Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impey is more of a need up forward for mine at the moment.

A forward line of the following guys looks promising and more mobile to me:

HF: Breust, Gunston, Ross
FF: Puopolo, Lewis, Impey

Impey is our most viable option for the second pressure forward alongside Puopolo. Has both elite pace and is a strong tackle. We looked really good against the giants with him up forward.

Lewis, Gunston and Ross make for a slight yet mobile forward line that should be difficult to handle.

For mine, Cousins might also need a spell. Allows us to give Harry Jones a go, reward his effort in the VFL.

For me, Ross comes in for Moore.
Lewis has to come back in also, but not sure who goes out.
Assuming Wingard and Scrim are not available this week.

Would like to say Poopy goes out, but we all know that won’t happen. Plus, can’t see us dropping a small for a tall.
I think Brand needs to stay in to cover their tall forwards.
Would also like to see Glass stay and get an extended run. Brings some pace to our midfield which we desperately need.
Cuz has been underwhelming in the last few games, but not sure we can drop him to bring in Ross and Lewis.
If Cuz goes out, then perhaps Harry gets an opportunity.....but not sure I can see that happening.
Im on the same theory everyone is suggesting for Glass. I believe we need to play Brand continuously from now until seasons end.
In and out of the side never does anyone any favours. I hate to say but our season is pretty much sot in terms of finals so lets play the future game.

For mine, Cousins might also need a spell. Allows us to give Harry Jones a go, reward his effort in the VFL.

Cousins out is only going to overburden Jags even more than he is currently over-burdened. And if Sydney tag him it means Worpel will be carrying a huge workload. Only way for Cousins to go out would be to replace him with Howe.

Last edited:
I never wrote this.

Indeed you didn't. Bigfooty glitch - I only pressed reply and typed my response - I am just a keyboard monkey here!

1560729852275.png

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Cousins out is only going to overburden Jags even more than he is currently over-burdened. And if Sydney tag him it means Worpel will be carrying a huge workload. Only way for Cousins to go out would be to replace him with Howe.

There is no doubt Sydney will tag Jags, either with Hewett or Clark. Why wouldn't they? They have two good options. Jags isn't usually frightened to get his hands dirty though, so the disappointing thing for me from him last week was his tackle numbers, or lack thereof. Is he carrying an injury that puts him on the no tackle list? Impey, O'Brien, and Glass also registered zero tackles. There were also a few times early where Jags didn't seem to want to take possession, and tried kicking off the ground instead.

You can tell pretty early when this team is off. If the tackling and pressure is off, then we struggle. This is a Sydney strength, and if we don't bring our A+ tackling/pressure game, then we are no hope whatsoever.

charliecodpiece

Debutant
Oct 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Out: Stratton, Moore, Brand

In: Lewis, Ross, Morrison

It’s time to give Ross and Lewis a chance for a block of games - they regularly lead the forward line for Box Hill and at the moment it’s the area we most need improvement.

Also think it’s important to get games into one of Morrison/Howe. To me Morrison is a part of the answer in improving the delivery into the forward line.

On Friday the most damaging forward entries were set up by Sicily - need him behind the ball collecting from Brand or Frawley.

Moore looks a player but his real opportunity might come next year as a potential replacement for Poppy.

If Scrimmers is available then potentially Brand goes out.

While it’s very unlike Clarko to make a number of changes I think the lack of options in the forward line might force his hand.

Jones is a contested mid in the VFL. I wouldn't be taking Cousins out to replace him with anyone else, it's more that Jones can come in and offer similar output but is a better user with better pace.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is no doubt Sydney will tag Jags, either with Hewett or Clark. Why wouldn't they? They have two good options. Jags isn't usually frightened to get his hands dirty though, so the disappointing thing for me from him last week was his tackle numbers, or lack thereof. Is he carrying an injury that puts him on the no tackle list? Impey, O'Brien, and Glass also registered zero tackles. There were also a few times early where Jags didn't seem to want to take possession, and tried kicking off the ground instead.

You can tell pretty early when this team is off. If the tackling and pressure is off, then we struggle. This is a Sydney strength, and if we don't bring our A+ tackling/pressure game, then we are no hope whatsoever.

Jags has been very average the last 3games with a tag following him. I dare say he body is taking a hammering, i thought he would come out with a bit of spark after the bye, in fairness Worpel is the only big body around the contest capable of giving him a chop out or a block.

It's a Catch 22 what do you do bring in Howe for Cousins the bigger body? he is very similar to Cousins doesn't win enough of his ball and both are not damaging with it. At least Howe can shutdown a player and make it a 2-2 battle in the center square.

I wouldn't mind a player like Hardwick thrown on the ball, he has more mongrel than both and is clean in dispoal, It couldn't hurt.
All in all not much will change with this negative game plan

Jones is a contested mid in the VFL. I wouldn't be taking Cousins out to replace him with anyone else, it's more that Jones can come in and offer similar output but is a better user with better pace.

Yeah that's my bad - I read Harry Jones but my mind processed it as Jackson Ross.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
An interesting week for selections.

I would just like the following
a) Our senior players to show some hardness at the contest (BB, Silk and Pops excluded)
b) Unlike last week, if one of our new players scores a first AFL goal, get around him ffs (it was piss weak last week when Glass scored his first goal, there was little or no enthusiasm shown to get around him and shove it up the Scums noses)
c) On-field leadership, calling upon the senior troops to rally when pressed by the opposition and deliver the leadership for our youngsters and newbies to the club to follow.
d) All of the above.

Rough hasn't set the world on fire at Box Hill. Isn't it a step backwards/sidewards putting him the side?

Much as i love Roughead.

Oh I wouldn't bring him in, just saying that's probably his best deployment but it'd hurt us long term.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Jags has been very average the last 3games with a tag following him. I dare say he body is taking a hammering, i thought he would come out with a bit of spark after the bye, in fairness Worpel is the only big body around the contest capable of giving him a chop out or a block.

It's a Catch 22 what do you do bring in Howe for Cousins the bigger body? he is very similar to Cousins doesn't win enough of his ball and both are not damaging with it. At least Howe can shutdown a player and make it a 2-2 battle in the center square.

I wouldn't mind a player like Hardwick thrown on the ball, he has more mongrel than both and is clean in dispoal, It couldn't hurt.
All in all not much will change with this negative game plan

I watched a bit of the North v Giants game yesterday, and DeBoer was closely checking Cunnington and Cunnington had no answer either. I don't get why someone just can't run through these taggers once or twice early and let them know what they can expect for the day if they want to hang off a ball player.

As you say, not sure who does this though? Howe is probably the best option, but he has offered nothing offensively this year when he has played. Are there any bigger bodies in the VFL could do this? Could Conor Glass perhaps? Give him a 'protectors' role at stoppages, run into/between Jaeger and tagger, and then run off offensively and be an option.

Idiocy if it's not 2020, no way known we will 7 of our last 10 with our run in and level of play.
I reckon it has been since we lost to the Dees, that was when Clarko said we were middle of the road, that was Rough's last game
Since then we've had a look at a few blokes, and we've not done everything we could to win each week, selection hasn't been about putting the best team on the park, it's been about looking at different setups

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
McKenna gives me hope. Bloke will be a star. He was bog the other night.
He is given a simple role with a license to show flair and run. He hasn't played anywhere else but back flank his entire career so far. It's easy to pot Glass but he hasn't settled in 1 position yet. The guy is actually an excellent kick. It's getting it often enough and being dangerous that he needs to work on.

Wandering Hawk

All Australian
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is Jones ready? Could we give him a run for Cousins?

in: Lewis
out: Stratton
Sicily to play back.

keep Glass in imho. same for Brand.
Wingard and Scrimshaw not to rush back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back