Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been a young key forward who has been a dominate VFL player for going on 3 seasons now and been ignored like Lewis? You wouldn't blame him for looking what else is on offer... if I was his manager I'd be open to talking to other clubs.

Grimley.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Lewis like some of the other new members in our team has had a go. He now has to go back and work on the feedback he has received. Glass in a phase now where we are looking at what he can do. Similarly if he doesnt stack up or they feel they have seen enough they will send him back with instructions.

Its a process where everything is measured to provide the feedback u need to improve. We juggle this with experience in the team to keep the message consistent.

Lewis needs to stay in the game be able to impact the game for longer periods get that consistency from qtr to qtr. He will return to the side i am sure

The starting 18 is pretty old. Its almost like its getting the band back together for a gig, a few beers, and a catch-up.

Kind of comical.

God I hope we win.

GO HAWKS.
Ok its about one senior player going out and another coming in. A young player going out and another coming not too dissimilar from last weeks team

Birdofprey

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Iowa Hawkeyes
Ok its about one senior player going out and another coming in. A young player going out and another coming not too dissimilar from last weeks team

I know you are right and the one posting common sense. I think I am quite anxious about the future and hoping to see more youth in the mix.

I recall a few matches over last couple of years when we had too many young players and it hurt us abit (panic, being pushed off the ball too often). I am just eager to see what we have for the next tilt.

Will be barracking my arse off for the boys, and love seeing the Ruff out there again.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is the thing that is pathetic, we stick fat with these Irish guys who have 2c of bugger all idea how to actually navigate through a game of footy, we then sack a legit key forward talent in Lewis after 2-3 games. Even more so, Clarko talks about finding the next talent who can win us a flag, well it ain’t Nash, it ain’t Glass and it sure as hell not going to be Ruff.

If we we are truely looking for the next wave then play Lewis/Jones and CJ, yes keep some experienced heads around but not in key positions or positions of need.

Why the hell are we playing KB when they only have Franklin and Reid as talls? Our defence is fine with Frawley/Sicily/TOB rotating on the bigs, we don’t need KB.

We have 17 bloody players aged 27+ with 9 in the over 30s, it serves no long term purpose to keep playing those that are holding out the kids. I

If we are tanking then that’s fine, but let’s damn well tank exposing some of the next wave, give them the chance to compete and prepare them for 2020 onwards. Im just confused with the messaging from Clarko and then the actions, it’s bizarre.
They have Blakey as well so that's 3 talls. Calm down a bit and look at the structures of each team. Do you want Sicily to be utilised in the way that he should or play on Buddy at times because we don't have enough talls back there?, maybe just maybe Brand is playing because we are trying to bump up his trade value. The more exposure the more chance he could get a decent offer from another club. I don't mind rational observations but your shooting from the hip here because your convinced Lewis is the chosen one.

nickrebellious

Premiership Player
May 22, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill
I think Roughead coming in is to help our forward structure. Our forward structure and communication between midfield and forward was shocking against the Bombers. 8 gamer Mitch Lewis or a debuting Jackson Ross would only add to the mess.

He also adds leadership as well with Stratton missing.

In saying all that, I really want to see him play down back at some point during the game.

LurkingHawk

Rookie
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good luck Roughie, kick 5, hold your spot for the rest of the season and go out in the manner you deserve.
Didn't you see the team sheet? Roughie to (centre) half back! :)
As an ex-forward, he has the perfect profile for a modern (post 2015) Hawthorn backman.

Last edited:
Lewis like some of the other new members in our team has had a go. He now has to go back and work on the feedback he has received. Glass in a phase now where we are looking at what he can do. Similarly if he doesnt stack up or they feel they have seen enough they will send him back with instructions.

Its a process where everything is measured to provide the feedback u need to improve. We juggle this with experience in the team to keep the message consistent.

Lewis needs to stay in the game be able to impact the game for longer periods get that consistency from qtr to qtr. He will return to the side i am sure

I appreciate the input and understand what you’re saying - but it gets frustrating when some senior players are coasting on past credits this year and are allowed to continue on while young players showing something in the VFL get overlooked. We have the oldest list in the league, close to no chance of finals and as supporters we want to see the kids get their chance. For mine, Lewis has shown a lot of endeavour and promise and while players might understand why they’re not getting a call up - I can’t imagine that Lewis isn’t privately wondering why the hell he’s not playing seniors.

I appreciate the input and understand what you’re saying - but it gets frustrating when some senior players are coasting on past credits this year and are allowed to continue on while young players showing something in the VFL get overlooked. We have the oldest list in the league, close to no chance of finals and as supporters we want to see the kids get their chance. For mine, Lewis has shown a lot of endeavour and promise and while players might understand why they’re not getting a call up - I can’t imagine that Lewis isn’t privately wondering why the hell he’s not playing seniors.
Is Lewis names for Box Hill this week? Did he play Box Hill last week? Clarko has shown with Rough this year that the past credits have run out. So either he’s got some sort of niggle, or he’s falling way short in his KPIs.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They have Blakey as well so that's 3 talls. Calm down a bit and look at the structures of each team. Do you want Sicily to be utilised in the way that he should or play on Buddy at times because we don't have enough talls back there?, maybe just maybe Brand is playing because we are trying to bump up his trade value. The more exposure the more chance he could get a decent offer from another club. I don't mind rational observations but your shooting from the hip here because your convinced Lewis is the chosen one.
We wont be trading Brand, his one yr extension expires and he'll most likely be delisted.

Is Lewis names for Box Hill this week? Did he play Box Hill last week? Clarko has shown with Rough this year that the past credits have run out. So either he’s got some sort of niggle, or he’s falling way short in his KPIs.

Kicked 2.2 and took 7 marks last week at Box Hill.

No real surprise that Ross didn’t get a game to me. He’s been pretty good at VFL, but he’s skinny as all hell and although he kicked 4 in a half last week, he then barely got near it.

I reckon Clarko figured a harden swans brigade would eat him up.

Lewis didn’t exactly explode at VFL last week either, so if you want a tall to come in who you can rely on and it’s a choice between a young bloke finding his way or an old head who still thinks he’s got something to prove I reckon it’s hard to go past the old bloke.

The selections also suggest to me that Clarko hasn’t given up on the season just yet, which is actually not as bad as some here might think.

Win this, get Chad, Birch and Scrim into the side next week...maybe we build some momentum.

No real surprise that Ross didn’t get a game to me. He’s been pretty good at VFL, but he’s skinny as all hell and although he kicked 4 in a half last week, he then barely got near it.

I reckon Clarko figured a harden swans brigade would eat him up.

Lewis didn’t exactly explode at VFL last week either, so if you want a tall to come in who you can rely on and it’s a choice between a young bloke finding his way or an old head who still thinks he’s got something to prove I reckon it’s hard to go past the old bloke.

The selections also suggest to me that Clarko hasn’t given up on the season just yet, which is actually not as bad as some here might think.

Win this, get Chad, Birch and Scrim into the side next week...maybe we build some momentum.

2020 is more important than 2019. Not suggesting we tank, I still want us to win games. However winning with Ross, CJ and Lewis in the side along with Morrison and Moore is more beneficial for our 2020 prospects.

Should we end up turning in a very similar performance to last week then surely there’s no other options but to put some faith into the kids and start preparing for what we’re going to look like round 1 2020 not round 23 2019.

2020 is more important than 2019. Not suggesting we tank, I still want us to win games. However winning with Ross, CJ and Lewis in the side along with Morrison and Moore is more beneficial for our 2020 prospects.

Should we end up turning in a very similar performance to last week then surely there’s no other options but to put some faith into the kids and start preparing for what we’re going to look like round 1 2020 not round 23 2019.
I dunno mate, I think a stronger showing in the back half of this year could have a few more managers on the phones to GW.

It’s not a bad thing that Clarkson still wants to win.

I dunno mate, I think a stronger showing in the back half of this year could have a few more managers on the phones to GW.

It’s not a bad thing that Clarkson still wants to win.
You don't want to lose that culture of winning and you have to keep the players up or it will get ugly

You don't want to lose that culture of winning and you have to keep the players up or it will get ugly
This too.

Plus, we are 2 games off 6th and it’s round 14.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So we dropped roughead to give lewis games..we then bring in two rucks..lewis takes 2 contested mark in the last quarter..we drop him, then 2 weeks later we bring in roughy and keep 2 rucks, i am very confused

This too.

Plus, we are 2 games off 6th and it’s round 14.

Our run home, our handful of recent insipid performances and our inability to come close to threatening the scoreboard haven’t got me all that confident that we’re going to give the 8 a shake. Happy to be pleasantly surprised - and hey if anyone can coach us to that it’s Clarko. Just not holding my breath.

Our run home, our handful of recent insipid performances and our inability to come close to threatening the scoreboard haven’t got me all that confident that we’re going to give the 8 a shake. Happy to be pleasantly surprised - and hey if anyone can coach us to that it’s Clarko. Just not holding my breath.
Nor am I, but we don’t pay Clarkson to be defeatist.

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can't believe some of the comments on thread about selections. In a forward line that was hopeless Glass was one of the few competitive running forwards last week yet people are calling for him to be dropped.
Likewise it is clear whilst Mitch Lewis was doing some good things he was not competing in many contest and allowing the ball to be cleared to easily. That is why he is in the VFL.
Roughhead is in because we need a marking forward and he may be able to compete on the smaller SCG.
It's pretty simple, Clarkson will not select players will not or cannot compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back