List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We need people who are highly competent. It doesn't matter if they are 16, 95 or somewhere in between.

Being up with the modern game is a good start I reckon.
95 might be a bit too old but I get your drift.
Perhaps I should have said NEW blood instead of YOUNG blood eh!
Being competent is obviously a needed qualification but signing up blokes that have been around for years with little or no success is hardly the answer.

Re Bell's role,
I don't care if he wants to cut the oranges up or snort coke in the coaching box on match day.
When I went along a couple of weeks ago with my mate's Medallion Club ticket I watched the warmups and Bell was down with the players during drills and very active. I believe he's a really smart man and his record in football speaks for itself.
He can cobble all he wants for mine. since he's been at the club we've been steadily improving in all areas as far as I can tell.

Obviously it also involves convincing the CEO it's a good idea.

For the record I'm not actually super comfortable with the sight of Belly, GM of football, stomping around on matchday with whiteboards and giving quarter time interviews. This seems like going past helping out (Bondy use to help run the interchange from memory?) to borderline interference. In my view the head of footy can't be managing the whole of the footy department and meaningfully concentrate on matchday detail to any significant degree.
team bell over team rob lyon's anyday

If Essendon turf Woosha, he'd make a great line coach. Probably suit him too as he'd be keen to come back to Perth.
I can't see why you think he would make a great line coach. I think that kind of job best suits aspirational coaches who work their butts off to get some runs on the board. If we brought in an experienced AFL coach as an assistant I think it should be for their strategic input, and as a likely succession plan candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games like today demonstrate that Ross is communicating effectively with the players, and they're buying in to what he's selling.

I still have a feeling though that many of our weaknesses are due to the quality of our assistants however. Defensively we're sound because Ross knows that area of the ground like no others.

Feel like when we do well in the forward half of the ground though it's due to individual brilliance combined with natural team cohesion as opposed to any solid structure.

Going back to the first 10 pages of this thread makes for some fascinating reading.
I'm not going to but I bet it sounds like any set of fans of a rebuilding club (and even some middle or the road clubs - guarantee Port is blaming the umps and Ken on their board).

We fans are emotional, not rationale. It is not surprising we don't make sense a lot of the time.

Feel like when we do well in the forward half of the ground though it's due to individual brilliance combined with natural team cohesion as opposed to any solid structure.
I'm not sure you can honestly ask much more than what you've just described.
You rely on forwards having some level of X factor. Opposition defenders are very good.
The way Matera played today was exemplary. Cox actually took a shot instead of passing off and guess what? He kicked it. I don't know of we can get much better unless the mids kick a few.

I've been MIA the last few weeks mainly because I've just moved house and trying to move 14 years worth of stuff from a family of four has been a bit crap.

I've been a vocal anti-Ross person but I've certainly enjoyed the last three weeks :)

I heard Fyfey talk after the game today on 6PR and he basically sounds like Ross. Not just the footy/tactical stuff but even sentence structure and sayings. Fyfey is completely bought into Ross and at the moment you have to say it looks like the rest of the team has as well.

As far as rebuilds go it's hard to fault this year so far.

Last edited:
Back