Autopsy Round 1 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Sunday 25th March 2018, UNSW Oval, 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Welcome back, everyone. I’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to Round 1 with a lot of anticipation.

This time last year, there was a real sense of unfinished business around the club, that we would go one step further than 2016, and make the Grand Final.

Well, it didn’t work out that way, and while we did make a second consecutive preliminary final – and, in terms of development and experience, a very important one – I think it’s fair to say we were never really contenders. It just wasn’t our year.

What about 2018? How far can we go? As mentioned by Giant Strides in his general preview, the poll of club captains shows that seven other skippers think we're one of three main chances for the flag. You’d have to think anything short of that would be seen as under-performing.

So, let’s have a look at the injury list going into Round 1. As of Friday 16th March:

· Matt Buntine Knee 4-5 weeks
· Brent Daniels Knee 2-3 weeks
· Ryan Griffen Ankle 1-2 weeks
· Jacob Hopper Groin Test
· Adam Kennedy Knee 2-3 weeks
· Tom Scully Knee Test
· Will Setterfield Knee Season
· Zac Williams Achilles Indefinite

As you can see, it’s an uncomfortably long list of problems before the season even starts (and the injury to Zac Williams really hurts).

The pre-season saw two good hit-outs against the in-form Swans, and a trouncing of Collingwood. But injuries notwithstanding, we still have a strong list of players putting their hands up for selection.

This is what I think our Round 1 line-up will look like:

B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
C: C. Ward, M. de Boer, S. Coniglio
HF: J. Cameron, D. Shiel, D. Lloyd
F: J. Patton, H. Himmlberg, T. Greene
FOLL: R. Lobb, J. Hopper, J. Kelly

I/C: T. Taranto, B. Deledio, J. Finlayson, Z. Langdon

I wouldn’t include either Hopper or Scully in particular this week. I think we have enough depth to cover for them.

As for the Bulldogs, they’ve seen a bit of turmoil during the off-season, distracted by senior management changes and various player issues, including Jake Stringer being traded in controversial circumstances.

Problems with their forward line cost them dearly last year, and with Stringer gone and Travis Cloke retiring, they’ve used the pre-season to experiment, with mixed results. They used Bontempelli, Macrae and Johannisen against Hawthorn, which worked, but Easton Wood didn’t really perform against Collingwood a couple of weeks ago. I think we might see Bontempelli spend some time up-front.

The corresponding game last year was billed as a contest between two fierce young rivals, and it did not disappoint. We prevailed in hectic circumstances by the razor-thin margin of 2 points. But then, in something of an anti-climax, we crushed them in Round 21 at Etihad by 8 goals. Their season was probably best summed up by Ryan Davidson on the AFL website:

“When you don't make the finals as the reigning premier, it's fair to say your season has been a failure”.

I think they’re going to come out breathing fire. Based on the pre-season, they’ll look to make a quick start, which is something we need to prepare for, as our own starts against the Swans, and even Collingwood, were quite slow. We can’t afford to be caught flat-footed.

I know it’s only Round 1, but seriously, we have to win this game. These guys will be motivated on numerous fronts, and we can’t let them get the better of us.

Giants by 24.

Last edited:
Welcome back, everyone. I’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to Round 1 with a lot of anticipation.

This time last year, there was a real sense of unfinished business around the club, that we would go one step further than 2016, and make the Grand Final.

Well, it didn’t work out that way, and while we did make a second consecutive preliminary final – and, in terms of development and experience, a very important one – I think it’s fair to say we were never really contenders. It just wasn’t our year.

What about 2018? How far can we go? As mentioned by Giant Strides in his general preview, the poll of club captains shows that seven other skippers think we're one of three main chances for the flag. You’d have to think anything short of that would be seen as under-performing.

So, let’s have a look at the injury list going into Round 1. As of Friday 16th March:

· Matt Buntine Knee 4-5 weeks
· Brent Daniels Knee 2-3 weeks
· Ryan Griffen Ankle 1-2 weeks
· Jacob Hopper Groin Test
· Adam Kennedy Knee 2-3 weeks
· Tom Scully Knee Test
· Will Setterfield Knee Season
· Zac Williams Achilles Indefinite

As you can see, it’s an uncomfortably long list of problems before the season even starts (and the injury to Zac Williams really hurts).

The pre-season saw two good hit-outs against the in-form Swans, and a trouncing of Collingwood. But injuries notwithstanding, we still have a strong list of players putting their hands up for selection.

This is what I think our Round 1 line-up will look like:

B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
C: C. Ward, M. de Boer, S. Coniglio
HF: J. Cameron, D. Shiel, D. Lloyd
F: J. Patton, H. Himmlberg, T. Greene
FOLL: R. Lobb, J. Hopper, J. Kelly

I/C: T. Taranto, B. Deledio, J. Finlayson, Z. Langdon

I wouldn’t include either Hopper or Scully in particular this week. I think we have enough depth to cover for them.

As for the Bulldogs, they’ve seen a bit of turmoil during the off-season, distracted by senior management changes and various player issues, including Jake Stringer being traded in controversial circumstances.

Problems with their forward line cost them dearly last year, and with Stringer gone and Travis Cloke retiring, they’ve used the pre-season to experiment, with mixed results. They used Bontempelli, Macrae and Johannisen against Hawthorn, which worked, but Easton Wood didn’t really perform against Collingwood a couple of weeks ago. I think we might see Bontempelli spend some time up-front.

The corresponding game last year was billed as a contest between two fierce young rivals, and it did not disappoint. We prevailed in hectic circumstances by the razor-thin margin of 2 points. But then, in something of an anti-climax, we crushed them in Round 21 at Etihad by 8 goals. Their season was probably best summed up by Ryan Davidson on the AFL website:

“When you don't make the finals as the reigning premier, it's fair to say your season has been a failure”.

I think they’re going to come out breathing fire. Based on the pre-season, they’ll look to make a quick start, which is something we need to prepare for, as our own starts against the Swans, and even Collingwood, were quite slow. We can’t afford to be caught flat-footed.

I know it’s only Round 1, but seriously, we have to win this game. These guys will be motivated on numerous fronts, and we can’t let them get the better of us.

Giants by 24.

Finally its back.
Great read LotG.

Surely after being caught out the last 2 years in round 1 we will be ready for any fast starters, especially as its the Dogs.

Loved Whitters coming off the back but we are missing something without Scull playing.

Dogs defense seemed uncomfortable and unsettled and if our fwds are firing we will have to much firepower.
We have learned from the past, that plus we are playing the Dogs and at Canberra where we have a great record recently.

Giants to start in grand fashion 30 point win, unless we come out slow then a 6 point loss.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth I think Dawson has done a great job in the ruck role and would be more than happy for him to get first crack at it. He’s also a ripping fella who the players love playing alongside... so that helps too.

Always nervous before a game and this season will be no different, hoping for a solid hit out and I am predicting a close game but I feel a 2-4 goal win and i would be happy not sure on the coaches and other supporters and obviously for the game plan to work
With the Doggies defensive 50 having a bad run with injuries I think one of the talls could get 3/4 goals and be the difference at the end
Midfield battle should be tight as the doggies mids are talented and tough but whether they can put it together for 4 quarters is the doubt I have. I just see them lacking some experience to get the win but it will be tough
My guess at the 22

Shaw Davis Corr
Whitfield Tomlinson Haynes
Kelly Ward Scully
TT JC Greene
MDB Patton Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Shiel
HH Deledio Perryman Lloyd

Simpson could possibly come in for Lobb
TOJ could possibly come in for Corr
Reid, Shipley and Cumming unlikely but should be named as emergencies

Always nervous before a game and this season will be no different, hoping for a solid hit out and I am predicting a close game but I feel a 2-4 goal win and i would be happy not sure on the coaches and other supporters and obviously for the game plan to work
With the Doggies defensive 50 having a bad run with injuries I think one of the talls could get 3/4 goals and be the difference at the end
Midfield battle should be tight as the doggies mids are talented and tough but whether they can put it together for 4 quarters is the doubt I have. I just see them lacking some experience to get the win but it will be tough
My guess at the 22

Shaw Davis Corr
Whitfield Tomlinson Haynes
Kelly Ward Scully
TT JC Greene
MDB Patton Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Shiel
HH Deledio Perryman Lloyd

Simpson could possibly come in for Lobb
TOJ could possibly come in for Corr
Reid, Shipley and Cumming unlikely but should be named as emergencies
Deledio and Scully not playing.

Deledio and Scully not playing.
Ryan Griffen Ankle TBC
Matt Buntine Knee 4 weeks
Adam Kennedy Knee 4-6 weeks
Brent Daniels Knee 4-6 weeks
Zac Williams Achillies TBC
Will Setterfield Knee Season
Clubs injury report doesn't list Scully, Hopper or Deledio which is surprising as all seemed to have been almost certainly ruled out and I always thought Deledio would be ready around rd5 but maybe other injuries have changed how the club is approaching his playing time
I would think that Scully is able to play depending on the actual injury he has, I think a knee was mentioned somewhere and Hopper although important is only third year so I am ok with a conservative approach to him this season

Hey team. Back we go :)

I don't know what to think of this season. We have the players it really is mindset now.

Maybe after the 2016 loss they just thought it would happen.

Im hoping now they know it's not that easy and the fire in the belly will be there

Going to miss mummy, but more important Jezza has a better season imo

Should win this one but we will definately see where there intent lies

By the way Lachie off half back is genius

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does everyone make of Lids.

Such an influencial player but did nothing in JLT

You have to fill your list and pay acertain amount of the cap. Similar to the Mzungo situation and we needed points for the draft and also a bit more than 18 yo's at the base of our list.
Every club has 2/3 lids griff mzungo types.
Big deal move on if we get some games out of them well yippee.

What does everyone make of Lids.

Such an influencial player but did nothing in JLT

Not worried about him. Pretty quiet in the JLT but that was his first hit out of the preseason. I just hope the coaches get it right and play him behind the ball to get his confidence up cause he will be very influential when he is up and going

You have to fill your list and pay acertain amount of the cap. Similar to the Mzungo situation and we needed points for the draft and also a bit more than 18 yo's at the base of our list.
Every club has 2/3 lids griff mzungo types.
Big deal move on if we get some games out of them well yippee.
We seriously overpaid for what we have gotten back so far.
I hear you about the situation he is in being standard fare for clubs in general, but the more they cost and the less you get the more the supporters are entitled to ask why we ignored all the health red flags on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worried about him. Pretty quiet in the JLT but that was his first hit out of the preseason. I just hope the coaches get it right and play him behind the ball to get his confidence up cause he will be very influential when he is up and going
I agree he would be better setting up play behind the ball than finding it in the forward half. I think he can influence games more and is less likely to go missing for large periods

Poor ticket sales for this one. $52 for a pocket ticket seems a bit rich.
Eh?

668af93279d801c75b434ef08f9b5437.jpg
431e54368db526ffab7e079a0b808bfe.jpg
f64f53569d8287f661a4a9e0337d6c07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, prices are rich. Sales are steady, so I think it will be a good crowd. The prices will eventually drive even more supporters to become members I guess. I couldn't justify $50-80 a game for a seat at that ground.

$89 for 3 game GA membership yet $25 Hill /$32 Goal for GA at the ground. That’s pathetic marketing. I want to go as I’m starved of Footy in the ACT but paying $32 for the worst seat at what is a s**t venue and not my club doesn’t entice me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back