Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Out: Brand, Puopolo, Glass, Stratton
IN: Lewis, Wingard/Morrison/CJ, Ross, Scrimshaw

Our forward line has been horrendous all year but without a Key Forward it went to a new disturbing low, Lewis should help alot with this being the focal tall, Gunston and Sic playing third talls with Breust and Wingard doing the ground work is something I like a lot. People are hitting the panic button too early next year we will gain back out best midfielder while also adding another elite talent through the midfield we've shown we can restrict scoring all we need to do is add efficiency going forward.

Morrison needs to be playing in the seniors having a down year but this kid is all class and will be a very solid player in the future, Burton had a down year last year as well not saying he's quite on that level but he needs the time Burton got last year to work through the slump. Ross and less extent CJ to be rewarded for form got nothing to lose for here might as well see what our kids have.

Don't mind this, but I'd be swapping out Smith instead of Glass if you're bringing in Morrison as it's more of a like for like. Much like Morrison I think Glass needs to play in the seniors all year.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Breust looks injured or at least I hope that is what it is.

Give him a rest and give anyone at Box Hill a game instead.

Most tackles out of anyone on the ground
Equal most tackles in forward 50
Equal most pressure acts with Gunston and Poppy

I suggest our forward entry has a lot of bearing on what Punky can do.
We fart arse around with the ball with careful risk free kicks, which gives the opposition time to push back and crowd our forward line. Punky is one of the best cumbersome in the league, but he can’t work to his strength with long bombs into a crowded forward line.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Normally I'd say 2 changes, at most, but it might be the time to shake things up and go with more.

Don't think Wingard can possibly play as we need him to be extra right to go before we risk another soft tissue injury. Maybe the same for Scrimshaw, but different type of injury.

INS: Lewis, Morrison, Miles,

Lewis - no brainer. What the f were they thinking?
Morrison - Reckon he's a player
Miles - speed, plays either end and need to see if he's an AFL player or not.

OUTS: Glass, Brand, Stratton(?)

Glass was okay-ish, but would like to see more tackles. Maybe coaches see it another way. Was great goal and he was there abouts a few times. Forward entries killing him and the rest of the forward line.

Brand was alright, but shouldn't have got the call up, in my opinion. Unfortunately if Frawley stays fit, he doesn't get games.

Stratton might get rubbed. I love the job he does, most weeks, even though he's slightly off his game. His opponent rarely does well, but he never gets praised.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised everyone expecting Wingard back. I don’t see it happening this week.

Reckon they are dreaming. Has to get a longer crack on the side lines unless he is cherry ripe to go.

Ross in, is a tough call. Mitchell Lewis and Ross back into the side against Sydney... hmmm... could confuse them.. or us.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For me, Ross comes in for Moore.
Lewis has to come back in also, but not sure who goes out.
Assuming Wingard and Scrim are not available this week.

Would like to say Poopy goes out, but we all know that won’t happen. Plus, can’t see us dropping a small for a tall.
I think Brand needs to stay in to cover their tall forwards.
Would also like to see Glass stay and get an extended run. Brings some pace to our midfield which we desperately need.
Cuz has been underwhelming in the last few games, but not sure we can drop him to bring in Ross and Lewis.
If Cuz goes out, then perhaps Harry gets an opportunity.....but not sure I can see that happening.

Poppy is not going anywhere. He might not get on the scoreboard as often, but he's still leading our forward half pressure acts in a canter.

hawkguru

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In:Ross Lewis
Out:Stratton (susp) Brand

Perhaps a small ground won't suit ross debuting but based on vfl form and our constant bombing high into our fwd50 it cant hurt his chances plus we can swing gunston and Sicily around for flexibility. Frawley on buddy and O'Brien on reid with Sicily or gunston as the third tall backman. We really need to somehow lock that ball in our fwd50 as much as possible, cant allow Sydney with easy rebounds. We need to start treating each game as a elimination final if we have any hope of making the 8 starting now!!!

Poppy is not going anywhere. He might not get on the scoreboard as often, but he's still leading our forward half pressure acts in a canter.

We need goals more than pressure acts at present. I love Poppy and his defensive side has been good this year - but we need two things more than that now:

1) Hitting the scoreboard
2) Playing the kids

If someone like Roughy is being put to pasture for the sake of developing the kids then I’m sorry to say that Poppy’s time is up also.

We need goals more than pressure acts at present. I love Poppy and his defensive side has been good this year - but we need two things more than that now:

2) Playing the kids

If someone like Roughy is being put to pasture for the sake of developing the kids then I’m sorry to say that Poppy’s time is up also.

Did you watch the ball being cleared from our attacking 50 on Friday night?

You're proposing that we put out to pasture the best small forward for tackles inside 50, second best small forward in the league by pressure acts and the only small forward we have that can get a ground ball?

Seriously, crazy thought. When we were great through 2012-2015, we had a forward line full of the best ground ball players in the competition. At the moment, it's Geelong who has 3 of the top 10 ground ball players up forward.

We don't get better by dropping the blokes who are protecting us from 50 point drubbings with their effort and intensity.

Did you watch the ball being cleared from our attacking 50 on Friday night?

You're proposing that we put out to pasture the best small forward for tackles inside 50, second best small forward in the league by pressure acts and the only small forward we have that can get a ground ball?

Seriously, crazy thought. When we were great through 2012-2015, we had a forward line full of the best ground ball players in the competition. At the moment, it's Geelong who has 3 of the top 10 ground ball players up forward.

We don't get better by dropping the blokes who are protecting us from 50 point drubbings with their effort and intensity.

And how is his ability to get to the ground ball helping us right now? Our current froward structure can’t come close to doing what we did in 2012-2015 - even last year it was somewhat successful when Schoey was up forward because he nailed that role.

As it stands we need to think differently. Poppy hasn’t been abysmal but he also won’t play in our next flag so let’s bring in the kids who might be. The time for sentiment is well and truly over.

I’ll honestly take another 2-3 goals coming back on us in losses if it means we’re getting closer to scoring more ourselves. Losses this year won’t bother me if we at least play the kids and try to come up with a game style that isn’t as infuriatingly bad as the current one is.

2) Playing the kids

Rogie is spot on I reckon.

We need the ball to stay in our forward half, and Pops pressure is better than anyone on our list.

Rogie is spot on I reckon.

We need the ball to stay in our forward half, and Pops pressure is better than anyone on our list.

That feels like the kid in cricket hoping the ball is never going to be hit to him in the field. Keeping the ball inside our forward 50 when we have such limited scoreboard pressure feels a bit weak for mine. We likely aren't going to play finals, particularly with the run home we have. I would rather unearth the kids that actually have a chance of contending for our next flag than persisting with those who won't in the hope that we can paper over some cracks until Mitchell is fit again.

We need to find a forward structure that can threaten from next year - that has to start now not in January. I am not remotely suggesting we tank - I hope we can pull off some upsets in the next few weeks while gelling our newer crop of players. We stand to gain pretty much nothing by persisting with Poppy - it's time to take the gamble. I would rather lose playing adventurous footy with younger players than serving up the mostly unwatchable crap that was our game against *.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Of course Pop is near the end. It's more of an indictment on the list that we literally have no one who can play his role. Perhaps they budgeted on Mozzie being that bloke until we passed on him thanks to Dodo.

If he doesn't play this week, then good luck stopping Lloyd and Rampe on the rebound. They had 70 between them in the WC win.

And you thought McKenna/ Saad did a number on us...

Of course Pop is near the end. It's more of an indictment on the list that we literally have no one who can play his role. Perhaps they budgeted on Mozzie being that bloke until we passed on him thanks to Dodo.

If he doesn't play this week, then good luck stopping Lloyd and Rampe on the rebound. They had 70 between them in the WC win.

Should have drafted Switta :(

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Not really fussed if we win or lose, we aren't playing finals either way. I'd favour the Swans slightly as they've been better than us in the last month, though our record is impressive in Sydney. Swans by 2-3 goals.

Eh, how many small forwards of an elite caliber are there at AFL level? Hardly an indictment on our list when there are plenty of clubs who have had better access to draft picks that are struggling to find one.

We brought in Minchington to be that additional pressure forward but he can't get continuity in his footy. Moore doesn't fit the bill because he doesn't have the pace.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eh, how many small forwards of an elite caliber are there at AFL level? Hardly an indictment on our list when there are plenty of clubs who have had better access to draft picks that are struggling to find one.

We brought in Minchington to be that additional pressure forward but he can't get continuity in his footy. Moore doesn't fit the bill because he doesn't have the pace.
Doesn't have to be elite mate. Just needs to be able to lay a tackle and apply chase pressure. How hard can it be?

That feels like the kid in cricket hoping the ball is never going to be hit to him in the field. Keeping the ball inside our forward 50 when we have such limited scoreboard pressure feels a bit weak for mine. We likely aren't going to play finals, particularly with the run home we have. I would rather unearth the kids that actually have a chance of contending for our next flag than persisting with those who won't in the hope that we can paper over some cracks until Mitchell is fit again.

We need to find a forward structure that can threaten from next year - that has to start now not in January. I am not remotely suggesting we tank - I hope we can pull off some upsets in the next few weeks while gelling our newer crop of players. We stand to gain pretty much nothing by persisting with Poppy - it's time to take the gamble. I would rather lose playing adventurous footy with younger players than serving up the mostly unwatchable crap that was our game against *.
The thing is we can’t just make wholesale changes....or at least we shouldn’t if we do want to freshen the group up with a view to remaining competitive.

I don’t think Clarkson will make more than 2-3 changes at most, but maybe he surprises me.

Pop’s role is one we most definitely need being fulfilled though and he’s best suited to it, because we can bring in lewis and Ross to change up our forward line, but we know that they’re going to drop marks or get moved off the line of the ball, so having a Poppy around their feet chasing defenders out of the fifty is absolutely integral.

Doesn't have to be elite mate. Just needs to be able to lay a tackle and apply chase pressure. How hard can it be?

That's what I'm saying, it must be pretty difficult because plenty of clubs have struggled to find them. Puopolo is still amongst the best pressure forwards in the comp.

As old as he is he's still amongst the top 2 small forwards in the competition for both Tackles I50 and Pressure Acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back