Unofficial Preview Round 1 2017 - Fremantle vs Geelong 5:40PM Sunday 26th March, Subiaco Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope youre right but word is hes up for first round. Dangerous just standing still and tapping to fyfe, neale and mundy.

He'll be up against Smith who is of similar height and can actually jump.

You have identified why Sandi needs to be respected though...Mundy, Fyfe and Neale....but Sandilands isn't the player he once was. I presume its his last season but I think they'll be happy to get 10-15 games out of him, tops.

The most annoying thing to me about Geelong since 2012, and my most-hoped for tactical change in 2017, is our habit of having one strong quarter and one weak quarter seemingly every year. Last year it was obviously a choice to rest Danger and Sel a bit in the 3rd to have a big 4th, so I don't even know whether it's bad coaching or if the overall result tends to be a net gain, but just aesthetically/emotionally it's bloody frustrating. You'd think, and it seems to be borne out by our record, that the inconsistent quarter will give them a chance to pile on goals that (against good teams) might not be able to be recouped, but I've never checked the stats for finals/against top 8 teams.

Very irritating though.
Quarters won and lost in finals since 2012:
W12
L18
D2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone just knock Sandi onto his back, he'll rock back and forth but be stuck there like a turtle until someone can fetch the unnecessarily long lever.

I think a game like that you rest Smith. Play Stanley and Blicz so they can pinch hit in a more meaningful way while providing the token ruck opposition.

I think a game like that you rest Smith. Play Stanley and Blicz so they can pinch hit in a more meaningful way while providing the token ruck opposition.
This sounds like a backfiring strategy from 2012. :(

Sounds like the strategy from the 2013 QF which is championed so vociferously on this board.

Replace "championed" with "crucified" and you've nailed it.

Put our best up. It won't decide the match anyway.
Just seems to me that fighting fire with fire will lead to no advantage for us, so it could benefit from a different approach... but I guess I should remember that something which failed once in sport can never be forgiven.

Just seems to me that fighting fire with fire will lead to no advantage for us, so it could benefit from a different approach... but I guess I should remember that something which failed once in sport can never be forgiven.

I don't mind this idea myself to be honest.
It's not like the season is on the line so perhaps a pretty big gamble may indeed work out to our advantage over the course of the match (having that extra small on the ground).

The only concern is what happens if he does indeed start to get on top early on in the game? It's not like Blicavs is going save the day.
We could be faced with a situation where Sandilands' confidence is sky high and that's often when Fremantle's midfield is absolutely dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back