Status
Not open for further replies.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hard to believe game week has arrived. Couldn't see a preview thread up yet!

What are we expecting the team to look like this week? Assume McKenna doesn't get up. Dev probably misses out from the GF team, possibly Kai in as his replacement? Payne to come back in down back and Darcy to move forward.

Blues looks like they have a couple of their stars out, so although we haven't started the year fantastically well the last few, it would be a bit disappointing to drop this, particularly at home.

Hard to believe game week has arrived. Couldn't see a preview thread up yet!

What are we expecting the team to look like this week? Assume McKenna doesn't get up. Dev probably misses out from the GF team, possibly Kai in as his replacement? Payne to come back in down back and Darcy to move forward.

Blues looks like they have a couple of their stars out, so although we haven't started the year fantastically well the last few, it would be a bit disappointing to drop this, particularly at home.
Yer come on BRAB , extract that digit and get on it.

Has Lester been good enough in preseason to hold his spot? Is a fit and rejuvenated Gardiner a better option than Lester? Or will Gardiner start as third tall fwd, and Lester holds his place? Has Madden done enough to slot in for McKenna? He's been given every opportunity to take it. Has anyone else impressed enough? Will Tunstill get the nod? With Gardiner 3rd tall and Rayners increased time in the midfield, do they need the extra mid on the bench? Would that then open up a spot for Lohmann on the bench? A lot of questions I'm keen to see answered. Keen to see if changes improve our game.

Hoping the hot hot conditions v Swans didn't take too much out of them. I'm pretty confident Lions win this one. Carlton not at full strength. Home Crowd. Pretty good preseason.

Has Lester been good enough in preseason to hold his spot? Is a fit and rejuvenated Gardiner a better option than Lester? Or will Gardiner start as third tall fwd, and Lester holds his place? Has Madden done enough to slot in for McKenna? He's been given every opportunity to take it. Has anyone else impressed enough? Will Tunstill get the nod? With Gardiner 3rd tall and Rayners increased time in the midfield, do they need the extra mid on the bench? Would that then open up a spot for Lohmann on the bench? A lot of questions I'm keen to see answered. Keen to see if changes improve our game.

Hoping the hot hot conditions v Swans didn't take too much out of them. I'm pretty confident Lions win this one. Carlton not at full strength. Home Crowd. Pretty good preseason.

I think Lester is lucky Dizzy has been forward. Unless he lifts from his preseason form it's going to be an easy decision for who Doedee replaces once he's fit

Whiting team for round one below.
I don't see Ah Chee making the team unless he plays half back until McKenna returns. McKenna could also be named anyhow.
However, Ah Chee did talk to Fagan last year about a position change being fwd/wing which happened. So, Fagan may stick to that.
Madden been given opportunities preseason but underwhelming. Interesting to see if he is named or Prior/Ah Chee.

Whitings team is just about right. If McKenna is cleared to play Madden comes out and Ah Chee possibly sub
If McKenna out i would opt for someone else rather than Madden
Sub could be anyone from Madden, Ah Chee, Lyons, Tunstill

I doubt it will happen yet but wondering if a Cat B rookie, Reville/Brain gets upgraded due to Wills LTI

First game: Opening Round v Carlton at the Gabba, March 8, 6.40pm AEST

B: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich
HB: Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Darcy Wilmot
C: Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Jaspa Fletcher
HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Cam Rayner
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley
I/C: James Madden, Cal Ah Chee, Dayne Zorko, Darcy Gardiner, Kai Lohmann
EMERG: James Tunstill, Jarryd Lyons, Darcy Fort

I think Lester is lucky Dizzy has been forward. Unless he lifts from his preseason form it's going to be an easy decision for who Doedee replaces once he's fit
I guess if Lester is having a shocker Gardiner can always go back. Probably signals to other teams that were also intent on playing Gardiner back in red time. Allows for them to plan for it, take advantage of it. I'm not a fan of that tactic.

Lachie will likely be on reduced minutes.

We should be able to outscore them without Weitering but will be a good first hit out.

I don't see Ah Chee making the team unless he plays half back until McKenna returns. McKenna could also be named anyhow.
However, Ah Chee did talk to Fagan last year about a position change being fwd/wing which happened. So, Fagan may stick to that.
Madden been given opportunities preseason but underwhelming. Interesting to see if he is named or Prior/Ah Chee.

Whitings team is just about right. If McKenna is cleared to play Madden comes out and Ah Chee possibly sub

I doubt it will happen yet but wondering if a Cat B rookie, Reville/Brain gets upgraded due to Wills LTI

I think that 23 is most likely. Depends where they see the need for extra support. If the think they need to cover Madden a bit Ah Chee plays. If they think the midfield needs that extra grunt, Tunstill comes in Ah Chee out. Lohmann I think gets the sub role.

I don't think Madden can play even if McKenna is out based on last weeks game, and that's coming from someone who has wanted to see more of him in the past. In a game with seemingly little pressure, he seemed to find himself under it every time he touched the ball. His mistakes were just far to obvious in that game. Don't mind the idea of Cal at HB in place of McKenna if he's out.

I'd say Lester (back) and Gardiner (forward) are locked in at this point. Im not convinced it will last many rounds but I think its clear we will attempt it for at least the first week.

The bench still seems totally open at this point. Reckon there is about 7 to go into 4/5 still.

McKenna is probably an auto-select if fit. But I am worried about that third HBF at the moment. Madden seems to have the inside track but has been very underwhelming for me so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is our first game of the season.
We have history. I carry scars of past floggings. We've gone confident of a win previous seasons. Historically we have soiled the bed, so why should this year be any different? Need a glorious win to heal thy soul.

Hard to imagine Madden getting a gig off what I have seen so far this pre-season.
I know many hate the idea but I would prefer to see Zorko rolled back in replace of McKenna, he uses the ball well and generally makes good decisions.
Madden has been too indecisive for mine.

I don't think Madden can play even if McKenna is out based on last weeks game, and that's coming from someone who has wanted to see more of him in the past. In a game with seemingly little pressure, he seemed to find himself under it every time he touched the ball. His mistakes were just far to obvious in that game. Don't mind the idea of Cal at HB in place of McKenna if he's out.
I'll be amazed if Madden gets a game. Not just based on last week but anything I've seen last year as well . Clearly he has some talent but just can't seem to produce it consistently without mistakes or initiative to date.

You'd prefer McKenna to be given another week off if there's any doubt at all. Cal could easily fill that role or we roll Zorko back in the rotations.

Glad this was posted as i was feeling overwhelmed at posting my own

Looks about right to me EXCEPT as others have pointed out James Madden. Would think Cal to half back, Tunstill in for Madden. Or maybe Sharp.

Pretty good side. We are missing Doedee but he has never played a game so not a true miss. Ashcroft - gun but hasn't played for ages. McKenna - good player but well covered if Cal is in.

We have been quite for in round 1 as others have pointed out. SURELY we use that to fire up.

Blues will be too, but i don't really buy the 'revenge' angle, they came up as massive underdogs and lost after a great start. Hardly the one that got away other than early lead.

They have some key outs. That is the biggest factor. If you could have 3 of their players out i would select Weitering / Walsh / Curnow. 2 of them are out.

They still have 2 dangerous key forwards so if we lose in the midfield they can still kick a score. Walsh a big out but the only real midfielder out too so they should be okay in there.

Big game looms for Daniher or maybe Hipwood because he will get their third best defender. One of them needs to cause them a headache.

14 in a row up there. Bubble will burst at this stage. I feel a good start this year is just crucial after a GF loss. Freo won't be easy but very winnable. Pies tough but i like getting them off a bye. North should win. Then dees - they could be going well at that point or maybe wheels falling off.

I would argue the Dees and Pies games are much harder than this one, and freo not far off it, mainly because of carlton injuries. So just a must win or we could easily be 2-3 at best.

I’ve spoken with BRAB and he apologises for the delay in getting the official preview up. Gold Coast utilities disconnected his electricity again so he is in the process of connecting some copper wires to his neighbours house to syphon some off.

I’ve spoken with BRAB and he apologises for the delay in getting the official preview up. Gold Coast utilities disconnected his electricity again so he is in the process of connecting some copper wires to his neighbours house to syphon some off.

Thought he was too busy campaigning for Tom Tate to get rejected. Phase 2 of his plan to relocate the Lions to Metricon.

From the bits I have seen to date....Payne has been underwhelming in his outings. He was running laps instead of participating in some preseason training............ probably underdone compared to others. Is he a lock this week?

From the bits I have seen to date....Payne has been underwhelming in his outings. He was running laps instead of participating in some preseason training............ probably underdone compared to others. Is he a lock this week?
I was wondering what the go was with him myself Lazza.

He certainly wasn't overly interested in pushing himself on the weekend nor the match prior.

He was at least out there and I think if they're playing him he's a lock but might need to get a few games under his belt to build fitness.

I was wondering what the go was with him myself Lazza.

He certainly wasn't overly interested in pushing himself on the weekend nor the match prior.

He was at least out there and I think if they're playing him he's a lock but might need to get a few games under his belt to build fitness.
maybe still carrying something and doesn't want to aggravate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back