Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish we were playing you guys in 2 weeks time rather than next week. There would be something super poetic about Buddy playing against Hawthorn for his 300th.

As for the game, I honestly don't know what to expect. The Swans were surprisingly good against West Coast, as in it was a performance which made me think "where the hell did that come from" but I am also very aware of just how poor the Swans have been for large portions of 2019 so I honestly don't know which team will turn up.

Out of interest what is your defence like these days, as the Swans have a very tall forward line which is good in terms of marks inside 50 (when the midfield is doing its job) but pretty terrible when it comes to locking the ball inside 50. Who is likely to play on Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakey and what is Hawthorn's run out of defence like in 2019?
I do find it rather amusing that whenever Hawthorn is a topic of conversation on the main board you always know the ins and outs of our list, our depth, who plays where, who's not going well.......and yet here you are asking "So out of interest, what is your defence like?".

Have a look at our win/loss ratio, we're not going great.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
CJ in for Strats (suspended). Lewis in for Glass (omitted). Ross in for Smith (omitted). Wingard in for Poppy (omitted). Scrimshaw in for Brand (omitted).

B: Impey, Frawley, O’Brien
HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick
C: Hendo, Worpel, Scully
HF: Ross, Gunston, Wingard
F: Breust, Lewis, Moore

R: McEvoy, Shiels, O’Meara

I: Ceglar, Burgoyne, Cousins, CJ

Time to play the kids. If Smith wants to look as disinterested as he did on Friday then he can play at Box Hill. Ross, Lewis and CJ belong in prime time - time to get them in. Moore should be persisted with. Breust and Gunston to remain - Gunston to play up forward though rather than roaming the ground.
Smith atm is playing like a man that has been put up for trade. Whether it’s rumours or not it would still be in the back of his mind. Hopefully he can lift his game because ever since he copped that whack to his arm he’s played like absolute dog 💩

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I do find it rather amusing that whenever Hawthorn is a topic of conversation on the main board you always know the ins and outs of our list, our depth, who plays where, who's not going well.......and yet here you are asking "So out of interest, what is your defence like?".

Have a look at our win/loss ratio, we're not going great.

I know bits and pieces about Hawthorn's list. I know you are lacking in midfielders and key forwards but I don't know everything. I for instance have no idea what role Gunston is playing in 2019, nor do I know what your run out of defence is like.

List profiles are easy, I could do that with almost any club, and that is basically what I was looking at with Hawthorn on that other thread.

I however, don't really know your strengths and weaknesses as a club beyond the obvious stuff like seeing your list demographics are not ideal.

I know bits and pieces about Hawthorn's list. I know you are lacking in midfielders and key forwards but I don't know everything. I for instance have no idea what role Gunston is playing in 2019, nor do I know what your run out of defence is like.

List profiles are easy, I could do that with almost any club, and that is basically what I was looking at with Hawthorn on that other thread.

I however, don't really know your strengths and weaknesses as a club beyond the obvious stuff like seeing your list demographics are not ideal.
OK, well we will have Frawley on Franklin.

Brand/Sicily will get the other two talls Reid/McCartin. Impey/Hardwick and Scrimshaw will rotate onto Papley/Blakey.

Our run from defence has been up and down depending on who is available. Scrimshaw makes a difference as Sicily can get off the chain a little more.

We play a press which restricts other teams and rolls across opposition forward halves to suffocate them.

Our concern is the middle and forward of centre where we are not batting deep enough, nor connecting at all well with our forwards.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
OK, well we will have Frawley on Franklin.

Brand/Sicily will get the other two talls Reid/McCartin. Impey/Hardwick and Scrimshaw will rotate onto Papley/Blakey.

Our run from defence has been up and down depending on who is available. Scrimshaw makes a difference as Sicily can get off the chain a little more.

We play a press which restricts other teams and rolls across opposition forward halves to suffocate them.

Thanks for that. Impey being able to play on Blakey and Papley is interesting as they are two very different players. Also I imagine teams are not paying too much attention to Blakey at the moment as while a few times a match he shows some really amazing signs of his talent he is not at the point where he can have a particularly big influence on a game.

Our concern is the middle and forward of centre where we are not batting deep enough, nor connecting at all well with our forwards.

Well you are lining up against a team with the worst inside 50 differential in the AFL so it will be interesting to see which crap midfield comes out on top.

Thanks for that. Impey being able to play on Blakey and Papley is interesting as they are two very different players. Also I imagine teams are not paying too much attention to Blakey at the moment as while a few times a match he shows some really amazing signs of his talent he is not at the point where he can have a particularly big influence on a game.
it wouldn't be for long periods, as Impey would obviously be better suited elsewhere. Plus I forgot about Timmy O who'll probably get Blakey.

Hardwick/Impey get the smalls.

Impey can play tall though, so he may get called to him during transition of play.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really wish we were playing you guys in 2 weeks time rather than next week. There would be something super poetic about Buddy playing against Hawthorn for his 300th.

As for the game, I honestly don't know what to expect. The Swans were surprisingly good against West Coast, as in it was a performance which made me think "where the hell did that come from" but I am also very aware of just how poor the Swans have been for large portions of 2019 so I honestly don't know which team will turn up.

Out of interest what is your defence like these days, as the Swans have a very tall forward line which is good in terms of marks inside 50 (when the midfield is doing its job) but pretty terrible when it comes to locking the ball inside 50. Who is likely to play on Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakey and what is Hawthorn's run out of defence like in 2019?
Impey and Sic are your main concerns on transition.

Chip, Brand and TOB will take the talls. Scrimshaw will play and is 194.

We're low as shark s**t at present, but Clarko loves a back to the wall win.

Chad a chance to play too.

Our best midfielder is injured, and was the swans 5th best midfielder. That's how we are going.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did you see our entries into 50 or our setup Friday night?
Breust has been our most consistent and damaging forward all year but he doesn't get aggro and his misses the odd shot and people call for his head.

He worked his arse off trying to keep it in and when we kicked it we kicked it nowhere near him or Cegs and co slapped it away from where he was or Sicily got in the way or he'd pressured and forced the turn over and was out of position for the returning ball.

It's a worry Breust and Gunston have both looked like passengers at times this yr in the fwd line. Then we throw Sicily fwd and he looks lost and like a passenger. I am of the view it doesn't matter who we have in our forward line our ball use and execution is to slow and poor for any forward to function. It wouldn't matter if we had the pies or the cats forward 6

Why don't our forwards get isolated one on one? Why don't our forwards lead to the ball carrier? Why can't we Lock it in.

Do we need a overhaul of our gameplan? its either not working or the players are to poor to execute it.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a worry Breust and Gunston have both looked like passengers at times this yr in the fwd line. Then we throw Sicily fwd and he looks lost and like a passenger. I am of the view it doesn't matter who we have in our forward line our ball use and execution is to slow and poor for any forward to function. It wouldn't matter if we had the pies or the cats forward 6

Why don't our forwards get isolated one on one? Why don't our forwards lead to the ball carrier? Why can't we Lock it in.

Do we need a overhaul of our gameplan? its either not working or the players are to poor to execute it.
You already answered the question. Our ball movement is slow deliberately. Clarko is trying to protect the defence. But it means we can't score as by the time we launch, it's flooded. Its the definition of insanity. Same s**t for 12 months.

He won't take the shackles off. He simply doesn't trust our midfield.

Hence the low scoring s**t shows we've been watching all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You already answered the question. Our ball movement is slow deliberately. Clarko is trying to protect the defence. But it means we can't score as by the time we launch, it's flooded. Its the definition of insanity. Same **** for 12 months.

Hence the low scoring **** shows we've been watching all year.
Yeah rough time to be a Hawks forward, you get judged like it's the 2014 midfield delivering it in.

With Poppy slowing down, Rioli retired, Rough in the 2s and a revolving door of inexperienced players being tried in there is it any wonder that Gunston and Breust aren't looking as potent as they did.

Gunston gets moved out for extended periods and you've then got Breust as the only dangerous forward but also needing to shoulder more of the defensive responsibilities.

I reckon he's been doing a pretty good job but he gets caught in no man's land sometimes during transition because of it

Glass experiment needs to end. We've tried him as a back flanker, inside mid and then a small forward this week.

Let's cut our losses and send him back to Ireland.

Ross needs to get a crack, ditto CJ.

Brand shouldn't be back in the side either.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You already answered the question. Our ball movement is slow deliberately. Clarko is trying to protect the defence. But it means we can't score as by the time we launch, it's flooded. Its the definition of insanity. Same **** for 12 months.

Hence the low scoring **** shows we've been watching all year.

Your telling me, you might be right he is trying to protect the defense! You hit the nail on its head, if thats the case i think its backfiring!
Our midfield is not capable of maintaining the ball with slow ball movement, the skill errors and turnovers are killing us.
It doesn't matter who you have in defense, Its also killing our fwds the ball movement is so slow when they can't execute that last 30meter kick they elect to bomb it with everyone back!

He must change the style adopting a move it fwd at all cost can't hurt! It would beneift the fwd line and hopefully we can lock it in there enough to set up behind the ball and help the defense.
I would of thought our defence with Frawley,Tob,Sicily,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Impey is capable.

Last edited:

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your telling me, you might be right he is trying to protect the defense. You hit the nail on its head! If thats the case i think its backfiring! Our midfield is not capable of maintaining the ball with slow ballmovement, the skill errors and turnovers are killing us. It doesn't matter who you have in defense. Its also kills our fwds the ball movement is so slow when they can execute the last 30meter kick they elect to bomb it buy that time there 30 players in our forward line.

He must change the style adopting a move it forward and it all cost should beneift the fwd line and hopefully we can lock it in and keep it there. The budogs never had a fnatasroc defense in there premiership with this style.
I would of thought a defence consisting of Frawley,Tob,Sicily,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Impey is capable.

He's trying to avoid shootouts and blowouts. Result is small losses. But lots of em, and the occasional win.

He just doesn't trust our midfield. I understand. But it's getting harder and harder to watch.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's trying to avoid shootouts and blowouts. Result is small losses. But lots of em, and the occasional win.

He just doesn't trust our midfield. I understand. But it's getting harder and harder to watch.

I agree with what your saying he is trying to keep it as tight as possible for as long as possible!
Unfortunately i think this is hindering us thats a high level game plan for a elite side.
We need a simple see ball,get ball,kick ball! game plan until the beneficiarys arrive.
Frustrating times ahead

I’m going up to Sydney for this game, hoping for a result like the last 3 years, where we’ve had some very memorable wins.
It’s always a good weekend up there: if we are losing you can rely on the SCG for some good Pinot noir!

And the Swans supporters are a dull lot without their Pinot.

Those wanting Glass omitted from the team are going to be disappointed. He didn’t dominate against Essendon but that was easily his best game for the year. He needs another 3-4 games under his belt and then he might start to get comfortable in that midfield role.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those wanting Glass omitted from the team are going to be disappointed. He didn’t dominate against Essendon but that was easily his best game for the year. He needs another 3-4 games under his belt and then he might start to get comfortable in that midfield role.
McKenna gives me hope. Bloke will be a star. He was bog the other night.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glass shows a lot of promise imo. He's been played in a heap of different positions, but seems to be doing a lot of good stuff now. He's one of those players who needs to be in every week to build game sense and confidence.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Out: Brand, Puopolo, Glass, Stratton
IN: Lewis, Wingard/Morrison/CJ, Ross, Scrimshaw

Our forward line has been horrendous all year but without a Key Forward it went to a new disturbing low, Lewis should help alot with this being the focal tall, Gunston and Sic playing third talls with Breust and Wingard doing the ground work is something I like a lot. People are hitting the panic button too early next year we will gain back out best midfielder while also adding another elite talent through the midfield we've shown we can restrict scoring all we need to do is add efficiency going forward.

Morrison needs to be playing in the seniors having a down year but this kid is all class and will be a very solid player in the future, Burton had a down year last year as well not saying he's quite on that level but he needs the time Burton got last year to work through the slump. Ross and less extent CJ to be rewarded for form got nothing to lose for here might as well see what our kids have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back