List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Carlton now more of a joke than Freo of Old? We have seen unlimited top draft picks, first time coaches
and no shift from the bottom from several clubs.
Ross has also now proved he can rebuild, change his game plan, for posters to say no club would want him?
Everyone has a used by date, for me Ross deserves one last contract, and a mutual agreement for change.
These days I am incredibly grateful we managed to get a solid coach in Connolly that got us from that 2001 hell. Absolute calamity off the field. Broke and god knows how close we were to folding. Made finals after two years.

Carlton are an absolute shambles. How many years of rebuilding, priority picks do they need? They’re only surviving due to strong financial benefactors and being an ‘old 4’ team.

Ross Lyon linked to Carlton

Do the Dockers sign him up early to kill the talks?
Rosich has to stay in talks with Ross. God knows we don’t want him walking out on us too. But I’m comfortable he ll stay. He’s a Freo man now. It’s a catch 22, you want him gone but then you want to keep him because he’s experienced. The plan is 2020. Carlton are a long way off that. Ross would have to do his own rebuild there anyway.

It is clearly very positive in at the club at the moment and I am sure the contract issues would already have been raised, in a conversational way. And as others have said, Lyon will be wanting to get the job done here.

The problem comes if there is a sense that the club lacks commitment beyond the existing contract, and if a big and long deal is on the table from whatever club is looking.

Fremantle not being pro-active in that situation would be a situation where other clubs will regard him as gettable. We slipped in when the Saints wavered. I realise the situations are not the same, but Neale was contracted, and Lyon had actually notionally agreed to an extension with St Kilda (as I understand it).

Come the end of the year discussions, if he informed the club that he has a 5 year $$$$$ offer on the table, and that he would like to know Fremantle's position, the club isn't going to be saying, "Leave it to the bye and if you have us 6-5 with x% and no blow-outs, we'll give you another year".

And if it did come to that position, he is the one holding all the cards.
Very much so. Exactly what Carlton do possibly do right now. They have the money, and could convince Ross. But does he really want to give up the Freo dream he has, which is currently on track for 2020 to abandon that and go to Carlton with no culture whatsoever? Rebuild over 3-5 years. Does he want to do that again, and it won’t be easy

What if Carlton offer him 5 years on big money?
If Ross is up for a 5 year no guarantee rebuild, then by all means. But he would be further from a premiership then before. Sure it Would be a miracle if he pulled that off. But he is on big money here anyway. The players love him, the CEO and board back him.
Carlton has that fairytale attached to it, but who would be bold enough to do it?

If Ross is up for a 5 year no guarantee rebuild, then by all means. But he would be further from a premiership then before. Sure it Would be a miracle if he pulled that off. But he is on big money here anyway. The players love him, the CEO and board back him.
Carlton has that fairytale attached to it, but who would be bold enough to do it?
You can add that the WA media hate him, and indeed have a target on his back. And the supporter base is divided too.

He is on big money here, but an uncertain future. That is what will be the issue, and with the coaching changes that are happening in the league, if we end the year having shown clear Improvement, I think the club needs to ink and extension, or he will be gone.

I know contracts are contracts etc. But if, for example, Lyon informed the club that he has agreed to join Carlton at the end of his contract. In the interim Carlton will employ Teague as their match coach and Roos as development coach, Lyon stepping in from 2021 at the latest. Fremantle would let him go.

The other thing is having a look at who is emerging as the candidates for both North and Carlton. The very last thing Carlton will want is a rookie coach. So when you look at their potential shortlist the candidates include Scott, Voss and Rattan. It is not difficult to see why Re-born Ross the Rebuilder isn't head and shoulders above them as who you would want. If Carlton are chasing him we need to secure him and show our commitment, and I think that likely comes early August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all media crap. They have nothing else to do but speculate. Block out the noise. Ross is Purple. End of story.

If Ross does leave (I don't think for a second he will) then geez you'd be happy if you are the next coach with what he has left you.
Yes the list is beautifully set up for any incoming coach, and if a change does happen then I would still be optimistic about the future. Like you I don't think it will happen, and don't think it should happen, but the building blocks are pretty exciting.

Water-tight defence peppered with players in AA contention.

Best inside midfielder in the comp, best wing, best forward/2nd ruck, best small forward/mid, great mid support with exciting emerging talent.

Forward line with massive upside.

A superstar emerging from the injured list.

Exciting NGA prospects, including some who hit our areas of deficiency.

We've got a good list, Ross knows that above all else.
But he was spotted in Carlton today (Lygon St) with Steve Silvagni

Tolerance of Victorian dim sims and that cafe's style of sushi? What an appalling condemnation of the palate of both men.

Back