Rumour Roughead to step down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your captain certainly doesn't have to be your best player.

I'm actually against someone like Tom getting it, as I think he is at his best with no distractions, just on the coal face tearing it up. The main I would desperately love to get it, is Ben McEvoy - this guy embodies passion and dedication, there aren't many who wear their heart on their sleeve and give their absolute all like BigBoy does, perhaps not since some greats like Stynes and Madden!

I also really like the idea of rucks as captains, they're in the guts, but they also get around the ground, the whole team sees them throughout the game (not just in huddles etc.) Never mind that Ben is very articulate, and whilst softly spoken, I think everyone would listen when he talks.

I'd be very happy for him to be a VC at the very least.

Good points. Definitely a bloke who is passionate about the club. Has become a great Hawthorn person.

Yeah Vanders being captain surely did provide a more fruitful period in this clubs history than Hodge's tenure.

He was our best leader, not our #1 player mate. That's why Mitch handed it over so early, he was our best player but could see Hodgey was the better leader of men.

Sometimes the best leader is coincidentally the best player, but more often than not it isn't. In this case I don't think Tom is our best leader.

Dangerfield isn't captain of Geelong, Bontempelli isn't the captain of the Dogs, Martin isn't the captain of Richmond. The list goes on:

Franklin, Sydney. Sloane, Adelaide. Gray, Port. Shuey, West Coast. Steven, Saints.

None of those stars of their respective clubs, hardly a coincidence.

He was our best leader, not our #1 player mate. That's why Mitch handed it over so early, he was our best player but could see Hodgey was the better leader of men.

Sometimes the best leader is coincidentally the best player, but more often than not it isn't. In this case I don't think Tom is our best leader.

Dangerfield isn't captain of Geelong, Bontempelli isn't the captain of the Dogs, Martin isn't the captain of Richmond. The list goes on:

Franklin, Sydney. Sloane, Adelaide. Gray, Port. Shuey, West Coast. Steven, Saints.

None of those stars of their respective clubs, hardly a coincidence.

Ok he wasn't our no 1 player but he was in our top 3 for about a decade, but yeah to be honest I don't mind who our captain is as long as they are the best leader and a permanent fixture in our 22.

Hmm... so Hodge wasn't our number one player? Is this based on him sacrificing his game for the team and playing out of the midfield while Mitchell played on the ball during his prime years?

Anyway, if Rough has only one more year left in him, I don't see why he cant go out as captain.

Hmm... so Hodge wasn't our number one player? Is this based on him sacrificing his game for the team and playing out of the midfield while Mitchell played on the ball during his prime years?

Anyway, if Rough has only one more year left in him, I don't see why he cant go out as captain.
Yep. Hodgey would have been first man picked every week, even when not captain.

Would rather one Hodge than 10 Dangerfields. And that would be because 10 Dangerfields would hog all the possessions and the team would NEVER hit a target.

Last edited:
I can forgive without hesitation any of Roughy's shortcomings due to everything he's given Hawthorn and the terrible struggle he's been through, but ultimately the needs of club must always come first over the individual so I'll be very relieved to see the captaincy going to a different player next year. From the outside it looks like Roughy has really struggled with the burden, and since becoming captain you could count on one hand the number of times he's lead from the front out on the field.

I'm not a fan of KPP captains in the first place, especially in an era where it has never been more difficult to be a key forward. No doubt this has contributed enormously to Roughy's difficulties in 2017 & 2018, and its to be hoped by offloading the burden of captaincy he can rediscover his joy for football again, extending his career another few years.

Smith strikes me as the kind of "outside player" who is inappropriate to lead the team, because it is vital the kids see the captain doing all the hard stuff and never shirking contact. Tom Mitchell would be absolutely perfect, though I have no idea if his off-field persona is appropriate and he's only been at the club two years. Sicily is too young & hot-headed at this stage, JOM hasn't established himself as a top player yet, Shiels is terribly vanilla & un-inspirational, Gunston frequently shirks contact (watch him closely), Stratton has a reputation for being an oddball, and McEvoy strikes me as a potential candidate though ruckmen captains are fairly rare.

So instead how about.............. Will Langford as Hawthorn captain.

Al Clarkson likes this.

I can forgive without hesitation any of Roughy's shortcomings due to everything he's given Hawthorn and the terrible struggle he's been through, but ultimately the needs of club must always come first over the individual so I'll be very relieved to see the captaincy going to a different player next year. From the outside it looks like Roughy has really struggled with the burden, and since becoming captain you could count on one hand the number of times he's lead from the front out on the field.

I'm not a fan of KPP captains in the first place, especially in an era where it has never been more difficult to be a key forward. No doubt this has contributed enormously to Roughy's difficulties in 2017 & 2018, and its to be hoped by offloading the burden of captaincy he can rediscover his joy for football again, extending his career another few years.

Smith strikes me as the kind of "outside player" who is inappropriate to lead the team, because it is vital the kids see the captain doing all the hard stuff and never shirking contact. Tom Mitchell would be absolutely perfect, though I have no idea if his off-field persona is appropriate and he's only been at the club two years. Sicily is too young & hot-headed at this stage, JOM hasn't established himself as a top player yet, Shiels is terribly vanilla & un-inspirational, Gunston frequently shirks contact (watch him closely), Stratton has a reputation for being an oddball, and McEvoy strikes me as a potential candidate though ruckmen captains are fairly rare.

So instead how about.............. Will Langford as Hawthorn captain.

Al Clarkson likes this.
Nepotism finally delivers. Will Langford C, Sicily VC

I wouldn't be shocked if he retired at the end of the year. He's got a newborn kid and given what he's gone through no one would begrudge him if he decided to call it a day. He's had an amazing career.

600k reasons he doesn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

600k reasons he doesn't

Think he'll have a tonne of offers once the studs are packed away.
Very confident with a mike in front of him, though no idea yet if he's particularly astute observationally....
Could also be a front man for any number of companies that like an imposing, lauded, exceptionally respected man fronting them at meetings.

Think he'll bank more in his first year out of footy - than in his last year in it.

Think he'll have a tonne of offers once the studs are packed away.
Very confident with a mike in front of him, though no idea yet if he's particularly astute observationally....
Could also be a front man for any number of companies that like an imposing, lauded, exceptionally respected man fronting them at meetings.

Think he'll bank more in his first year out of footy - than in his last year in it.

Hmmm, I don't feel like he is great in front of the camera, not particularly smooth or confident and doesn't have a lot of charisma, he is more the honest blue collar country bloke who's a little rough around the edges and a heart of gold. Theres no chance, whatever he does, will bring the money in that he is on now.

I still think theres a spot for him as a player, he contributes although it's not what we have come to expect, so I do expect him to go on but to relinquish the captaincy.

I think that Roughy was the perfect replacement, at the time, for Hodgey to carry us through these last couple years in absence of a massive loss of experience.

I love watching his interviews as he is a staunch bugger, with no time for BS and deals only in facts. As such it keeps media personal on their toes. It has allowed the rest of the leadership group to develop at their own pace naturally while he has shielded them and it is only now that second tier leadership group is finding their voice on the field.

Post footy I reckon lessons learnt via his cancer experience would enable him to make an excellent player welfare manager and ultimately football manager in the same vein as Fagan was. Balanced the interests of both the club and the troops beautifully.

Last edited:
Do we have a new captain in waiting?

I suppose there's a lot of experience and leadership within the current group, but I after coming off the Sam Mitchell/Luke Hodge era, it's a bit hard to imagine this bloke as the next captain of a Hawthorn premiership team... :D

483883-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Cheers to the mods to stop the other thread getting bumped by making this one - top work!

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to Rough standing down and letting someone else take on the captaincy and let him focus on footy. I think Gunston is absolutely ready to step up as captain.

Not a bad plan, Ned. Not sure Smith or Shiels would make top captains, but sure Gunner would, anda not so stressed Rough might just recapture his Coleman form in his twilight playing years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back