Autopsy Round 1, 2017: Ess v Haw, **Ess supporters read the OP** Ban Hammer will be wielded with impunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough loss but it congratulations to the bombers. Great to see them all back together again. The Bomber fans, who've been a through a lot through no fault of their own (other than poor life choices to support the scum in the first place), deserved a little cheer. But what a great comeback for them. Kind of like Bill Cosby getting back into the dating scene. :cool:

Hardly any Hawks supporters at the game. It was as if we were playing in Perth. Not sure why....

Happy with Tom and Langford got a few good centre clearances and 27 mostly adequate possessions. Also thought Henderson was equivalent to Brad Hill's normal game and Billy did some good things. Jaeger will get better and as a first game in front of any crowd above 15,000 I thought he did pretty well. A bit hurried when he got the ball but that will change with experience. If we had kicked straighter, we could well have won.

Hoping Liam Shiels, or even Breust and 1 or 2 others can get up to 30 possession players because that was the point of moving Sammy and Lewis on, to give others more opportunities in midfield. Maybe Lovell or Burton or why not Poppy into the centre? It seems to me that most teams and the best teams have 4-6 players who regularly get 30 plus or close to that. We only really have Tom and possibly Hodge now who have chalked up those types of figures (maybe some defenders have in the past too). But without that depth in midfield, we do not have the depth to challenge the top 6 sides.

Still not a bad effort. Bear in mind we had 31 shots at goal, which usually wins you the game or at least more than 12 goals. I was really happy for Roughead, but I think that overall we looked a bit slow. Not sure why Gunston is seen running around backline so often either? He is a gun forward and a tough match up.

Tough loss but it congratulations to the bombers. Great to see them all back together again. The Bomber fans, who've been a through a lot through no fault of their own (other than poor life choices to support the scum in the first place), deserved a little cheer. But what a great comeback for them. Kind of like Bill Cosby getting back into the dating scene. :cool:

You feel happiness for a strange set of people. Do you also cheer murderers when they get paroled and released from jail?

Do we want to win the premiership this year?
did you really think we would! time to look to the future and another three peat starting in three years. otherwise we would have six retire in one year replacing them with 18 year old kids who may or may not make the grade. Tom mitchel had 37 possies today and O'meara wont be far behind by years end i believe.

So happy to see Roughy out there (just great for footy) and glad all players (and others) took time to seek him out during or after the game. Reminded me of Rama's first game back.

T. Mitchell = immense. Complete star. Chases, tackles, runs, hard ball, tough nut!

Hawks couldn't kick that worse for goal next week. Teams still won't want to play them in the pointy end of the year.

How long is this fanciful diversification of players going to go on? Gunno is like a headless chook when he's not running at the footy as a forward, he needs to forward of the centre. Sometimes the want of bringing something completely new to the table can be counter productive, this is the case with Gunno.

I saw cyril drop a relatively easy (by his standards) mark, burgoyne blindly hack a ball out to a sea of bombers under only slight pressure and shiels kick a 40 metre goal on the run after giving some bloke a dustin martin don't argue.
T'was a strange night
Haven't seen Shiels kick a better goal than that.

So happy to see Roughy out there (just great for footy) and glad all players (and others) took time to seek him out during or after the game. Reminded me of Rama's first game back.

T. Mitchell = immense. Complete star. Chases, tackles, runs, hard ball, tough nut!

Hawks couldn't kick that worse for goal next week. Teams still won't want to play them in the pointy end of the year.
Classy post, congrats well deserved.

We lack passion, pace and strength in the air.
We might still finish 4 - 8 but the next flag won't come until the team gets an injection of the above from new, young players. Hodge, Gibbo, Burger, Rough and Pop will be gone by then. We should have insisted Gibbo retired and kept Sam or Jordan.
Too many mediocre role players who will be found out in a weaker team. Duryea the worst of them. Along with Hartung there is no one better in the AFL at telegraphing their next move and getting caught holding the ball or hand balling to someone about to be tacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never seen so much noise and elation derived out of a win in round 1. What a crazy atmosphere that was.
**** me, those bombers supporters are something else.

It's quite sad when you think about it. Imagine if winning tonight, or any H&A game for that matter, meant that much to us.

Watching us win all those premierships while they suffered so immensely must've been rather hard on them.

It's meant the world for them. The march to the G, the red t-shirt, the Kevin Sheedy message about "war".

Ironically for some of their supporters, they either too drunk or even get ejected from the venue to enjoy the win.

Not game to name names, we know who played poorly and who played well. What annoyed me is the way nothing seems to have changed from last year. So often we seem to have less guys at the contest AND less guys on the spread. So where are our guys? How often tonight did Essendon have blokes well out in space?? It's exactly like the way we were last year.

I'd take it if we had tried to do something different and lost that way, but it was pretty much rinse and repeat of our last 5 games last year.

Only positives, O'meara will be better for the run, Mitchell's first half was very very good, Roughie is back and looks fit and firing, and Cyril can't play worse than that.
Only just reading through so may have missed a reply, but Cyril had a bad cork in the first quarter and could barely get out of a jog.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How long is this fanciful diversification of players going to go on? Gunno is like a headless chook when he's not running at the footy as a forward, he needs to forward of the centre. Sometimes the want of bringing something completely new to the table can be counter productive, this is the case with Gunno.

Agreed - the only one that has looked like working is Burton. Burton and Brand need to play back next week, Schoey dropped and Sicily to take his place up forward. Whitecross or Stewart have to come in for Duyrea. Hartung can make way for Brand and Hendo can cover the wing. Schoey can make way for Burton.

I thought TV did okay as a tap ruckman. Mitchell and Langers were good at clearances too.

I noticed early in the first - when Ess got three in quick succession - that one of Breust, Poppy or Cyril took turns starting at CHB for the bounce. I have no idea what they were trying to do, but it didn't last long.

Agreed - the only one that has looked like working is Burton. Burton and Brand need to play back next week, Schoey dropped and Sicily to take his place up forward. Whitecross or Stewart have to come in for Duyrea. Hartung can make way for Brand and Hendo can cover the wing. Schoey can make way for Burton.

Sic I love, but it's hard finding a role for him.

Frawley frustrated me beyond belief tonight, he was torn to shreds often.

I saw cyril drop a relatively easy (by his standards) mark, burgoyne blindly hack a ball out to a sea of bombers under only slight pressure and shiels kick a 40 metre goal on the run after giving some bloke a dustin martin don't argue.
T'was a strange night
The umpire not be able to establish who kicked it OotF was amusing to say the least. Certainly added to the strangeness of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back