Preview Roughead Returns - Round 14, 2019: Sydney v Hawthorn, 21 June 2019, 7:50pm AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No real surprise that Ross didn’t get a game to me. He’s been pretty good at VFL, but he’s skinny as all hell and although he kicked 4 in a half last week, he then barely got near it.

I reckon Clarko figured a harden swans brigade would eat him up.

Lewis didn’t exactly explode at VFL last week either, so if you want a tall to come in who you can rely on and it’s a choice between a young bloke finding his way or an old head who still thinks he’s got something to prove I reckon it’s hard to go past the old bloke.

The selections also suggest to me that Clarko hasn’t given up on the season just yet, which is actually not as bad as some here might think.

Win this, get Chad, Birch and Scrim into the side next week...maybe we build some momentum.

Thats a Fair enough assessment based of that, where going to try and win as many game this year and make the finals. He reminds the members where a middle road team, but is choosing to ignore looking as far as next season, mixed messages coming out.

Ps Once again Sicily will play fwd with this set-up. I'm not against it just intresting brand plays chb ahead of lewis at ff

Thats a Fair enough assessment based of that, where going to try and win as many game this year and make the finals. He reminds the members where a middle road team, but is choosing to ignore looking as far as next season, mixed messages coming out.
Telling a post match media conference that we’re a middle of the road side and that we are playing like it was a statement of fact at that particular time.

We’re not world beaters, but Clarkson’s job is always to get more out of us and keep us improving. So Clarkson is pushing for us to not be a middle of the road side.

We can’t question him for trying to win games and for having the audacity to try and improve on “middle of the road”, surely?

Everyone knows our list is shot.. Clarko maybe not? 9x30+ year olds and we keep running with them, cray.
Do you really think he has no clue?
Wouldn't it be more likely that his idea on how to build the next contender is different to yours?

Everyone knows our list is shot.. Clarko maybe not? 9x30+ year olds and we keep running with them, cray.
I don't think it's shot at all.

The competition is very even. We are one of many teams not playing well, but it's not like the old days. Richmond, West Coast and the Doggies (less so, they got a bit lucky) proved it. There's a small difference between most teams, and no superstar standout teams.

if we can snare Cogs (a very important piece), get Mitchell back, and spring some trade action, we're not that far. I genuinely believe that. I think this board is catastrophising somewhat with the "We're screwed, trade the guns for whatever we can get and play the kids" talk that has been going around.

People's perceptions are rarely accurate representations of reality...well, except mine, of course.

The competition is very even. We are one of many teams not playing well, but it's not like the old days. Richmond, West Coast and the Doggies (less so, they got a bit lucky) proved it. There's a small difference between most teams, and no superstar standout teams.

if we can snare Cogs (a very important piece), get Mitchell back, and spring some trade action, we're not that far. I genuinely believe that. I think this board is catastrophising somewhat with the "We're screwed, trade the guns for whatever we can get and play the kids" talk that has been going around.

People's perceptions are rarely accurate representations of reality...well, except mine, of course.
catastrophising - is that a real word?

Ps Once again Sicily will play fwd with this set-up. I'm not against it just intresting brand plays chb ahead of lewis at ff

I think we can all agree that we rather swap brand for sis in def and bring in lewis as a fwd, also instead of bringing in howe to tag kennedy or at least give jaegar a chop out physically we decide to add a 4th wingman in morrrison on a small ground go figure :rolleyes: I felt that Lewis was just gaining more confidence each game he played and now he has been demoted and with that hes mojo is gone and has to build it back up again and just a fun fact he took more contested marks in the brissy game than the entire hawthorn fwd line that played against essendon!!

giphy (11).gif

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the comments on thread about selections. In a forward line that was hopeless Glass was one of the few competitive running forwards last week yet people are calling for him to be dropped.
Likewise it is clear whilst Mitch Lewis was doing some good things he was not competing in many contest and allowing the ball to be cleared to easily. That is why he is in the VFL.
Roughhead is in because we need a marking forward and he may be able to compete on the smaller SCG.
It's pretty simple, Clarkson will not select players will not or cannot compete.
Glass got his ass cheeks separated by McKenna last week. Even if we win, it’ll be on the level of the gws win, oppo been a bit below their best. We NEED younger players showing senior level form in these next ten weeks so the planing can be started for 2020!! We have ****ed it in 2019, no silverware so we should play players accordingly. This off course, is a nobody’s opinion. But selections have been raising an eyebrow or two since last year!

I probably should have worded it better mate, specifically I know we can turn it around very quickly and have echoed your thoughts on this board quite a lot. I am really speaking and referencing where our list sits right now, concerning is the age demographics.

For me, I feel it’s ok to be losing or dropping down the ladder with 2-3 x 30yr olds and a large chunk of developing footballers, what’s concerning is we have 9x30 year olds with another 8 knocking on the door and we’re regressing. This is specifically the part that confuses me regarding team selection, Clarko really must feel we can still compete and our vets are still elite performers. That’s what I don’t see.

Do you really think he has no clue?
Wouldn't it be more likely that his idea on how to build the next contender is different to yours?

No absolutely not, Clarko is a genius, part of being a genius is many think your crazy.

Read Sir Alex Ferguson’s books, many thought he was a lunatic but in reality he was the most measured and processed man you’ll come across. It’s simply the fact a lot of us don’t get it, which is fine.

I will say this though, past successes aren’t a guarantee for future success.
We just need to judge on what today looks like and guess what tomorrow brings, based on 2019 it’s not to promising for any of us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really too bothered that Clarko isn't rushing games into kids, because I don't think that a series of games in the seniors is paramount to succeeding the following year.

West Coast played out their 2017 season with their vets, their final team for the year featuring Mitchell, Petrie, Priddis, Wellingham, Mackenzie who were all off the list the next season. They won a premiership in 2018.

At the moment our best 22 has the following demographics:

30+
7​
26-29
7​
20-25
8​

The difference is, most of our 30 and older players are 30. It's not like 2016 where most of our over 30 players are 32, 33 and so on - to the point where it was obviously becoming a weakness of ours.

You still need older, more experienced guys to drive the standards and lead.

Everyone knows our list is shot..
If they don’t know it seems you have made it your mission to tell everyone.

Just like you made it your mission to tell everyone the Birch was a parasite and bleeding the club dry because he was injured.

Dude do you have any idea how this competition works?

Of course our list has holes in it, it’s the price you pay for being so good for so long.

If you said to anyone who knows anything about how the Comp works, that a team would win Back2Back2Back Premierships then they would tell you “That will bite you on the arse” at some point.

I don’t know how long you have been a Hawk but you come across as an entitled millennial who’s seems to think “I don’t like my club as much now we are not winning everything”

I knew at the time of our 3 Peat that we were going to be in for some pain in the coming years, but FFS this club has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century. Only someone that has been a Hawk for 5 minutes would find a reason to whine as much as you do.

I'm actually upset and pissed off that Lewis isn't back in. There must be something going on there, something they're not telling us.

:mad:

Maybe just a reload. He is very young and raw. Needs to work at a few things. No big deal. Lors of young players end up back at Box Hill to learn a few things and refresh their bodies.

Get down and watch him this Saturday. Will be fun

I'm actually upset and pissed off that Lewis isn't back in. There must be something going on there, something they're not telling us.

:mad:

It's pretty obvious that Clarko and the match committee are loathe to do two things. Drop players after 1 game, and elevate players after 1 game of being dropped.

It has happened before, but more often than not we tend to see an extended run of games given to players once they're elevated, and rarely are they brought back after 1 game in the reserves unless there's injury or suspension that forces them in.

I've said this before, but even this year it keeps happening - even with emergencies brought into the side, they are more likely to get a string of games than be dropped after that 1.

Clarko would be using both Box Hill and Hawthorn to see how certain combinations of players line up with each other, and how they should be used. If he sees blokes like Ross and Lewis as forward mainstays for the future, he might want to keep them together.

If they don’t know it seems you have made it your mission to tell everyone.

Just like you made it your mission to tell everyone the Birch was a parasite and bleeding the club dry because he was injured.

Dude do you have any idea how this competition works?

Of course our list has holes in it, it’s the price you pay for being so good for so long.

If you said to anyone who knows anything about how the Comp works, that a team would win Back2Back2Back Premierships then they would tell you “That will bite you on the arse” at some point.

I don’t know how long you have been a Hawk but you come across as an entitled millennial who’s seems to think “I don’t like my club as much now we are not winning everything”

I knew at the time of our 3 Peat that we were going to be in for some pain in the coming years, but FFS this club has been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century. Only someone that has been a Hawk for 5 minutes would find a reason to whine as much as you do.

You're making things up.. I never said Birch was a parasite :rolleyes:, what an idotic and fanciful thing to say, just like so many others on BF you make up things to better suit your argument, if you're going to engage in conversation with me at least do it with truths. I have said that Birch has been a waste of salary for our club for near on 3 years now, I also said that he should have retired and moved into a mentorship/development role to help teach the new wave coming through, I categorically stand by that and believe him coming back to play this year is a waste of time. I did, however, say, now he is getting to a stage of fitness that allows him to play that he should have a farewell game, I am not to naive to look at things objectively and change my tune given circumstances create results I do not have any input in. Birch has been brilliant for our club, he will go down as a hawk great and a brilliant player, but that's where it ends for me.

Don't try and belittle me in publicly, questioning how long I have been a Hawk supporter, maybe the fact I have been here for 15-16 years and have been a life long member may answer that. How long have you been here? What is your contribution? (see how pathetic that questioning is? don't answer, I do not care).

I am not complaining about being in pain, I am saying our age demographics are worrisome, our list as it stands looks in deep strife and I am confused about team selection. I feel (and this is my opinion) that we are better off exposing the next generation, particularly in key positions and positons of need rather than go with the tried and tested (and weathered) 30+ veterans. In my eyes, we are not a finals side, we could be better off long term by exposing some of the guys that have been in the system for 2-3 years in preparation for our next tilt. Is that so hard to imagine for you?

Cousins out? What did I miss here, seemed a certainty to play.

With McCartin out, do we still need Brand? ToB and Frawley should be enough for Bud and Reid
Cousins has been a bit of a cardboard cut out of late.

catastrophising - is that a real word?

Indeed it is...in the world of psychology...

In the field of phobias, and anxiety disorders. It's the tendency of our inner voice to interpret all stimuli in the most threatening, worst-case-scenario outcome.

It's when the self-protective 'ego', or survival instinct, runs amok somewhat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back