to draft in even a B grader during his last three seasons.

I would be very interested to know what you do for a living to hold the views you do on learning and being able to measure how, when and the extent of someone's learning from a distance. All we have is results to go by, we don't have access to his journal, his internal mechanisms, personal development sessions, time with mentors, feedback received etc. Nor can we judge him by many metrics outside of player development, use of current assets, player selection and win/loss. To say from the outside, that according to one metric he hasn't learnt anything in his entire coaching career is ridiculous.

When it comes to the things you can judge/assess as mentioned above I think the following:

Player Development - I would have him at a 6-7 out of 10. Fyfe, Shill and Neale have all grown into A graders since he arrived. Blakely is on his way and I don't think Brad Hill is a lesser player than he was at Hawthorn. Which given our lack of wins would point to him having improved since being here. Pav and Mcpharlin both rate his development skills highly. Hamling has improved on last year. Michael Johnson played his best footy under Ross also, by a long way. Given his age profile this may have coincided with his peak playing years, however he definitely didn't regress. Weller is getting opportunity, although currently he is too flakey to be much more that an occasional B grade player with the talents of an A grader. Langon, Hughes, Ryan, Logue, Tucker and Darcy will give us more insight. And so far they are all developing well to extremely well.

Current Assets: 8-9/10 One of his strengths is getting the best out of his players. It unfortunately means we still have to suffer danyle and suban but there aren't many better at this.

Selection: 7/10 the selection of certain foot soldiers has pissed me off for a few seasons now. Having said that we were winning and challenged at a high level for three to four seasons. Also he is on a panel... blame and praise must be shared.

Win/loss: 8/10 Basically the guy has guided teams to wins consistently through his career. I expected pain this year and we have it. Having said that, perspective tells me we doubled our wins from last year and are on the improve.

Still what harm to expose the kids and still fighting for top 8 . They are pretty young team also .if you check their line up this year ,there is no fix best 22.
Ross won't mention them in today presser if Richmond don't do something right this year compare to last year .

Lyon pointed to the Tigers' turnaround as evidence that circumstances could change quickly when speaking to Channel Seven on Tuesday night.

In 2016, Richmond won eight matches (the same tally Fremantle is at) but a season later, the Tigers are well-placed to lock up a top-four berth.

"(The heavy defeats are) not what we're chasing but in the context of the team and the injuries and the personnel, it's not unexpected, even though we want to be more competitive," Lyon said.

"But there's always possibility in going forward. Richmond lost six of eight last year and they lost their last game by 113 points.

"Everyone wants to be dramatic, but there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Your criticism of Ross is that he hasn't won a GF, therefore he is crap. Sumich didn't win his GF either (and that was at lowly WAFL level, not AFL level), yet you put Sumich forward as better.

<facepalms>
Smells of an alias/troll account.

Smells of an alias/troll account.

Maybe, maybe not but he isn't the only one on here that cannot frame a coherent argument or accept there are differing views that could be equally valid.

I reckon there are more 10 year olds on here than trolls some days

As a coach you need some luck also .
Good fixture , no injuries to important players and facing opposition when they are not in form .(Sydney, Richmond)

Ross Lyon reminds me a lot of an older Uncle who used to give me some great advice, but not always relevant to the present day.

For example, he gave me some wonderful insight in the avenue of dating women. You take them out on a date, you treat them like a perfect Gentleman, and you always offer to pay for the meal. At the end of the date you take the young lady back to your car. You get your keys and you unlock her door. You open it for her and let her get in. You close the door. Then what you do is, you walk around the back of the car. As you're walking about the back of the car you glance through the back window-screen.

If she's not leaning over her seat to undo the Driver's lock for you - dump Her. She's too selfish and inconsiderate to be marriage material. The first woman that did this for him he married, and has been with for over 40 years.

The problem is all modern cars have Central Locking.

Still awesome advice - simple and pure, yet so effective. But Ross Lyon's coaching a game with dating advice that's been lost to Central Locking.

Ross Lyon reminds me a lot of an older Uncle who used to give me some great advice, but not always relevant to the present day.

For example, he gave me some wonderful insight in the avenue of dating women. You take them out on a date, you treat them like a perfect Gentleman, and you always offer to pay for the meal. At the end of the date you take the young lady back to your car. You get your keys and you unlock her door. You open it for her and let her get in. You close the door. Then what you do is, you walk around the back of the car. As you're walking about the back of the car you glance through the back window-screen.

If she's not leaning over her seat to undo the Driver's lock for you - dump Her. She's too selfish and inconsiderate to be marriage material. The first woman that did this for him he married, and has been with for over 40 years.

The problem is all modern cars have Central Locking.

Still awesome advice - simple and pure, yet so effective. But Ross Lyon's coaching a game with dating advice that's been lost to Central Locking.
Cut it short .
You think Ross Lyon is outdated.

Back