Roughy in the Ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

As I watched the game against Carlton on the weekend, I noticed Rough moved into the ruck a few times. He even beat/drew even with Kreuzer a couple of times. With McEvoy clearly being a #1 ruckman, it doesn't look likely that a 2 man ruck set up will be something that Clarko will go with next year - do we throw Rough back in the ruck where he's been serviceable before?

Roughy is great around stoppages and creative when it hits the deck, so is this is something that we use to exploit the bigger slower rucks that seem to have dominated this year? It allows for us to have more midfield presence around centre bounces and stoppages, and if we are still running thin in the midfield next year it gives us insurance.

Probably depend on how he feels and pulls up. He was quite a good ruck, very Paul Dear like when the ball hit's the ground. Great clearance player too. He is better in there than O'Brien if we decide to stick to this model.

Ceglar will return to the best 22. Our best tap ruckman and offers no less up forward than TOB or Shoe.

Having Ceglar in the side limits McEvoy's output though, and he's not exactly athletic. He doesn't have the mobility, the height, endurance or speed to justify carrying him along too.

Having Ceglar in the side limits McEvoy's output though, and he's not exactly athletic. He doesn't have the mobility, the height, endurance or speed to justify carrying him along too.

Ceglar and McEvoy play very well together. You can be sure that Ceglar gets a game ahead of Schoey, and possibly ahead of TOB - who is one of many at risk with Frawley Stratton and Birchall all returning as well.

Rough is great in the ruck against much taller opponents, but he is brilliant as a midfielder so clearly the preference is to have him there.

Pre-Achilles Roughead was mammoth playing around the ball and in the ruck.

Sadly he's never recaptured that form.

He should focus on becoming our forward lynch pin for mine.

I've said ad nauseum that rough would go close to a Charlie if played as a permanent ruck. He's too old now to get relentlessly banged up but by god he was something else roving his own taps

Would love it if Clarko could somehow reinvent Roughy next year, perhaps not as a ruckman though. Just wonder if 2018 could be his last season otherwise.

I disagree with the latter part, he can't be a forward lynch pin. He hasn't got the hands or contested marking ability for it.

I've said ad nauseum that rough would go close to a Charlie if played as a permanent ruck. He's too old now to get relentlessly banged up but by god he was something else roving his own taps

I think you get a bit more sturdy to that kind of stuff when you get older, that's why I think he'd be a viable solution. He's not a permanent ruck in my mind but he's a better chop out ruck than O'Brien at this point.

His marking and especially contested marking is cooked sadly, I don't see him as a candidate for being a quality key forward anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His marking and especially contested marking is cooked sadly, I don't see him as a candidate for being a quality key forward anymore.

I see Roughead thriving in much the same blueprint as Richo and Riewoldt. They prolonged their careers playing up the ground, on a wing or a flank - however Rough would probably be more suited to being a mobile ruck or midfielder due to his contested marking drop off.

No...

roughyachillessnap.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back