Opinion Round 1 2016 - Best 22

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Oh ok missed that one ok so to sum it up round 1 we might be missing the follow experience from 2015.

Jetta, McGlynn, Richards, Reid, Rohan, Goodes, Pyke, Shaw, McVeigh, Bird.

Jesus...

My memory must be worse than I thought as I don't recall Jesus lining up for the Swans in round 1, 2015.

Oh ok missed that one ok so to sum it up round 1 we might be missing the follow experience from 2015.

Jetta, McGlynn, Richards, Reid, Rohan, Goodes, Pyke, Shaw, McVeigh, Bird.

Jesus...

Richards should play

Shaws second half of the year was good so will be missed, but jones looked good
Mcveigh a big loss

But the rest no biggie, should be able to cover those few if any good, goodes and pyke were cooked, bird average etc

ShaySwannies

All Australian
Apr 25, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Houston Rockets, Tottenham, Vikings
This is what I hope the Round 1 side will be (assuming McVeigh, McGlynn, Reid, Rohan all out) - though I'm sure it will be more conservative than this:

FB: N. Smith T. Richards J. Laidler
HB: D. Rampe H. Grundy Z. Jones
C: C. Mills J. Kennedy D. Hannebery
HF: L. Parker L. Franklin D. Towers
FF: G. Hewett K. Tippett I. Heeney
R: C. Sinclair K. Jack T. Mitchell
INT: T. Papley J. Dawson N. Newman
J. Lloyd

EME: H. Cunningham J. Hiscox M. Talia

Wanted to leave both Cunningham & Lloyd out as I don't think they really help us - unfortunately there isn't enough depth pushing for spots.

Jones is the clear-cut Rhyce Shaw replacement. Mills starts on a wing but rotates through the backline. Hewett definitely gets a go due to him possessing what we lack; skill, clean hands and good decision-making. Papley & Dawson are IN due to cracking pre-seasons. Newman was iffy against Carlton but is worth giving a go IMO.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I understand why Dawson is so loved already - he shows class, precision and accuracy by foot, all of which many of our players can only dream of.

But throwing a soon-to-be-19-year-old who hasn't amassed more than 6 touches in a game of senior football yet to the wolves I think would be rather foolish. Let him work his way in from the reserves like Hannebery and Alex Johnson did so early in their careers. I mean at least demand that he finds the ball more than once or twice a quarter. As on the nose as the likes of Brandon Jack and Harry Cunningham might be atm, they are without question more valuable to the seniors side right now.

As for the rest I'd love to see George Hewett and Nic Newman in particular get shots against the Pies. I really like Tom Papley as well from what I've seen so far but for now, I'd let him decapitate some hack NEAFL players and force his way in. Hewett and Newman have both had at least a season of strong play behind them now. I think Hewett has a great chance of debuting in round 1 given he spent a considerable amount of time across HF and even deeper while Brandon Jack and Dan Robinson couldn't even get spots in the match day 26. Quite effective time, I might add too. Calm disposal, an extra burst of speed which I didn't know he had and the tackling which we all knew he has.

If Zak Jones is fit I suspect Newman won't make it in round 1 though.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah Nic Newman got a kick.
But his off the ball work and positioning are nowhere near it.

Looking forward to everyone demanding him as an elevation/ IN every week in the changes thread this year.

Mar 1, 2002
Ertvania
AFL Club
Sydney
Hannebery, Heeney, Mitchell, Tippett, Laidler, Kennedy, K Jack, Sinclair, Towers, Franklin, Rampe, Parker, Grundy, Smith are locked in for Round 1.
That's 14 certainties.
If Reid is passed fit he's in, Richards probably, McGlynn not necessarily and McVeigh and Rohan are confirmed outs.
There's 8 spots to fill. I think Reid and Richards will come up, so that's 6.
Cunningham, Jones, Nankervis, Mills, Hiscox, Robinson, Newman, Hewitt, Talia, B Jack, Dawson, Papley, X Richards, Lloyd seem to be the players in the mix.
Cunningham and Lloyd have runs on the board, so I think they are most likely, even though both can be hit and miss.
Mills is almost a certainty.
I think Talia will get a run as Richards is still 50/50 and it's likely to be his last year so we will need to start developing a replacement.
Jones I think will get picked, he can fill a need at half back.
The last spot comes down to Hewitt vs Papley, and I think Hewitt is ahead. I would like to include Papley, as I like the look of him, but I just couldn't see who misses out. If Reid doesn't come up I think Nankervis may get a run. If Richards misses then Talia is a certainty, maybe Papley comes in that way.
Newman and Dawson have shown bits of something, but I don't think it's their time just yet.
Like many others here I'm not sold on B Jack, every now and then he'll pull something decent out, but those moments are a bit few and far between.
Hiscox and Robinson I've yet to see anything to convince me.
X Richards only if two of Ted/Grundy/Talia were to miss, not sold on him yet either.
Can't see anyone outside that list being considered for Round 1

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
B: Smith - Richards - Talia
HB: Rampe - Grundy - Dawson
C: Cunningham - Kennedy - Hannebery
HF: Parker - Franklin - Towers
F: Reid - Sinclair - Heeney
R: Tippett, Jack, Mitchell
I/C: Laidler, B.Jack, Mills, Jones
Emerg: Papley, Hewett, Lloyd

B: Smith - Richards - Talia
HB: Rampe - Grundy - Dawson
C: Cunningham - Kennedy - Hannebery
HF: Parker - Franklin - Towers
F: Reid - Sinclair - Heeney
R: Tippett, Jack, Mitchell
I/C: Laidler, B.Jack, Mills, Jones
Emerg: Papley, Hewett, Lloyd

Can't see Hewett and Lloyd (who both played well) being dropped from the NAB Challenge game against the Blues for two guys that played a NEAFL practice match on Saturday.

Some buzz on Twitter (I know I know) that Kennedy has a strained calf from Friday.

Would have upwards of 3 weeks to get over it by our first game though from last weekend to then. That is probably enough time regardless. However I'd rather we have our fully fit side training right now.

Injuries can make our break any side, especially at the start of the season where you need to bank wins to get in that top 4.

Lakeside Swan

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2015
Getting f'd over big time by the AFL.
AFL Club
Sydney
This is what I hope the Round 1 side will be (assuming McVeigh, McGlynn, Reid, Rohan all out) - though I'm sure it will be more conservative than this:

FB: N. Smith T. Richards J. Laidler
HB: D. Rampe H. Grundy Z. Jones
C: C. Mills J. Kennedy D. Hannebery
HF: L. Parker L. Franklin D. Towers
FF: G. Hewett K. Tippett I. Heeney
R: C. Sinclair K. Jack T. Mitchell
INT: T. Papley J. Dawson N. Newman
J. Lloyd

EME: H. Cunningham J. Hiscox M. Talia

Wanted to leave both Cunningham & Lloyd out as I don't think they really help us - unfortunately there isn't enough depth pushing for spots.

Jones is the clear-cut Rhyce Shaw replacement. Mills starts on a wing but rotates through the backline. Hewett definitely gets a go due to him possessing what we lack; skill, clean hands and good decision-making. Papley & Dawson are IN due to cracking pre-seasons. Newman was iffy against Carlton but is worth giving a go IMO.
Love all of that but as you said the coaching panel will be more conservative and make the safe decisions. I expect Dawson, Newman and Papley to play in the NEAFL. Playing Dawson and Papley too young could affect their development. I think (hope) that Hewitt will play as he has already served his apprenticeship and played very well in the pre-season. I think that Newman is also deserving, especially as he is older, but he's still (at the moment) listed as a rookie.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the 1st half of Friday Night is the closest we will get to a look at how we'll line up in Round 1. I suspect if Richards plays in the Reserves on the weekend then he'll play Round 1. Other than that its a case of working out who the 3 or 4 players are from the 24 from NAB 3 who'll miss out for Round 1 are. I think Hewitt has done enough to stake a claim for the team and I wouldn't be surprised to see Papley promoted over Newman.

B: Rampe Grundy Laidler
HB: Jones Richards K.Jack
C: Hannebury Kennedy Cunningham
HF: Towers Franklin Heeney
F: Rose Sinclair Papley
R: Tippett Parker Mitchell
Int: Smith (7th Defender) Mills Hewitt Lloyd
Emg: Talia Nankervis Robertson

Back