Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Admittedly it is probably a bit early for this thread given we have not had the draft but the Swans are in an unique position to most other clubs as we already know who our first round draft pick is going to be (or a fair idea) so I thought for fun we could start working on the Round 1 best 22 in 2016.

Sydney Swans
B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Michael Talia
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Gary Rohan, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Issac Heeney
I/C: Callum Mills, Jeremy Laidler, Dean Towers, Ben McGlynn
Emg: Xavier Richards, Jake Lloyd, Brandan Jack, Zak Jones

I have probably forgotten someone important there and also to be honest I am not sure about Richards, Grundy and Talia all in the same team at the same time but we need to get games into Talia and I just can't see Longmire dropping either Richards or Grundy.

Looking at the list I think depth is going to be a serious issue this year as well as outside of those 25 players there is not much in the way of proven talent. Even some in that 25 have question marks on them.

Last edited:
B: T Richards - Grundy - Laidler
HB: Rampe - Talia - Smith
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - McVeigh
HF: K Jack - Reid - Cunnigham
F: McGlynn - Franklin - Heeney
Fol: Tippett - Mitchell - Parker
INT: Lloyd - Jones - Rohan - Sinclair

Emg: Mills - Aliir - Towers

Still believe Tippett should be #1 ruck. McVeigh is technically 7th defender. Mills is emergency just because I believe he will play a game or two of NEAFL before he debuts.

Can't see players staying in these positions. But...

B: T Richards - Grundy - Laidler
HB: Rampe - Talia - Smith
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - McVeigh
HF: K Jack - Reid - Cunnigham
F: Tippo - Franklin - Heeney
Fol: Sinkers - Mitchell - Parker

INT: Lloyd - Jones - Rohan - McGlynn

Can see Rohan actually starting HB though.

Emg: Mills - Towers - Robinson - Naismith - Rose

Edit: forgot Rose. He could be right on the cusp too.

Can see Mills tipping out anyone on that INT list if he has a fast start at his new club as well.

McGlynn will have a number of games to show his wares. But could be the next ROK sadly. I fully expect him to be first 22 though and hope that isn't the case.

Last edited:
F: James Rose, Kurt Tippett, Gary Rohan
Hf: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Lance Franklin
C: Dan Hannebery, Luke Parker, Kieren Jack
Hb: Dane Rampe, Michael Talia, Jarrod McVeigh
B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Ted Richards
Foll: Callum Sinclair, Josh Kennedy, Tom Mitchell
Inter: Ben Mcglynn, Callum Mills, Dean Towers, Jeremy Laidler
Emer: Harry Cunningham, Jake Lloyd, Brandon Jack

If he gets a full presason in though you never know.

I will say though when creating the list of players I noticed how piss poor our depth is. After our best 24 players the quality drops away a lot.
We need to get 3 more mature bodies IMO, at least on rookie list, types like Mason Shaw/Sam Grimly, Marlon Pickett/Shane Yarren and Chris Jansen/Jacob Ballard. Need to have a deeper squad to push further into September.

Edit: forgot Rose. He could be right on the cusp too.

McGlynn will have a number of games to show his wares. But could be the next ROK sadly. I fully expect him to be first 22 though and hope that isn't the case.

agree. can see McGlynn being forced out very quickly. alot of others havent even included Rose in there emergencies but i think he will be the most likely to come in for Benny should he find himself out of favour.

McGlynn not as bad as people think.

Bit of recency bias because of his two stinker finals.
The entirety of last season was a wash for him because of injuries.

Was 7th in the B&F only a year before. Still got a lot to offer this season in my opinion.

Was 7th in the B&F only a year before. Still got a lot to offer this season in my opinion.

You're right. But he's clearly under thr pump.

It happens quickly nowadays. At the end of 2013 ROK was the Norm Smith medallist 'just the year before'. Then in 2014 he was gone.

Same thing happened to Bird this year (although injuries disguised this slightly).

It's not over for him yet. He just needs to go ballistic in the first half of the year. If he's not having an impact by the bye - or even sooner - he could be in strife.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you do this exercise the lack of depth is alarming. Notwithstanding that we have a number of promising youngsters like Rose, Naismith, Hewett etc, I'm sure the club is eyeing someone like DFA Adcock who is a clear best 22 player.

That may be why we worked hard to move Bird on, as a depth replacement will be significantly cheaper you would think.

If Talia is up to the standard, and given the new interchange rules, I reckon we'll play Ted, Reg and Talia allowing Rampe to finally match up against similar sized players or maybe into the midfield rotation.

I really hope players like Hewett, Rose, Robinson, Aliir and Hiscox who have appeared as ems or tentatively debuted can take a big step and push for a spot to keep the senior group honest. Would take a lot off my mind.

He had more incentive than anyone else in 14 and was pathetic

He had more incentive than anyone else in 14 and was pathetic
Unlike you to be so kind bedford, pathetic is very gentle for that alleged effort

B: Smooch, Teddy, Talia
HB: Macca, Reg, Ramps
C: Kizza, Joey, Hanners
HF: Harry, Buddy, Gaz
F: Reidy, The Chief, Heeney
R: Tippo, Parks, Mitchell
I/C: Laids, Mighty Mouse, Mills, Towers

Lloyd and McGlynn the notable absentees.

B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Michael Talia
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
HF: Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Isaac Heeney
F: Harry Cunningham, Kurt Tippett, Sam Reid
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell
I/C: Callum Mills (hopefully) , Jeremy Laidler, Zak Jones, James Rose

Doesn't look the same without Goodes :(
Arguably with Richards, Grundy and Talia in the side there is less room for Laidler. He had an excellent year so he's in my 22, but it wouldn't surprise me if across the year he was battling with Talia for who gets a spot on form. With Smith, Richards, Grundy, Talia and Laidler all in the side we look a bit short of a gallop coming out of the back half. Possible to squeeze McGlynn in ahead of Talia/Laidler.

whats the chances of Nic Newman game games early? Looks a good type to replace Rhys Shaw
Im hoping so but it probably wont happen early. May take an injury to find his way in but wouldnt be surprised if he was best 22 by the end of the season.

I really hope players like Hewett, Rose, Robinson, Aliir and Hiscox who have appeared as ems or tentatively debuted can take a big step and push for a spot to keep the senior group honest. Would take a lot off my mind.
The scenario that has me worried is Geelong. During their golden era their reserves team had a heap of guys who at that level were seen as ready replacements for all the champs when they retired. They were clearly too good for reserves level, Geelong seemed to have stockpiled them.

But once the champs started to go and they budding stars played seniors they were found to be just role players or not up to senior level. I'm hoping that the handful of our ressie players who appear to be senior quality are indeed that.

Our depth is very thin, thinner than last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back