List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Ausbenito

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some deluded people here ....it's never Ross fault well I got news for you he is the leader of the club and has to be held responsible it's his dour game plan that the players can't implement

They cant back it up week after week last weeks slogfest or whatever it was obviously drained his midfield he refuses to create a more attacking game plan that can be sustained.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We tried to handball ALOT. But our execution let us down. Are you suggesting it’s Ross’ fault? We fumbled everything, dropped chest marks and had more inside 50’s. At times we were not hard at the footy and had far too many passengers. It was a game we should have won,, but our effort and execution was lacking. Not game plan at all (IMO)

Handballed a lot because there were no targets going forward to kick to.

To show how little system we had going forward 43 of Richmonds 55 inside 50's started as rebounds from our forward 50.

How suprising that a team that takes advantage of s**t inside 50's made us look so average.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you’re my coach and I run against Usain bolt is it your fault I lost? Players were **** tonight and our ball movement atrocious. Not much to do with the coach in this one

But Richmond beat us the same way every time , we overcommit to the contest and they destroy us on the outside

If that's not a coaching problem I dont know what is

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We tried to handball ALOT. But our execution let us down. Are you suggesting it’s Ross’ fault? We fumbled everything, dropped chest marks and had more inside 50’s. At times we were not hard at the footy and had far too many passengers. It was a game we should have one, but our effort and execution was lacking. Not game plan at all (IMO)
Control the ball, the air, tempo, uncontested. Basically watch how WC delt with the Tigers last year at Optus.
We have the height to control the skies just don't bomb it long every time.
Tigers won the outside, groundball, and we played exactly how they knew we would.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The hate is strong in this one. Even when the performance has nothing to do with the coach, you still criticise the coaching. It was players today, pure and simple

It was overuse of the ball. That may well be players ******* up, but it's still within the realm of responsibility of the coach to install a game plan that the players are capable of carrying out.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
But Richmond beat us the same way every time , we overcommit to the contest and they destroy us on the outside

If that's not a coaching problem I dont know what is
Yeah but we seem to beat the Tigers in Melbourne and then lose at home. We played poorly today, it happens. Tigers got smashed last week...

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
We tried to handball ALOT. But our execution let us down. Are you suggesting it’s Ross’ fault?

It's absolutely Ross' fault that our players are always standing next to each other so any handball is going to be less than 5m away and therefore always under more pressure. This is his game plan - numbers around the ball to win the contest in close, worry about the rest later.

Its never as good or as bad as it seems.

We have been much better than last year, there is no doubting that. The results speak for themselves where I would say our best and worst is signficantly better than last year.

The comp is so even that 5% off and you'll quickly be found out. Lost the game in the first 10 minutes then kicking 3 goals 8 in the third, but we should have won against a severely depleted Richmond anyway. Disappointing to say the least.

I'm back to being in the same boat as I was at the start of year. I think we are making progress but I would like to win 3 games in a row at some point this year rather than taking 1 step forward and 6/8 steps back each week.

Aim remains the same. Win 10 games, have a percentage around 100. Which is clearly easily still possible.

Given the forwardline continues to look like dogshit I would at least be chucking money at one of the better forwardline coaches out there

maka

All Australian
Jan 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can you imagine an angry Ross trying to you fire you up at half time 😂 “awe look, I’m pretty disappointed in your game today, perhaps lift a notch please” just doesn’t seem like an angry inspiring guy, seems more like a guy who would give a sermon

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Game was lost on the outside, Tigers moving the ball forward at all times, skilled and tenacious.
While we are trying to create congestion, they just handballed, tapped the ball la Hawks.
Will we ever learn? Congestion kills our game on the rebound, this style of play is ugly takes it toll
and is it sustainable? 2015 has come and gone.
Totally agree.

I am over this.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its never as good or as bad as it seems.

We have been much better than last year, there is no doubting that. The results speak for themselves where I would say our best and worst is signficantly better than last year.

The comp is so even that 5% off and you'll quickly be found out. Lost the game in the first 10 minutes then kicking 3 goals 8 in the third, but we should have won against a severely depleted Richmond anyway. Disappointing to say the least.

I'm back to being in the same boat as I was at the start of year. I think we are making progress but I would like to win 3 games in a row at some point this year rather than taking 1 step forward and 6/8 steps back each week.

Aim remains the same. Win 10 games, have a percentage around 100. Which is clearly easily still possible.

Given the forwardline continues to look like dogshit I would at least be chucking money at one of the better forwardline coaches out there
Sorry, but if Rance was playing, it would have been 10 plus goal defeat.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's absolutely Ross' fault that our players are always standing next to each other so any handball is going to be less than 5m away and therefore always under more pressure. This is his game plan - numbers around the ball to win the contest in close, worry about the rest later.
8th year at the club, set up around the ball is horrible.

Sorry, but if Rance was playing, it would have been 10 plus goal defeat.
Nah, Rance does not make the Richmond that played today (and they played quite well) a 6 goal better side.

Even if he did (which again, he wouldnt), I believe that is significantly better result than the last few times we played them anyway

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Game was lost on the outside, Tigers moving the ball forward at all times, skilled and tenacious.
While we are trying to create congestion, they just handballed, tapped the ball la Hawks.
Will we ever learn? Congestion kills our game on the rebound, this style of play is ugly takes it toll
and is it sustainable? 2015 has come and gone.

This needs to be quoted again for emphasis.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah, Rance does not make the Richmond that played today (and they played quite well) a 6 goal better side.

Even if he did (which again, he wouldnt), I believe that is significantly better result than the last few times we played them anyway
Ye, he does.

At times we kill them in the air and with Rance their that wouldn't have happen.

Rance being there would have set the right match ups and plus his ability to mark everything his way.

Ye, he does.

At times we kill them in the air and with Rance their that wouldn't have happen.

Rance being there would have set the right match ups and plus his ability to mark everything his way.
Except they did that reasonably well regardless, only so much you can add onto that.

Agree to disagree

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well the ballcuppers will have their work cut out for them this week , not expecting to see the impassioned 1300 word essays on why we are still on the right track with the right skipper at the wheel till about Thursday at the earliest

Tigers are missing half their team, and 20 fit players, yet get beat by 4 goals at home.

Not sure why anybody thinks this is not an extremely bad loss.
I dont know if you are reading something different into my original post than what I said.

""We should have won against a severely depleted Richmond anyway"

"Disappointing to say the least"

"Forwardline continues to look like dogshit"

Clearly I am not happy with the performance and I am disappointed with the loss. My post says that. You then asserted something that didnt really have to do with my post anyway and I disputed that

I dont like getting shitty or really happy after 1 or 2 games. I like to evaluate over a block and from the first 8 weeks I believe we have clearly played better than last year. As I said, the eye test and the for/against indicates our best is better and worst isnt as bad. That is what my post was talking about.

TLDR: The game was disappointing and s**t, we are better than last year, I dont think Ross is safe or doomed yet as there is evidence for both ways

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
A few things I noticed that Ross didn’t change today:

- when plan A isn’t working, try and use the corridor more. We look better moving through the middle and give ourselves the opportunity to score a few quick goals to get back in the game.
- when flooding isn’t working and their defenders are lining up unmanned across the middle to switch the ball, go man on man to stop the easy switch.
- midfielders spread a bit more evenly around the contest. Too many times they had loose men around the stoppage and could get a quick clearance while all our guys hunted the ball.
- keep a few forwards in the forward half. Too many times we had nobody to kick to and turned it over trying to get the ball into our forward line.
- don’t spoil back into the corridor in our D50.
- take the ball through for a rushed behind than keep it in play; it will reduce the chance of a rushed possession and turnover leading to a shot on goal.
- work harder for guys that are getting tagged out of the game.

I hope the media put the heat on Ross this week although I don’t see Ross changing anything anytime soon.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Momentum. I did not winge last week when the umpires nobble us.
But it took the wind out of this young sides sails.
Not much to take away from this game. Nat is still an idiot with his elbow, brayshaw needs a break & we need to sort out the forward line rubbish.

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Between 1977 and 1983 George Lucas stunned the world with three masterpiece films. Each film was a multi-layered piece of art with each layer a work of beauty. We all believed George Lucas was a true visionary, a man to take the film industry in a new and unique direction, a man who would wield special FX to tell new and exciting stories…

The year is 1999, the fears surrounding Y2K were in full swing. We were wrong to fear Y2K and we were wrong to not fear The Phantom Menace. The Phantom Menace is a disaster of a film from its opening sequence to its relief inducing credit sequence. We trusted George Lucas to deliver us a new and exciting story with modern special FX. Our faith it seems was misplaced, and questions were starting to be asked as to how such an abomination could ever be created. However, some maintained the faith not prepared to face the truth…

The year is 2002, like a battered spouse we returned to the well of misery ready to fill our buckets with disappointment. Even our worst fears were exceeded by the worst movie of all time: Attack of the Clones. Truly one of the most depressing movies of all time, as each minute passes you feel your soul stretched and distorted. Each minute is a lifetime that stretches for eternity. The incoherent plot, the awful special FX and the lifeless directing from George Lucas is the Holy Trinity of awful. Indeed, such evil can only be pre-meditated as such evil cannot arise by accident. Our trip down the river Styx was not over…

The year is 2005, like a prisoner of Azkaban we are begging for the killing blow. Only the most ardent George Lucas faithful remain hopeful, the rest of us watch the Revenge of the Sith with a morbid curiosity. We endure the final 146 minutes of agony, we endure the 146 minutes of deplorable storytelling, we endure the final killing blow of our beloved franchise, we endure because George Lucas cannot win. By now, we had come to the realisation that it was the people around George Lucas that made the original movies great, the people that challenged his ideas led to the creation of three masterpieces.

The year is 2012, a man who liked to be called ‘Boss’ arrived at Fremantle. He soon transformed the team into a winning machine. He created a cult of personality and his believers thought he was the man to lead us to the promised land of premierships. He took an underperforming rabble passed the expectations of the footballing community. Ross Lyon had arrived…

Between 2013 and 2015 Fremantle made multiple attempts to climb the Premiership mountain. Each time they were defeated by their own worst enemy: themselves. By 2015 the Ross Lyon cult had grown and reason had been displaced by blind loyalty. Armed with their keyboards they were prepared to fight rationalists on the beaches, in the streets; they would never surrender. Behind the scenes the team surrounding Ross Lyon was beginning to crumble. The departures of Brett Kirk, Simon Lloyd and most importantly the relegation of the guardian of logic Peter Sumich was not to be understood, but the consequences would soon be apparent.

The year is 2019, I find myself recalling those painful memories of 1999. I am back in the cinema waiting for the next instalment of greatness. The wait had been long and we had been promised so much. The blunder years of 16,17 and 18 were behind us and I was ready to experience the next exciting journey. I was strapped in and just like in 1999 this season has been a procession of disastrously disgusting football, just like in 1999 I am begging for the end credits to roll on this season. Each week an endurance test, each week a new level of hopelessness found, each week returning to the well of disappointment, each week doing battle with the hordes from Lyon’s cult. History is said to rhyme and today 2019 rhymes with the Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and The Revenge of the Sith.

Without the team to challenge George Lucas we had our sense assaulted with filth. Without the team to challenge Ross Lyon we will continue to have our senses assaulted with bad football.

Back