Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a 10 year old was given the license to do the team sheet for this game. Smith forward pocket, Puopolo half forward flank, Roughead half back flank, O'Brien back pocket. :$

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We don't play favorties with the Hawks players, but i must not be the only person whose respect and admiration for Jarman Impey is increasing ever day. He could be our most personable and articulate off the field, and one of the most spirited on the field. Could be our first ever indigenous captain.

We don't play favorties with the Hawks players, but i must not be the only person whose respect and admiration for Jarman Impey is increasing ever day. He could be our most personable and articulate off the field, and one of the most spirited on the field. Could be our first ever indigenous captain.
You're not the only one mate, love the Imp.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolutely baffling team selection and nothing else can describe it.

Mitch Lewis has showed immense promise in his AFL matches and is one of the better performing VFL players (along with Ross). Lewis should have been a lock for the rest of the seasons to get him comfortable/ test him at AFL level.

Glass has hardly performed for long enough at VFL as a mid to justify his selection let alone hold his own now.

During a teams transition/ decline i think the emphasis should be on selling hope to the fans that the future is there, and showing us the kids we have.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Strange and underwhelming selections. KB showed some signs in his first few years when he used to get dropped all the time but appears to me to be getting worse. As i've said before, you don't see good players who have no self belief and constantly look terrified. Its pretty easy to see in the body language. No self assurance. Same goes with TO. Two liabilities.
Jiath should have been given a crack. If he cant be trusted down back let him apply some pressure in the front half as were rubbish up there. Roughead back but Lewis still out (apparently not getting to enuf contests) is not what you'd expect from a team in the bottom 8 and desperate to find a key forward (or Ross, who admittedly is pretty skinny). Don't know why Teia Miles was kept on the list another year. Must have done something horrible as he never played bad at senior level and pretty reliable with ball in hand. Maybe Smith's 30 touches counted for more than some of his feeble efforts last week or they don't want to diminish his value by dropping him again. Clarko obviously knows plenty more than me, but starting to wonder if blokes win games on merit at HFC

Cousins out likely means more mid time for Glass which is a good thing. Hes been playing well in the midfield in the VFL all year so will get a chance to prove himself at this level instead of having to cover injuries

Glass was always going be given an extended run in the team before getting a true reading on where he's at playing as a midfielder. He needs a bit of time adjusting in this new role. Nash was given a fair run in the team before going back to the VFL to work on his weaknesses.

Out of contract and would have a lot of interested suitors, no idea why we're not playing him.

Mitch Lewis has showed immense promise in his AFL matches and is one of the better performing VFL players (along with Ross). Lewis should have been a lock for the rest of the seasons to get him comfortable/ test him at AFL level.

Glass has hardly performed for long enough at VFL as a mid to justify his selection let alone hold his own now.

During a teams transition/ decline i think the emphasis should be on selling hope to the fans that the future is there, and showing us the kids we have.

We're clearly playing for the Noah Anderson Cup - nothing else makes the remotest sense

1DE9E8AB-F6DD-40B0-89FC-5BD193657DFB.gif

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glass was always going be given an extended run in the team before getting a true reading on where he's at playing as a midfielder. He needs a bit of time adjusting in this new role. Nash was given a fair run in the team before going back to the VFL to work on his weaknesses.

This is the thing that is pathetic, we stick fat with these Irish guys who have 2c of bugger all idea how to actually navigate through a game of footy, we then sack a legit key forward talent in Lewis after 2-3 games. Even more so, Clarko talks about finding the next talent who can win us a flag, well it ain’t Nash, it ain’t Glass and it sure as hell not going to be Ruff.

If we we are truely looking for the next wave then play Lewis/Jones and CJ, yes keep some experienced heads around but not in key positions or positions of need.

Why the hell are we playing KB when they only have Franklin and Reid as talls? Our defence is fine with Frawley/Sicily/TOB rotating on the bigs, we don’t need KB.

We have 17 bloody players aged 27+ with 9 in the over 30s, it serves no long term purpose to keep playing those that are holding out the kids. I

If we are tanking then that’s fine, but let’s damn well tank exposing some of the next wave, give them the chance to compete and prepare them for 2020 onwards. Im just confused with the messaging from Clarko and then the actions, it’s bizarre.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have almost completely lost interest in footy at this stage, there’s no more than maybe 3-4 players that excite me on our list, it’s a terrible hawthorn footy side. In saying that, come tomorrow night I’ll be in front of the TV, swearing and carrying on.

Deep down I know the best thing for us is to lose but knowing what Clarko can produce we’re likely to roll them. Both teams are rubbish so I don’t think it’ll be a great spectacle, mainly looking for Lewis and Worpel to continue to develop, would love to see CJ play as well.

Pretty much exactly how i feel this year and even last year.

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
This is the thing that is pathetic, we stick fat with these Irish guys who have 2c of bugger all idea how to actually navigate through a game of footy, we then sack a legit key forward talent in Lewis after 2-3 games. Even more so, Clarko talks about finding the next talent who can win us a flag, well it ain’t Nash, it ain’t Glass and it sure as hell not going to be Ruff.

If we we are truely looking for the next wave then play Lewis/Jones and CJ, yes keep some experienced heads around but not in key positions or positions of need.

Why the hell are we playing KB when they only have Franklin and Reid as talls? Our defence is fine with Frawley/Sicily/TOB rotating on the bigs, we don’t need KB.

We have 17 bloody players aged 27+ with 9 in the over 30s, it serves no long term purpose to keep playing those that are holding out the kids. I

If we are tanking then that’s fine, but let’s damn well tank exposing some of the next wave, give them the chance to compete and prepare them for 2020 onwards. Im just confused with the messaging from Clarko and then the actions, it’s bizarre.

Tanking involved???...I just don't believe Clarkson would ever do that..surely not! ...That insipid game last week and leaving Mitch Lewis out. The kid needs as much game time as possible.
What is going on at Hawthorn?

Yup, there is no look to the future in this side and I honestly can’t figure it out. Winning games isn’t remotely as important this year as getting games into CJ, Lewis, Ross and anyone else who is putting up their hand at Box Hill.

Only real positive is that Morrison can maybe break out of his seniors funk this year and Dylan Moore is getting a chance. However, without Stratton CJ should have really got a shot and the absence of Lewis is beyond baffling.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We're clearly playing for the Noah Anderson Cup - nothing else makes the remotest sense
Thinking the same here.

Rewind to the Brisbane game post match. Clarko was saying how Lewis could've kicked 3 and it would've been a good night out for the lad. Then drops him and still out of the side.

Then he brings in a bloke who's retiring in 8 weeks. What's the faarken point? We can't make finals now.

I get the tanking bit. But normally the best way is to play a ton of kids and get games into them. We're not even doing that right.

Nothing worse than playing blokes who you know will be gone in 8 weeks. Rough, Brand, Poppy most likely gone. Cegs? We don't need 2 rucks v Sinclair who's a Dead set spud.

Thinking the same here.

Rewind to the Brisbane game post match. Clarko was saying how Lewis could've kicked 3 and it would've been a good night out for the lad. Then drops him and still out of the side.

Then he brings in a bloke who's retiring in 8 weeks. What's the faarken point? We can't make finals now.

I get the tanking bit. But normally the best way is to play a ton of kids and get games into them. We're not even doing that right.

Nothing worse than playing blokes who you know will be gone in 8 weeks. Rough, Brand, Poppy most likely gone. Cegs? We don't need 2 rucks v Sinclair who's a Dead set spud.

Cegs maybe a late out for Lewis - with Rough to pinch hit in the ruck maybe? Crossing my fingers this is the plan. Feel for Cegs but I reckon Lewis could have a good night at the tiny SCG.

Mate I am not disagreeing with you. Some of the selections this year have been quite baffling. Selecting out of form players and overlooking players who’ve played reasonably well at VFL level. In saying that Glass deserves a fair go before making an assessment on where he sits and what’s the best role for him going forward. With a full list to choose from I doubt a number of those fringe players would be getting a game though.

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeah, can’t believe the selections. Not playing finals and continue to reward undeserving players.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Clarko always plays safe against Sydney.

Be funny if he actually put Rough on Buddy.

I'll wear this team selection based on Clarko playing it safe.

I'd expect as the season goes on we will see a little more youth but albeit definitely a farewell game in Melbourne. He 's earned that.

TBH more worried about Burgs been pedestrian at best since the injury, at worst? About Roughie form and he was rightly dropped.

He needs to deliver something and shortly.

Cousins well I could play in the middle and get 20 possessions mind you most (probably ALL unless one accidentally fell on a guys chest) would be rubbish.
But I'd probably get a vote for getting 20 possessions... as it would take weeks for anyone to realise they were rubbish.

I like Cousins as a sixth midfielder... even a fifth midfielder, he's been asked to be a 3rd midfielder a fair bit this year, so he'll need his rest at times to regain confidence. Don't think long term it's a bad thing.

Birdofprey

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Iowa Hawkeyes
I am also confused. A few weeks ago, I felt that Clarko had already "racked the cue" for the year. But I expected abit more of a youth policy for the rest of the year. This ones an oddity.

Is he asking some of the older heads to try keepings off one more time at the SCG to pinch a game from them? I reckon he does hate losing to Sydney abit more than other teams...

Lets see how we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back