Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Couple of times I saw Close hesitate going for the mark because there was body contact, thats a concern...

I saw it also. Several times going for a pack mark his arms were up but his face was down and eyes closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Close's skills were atrocious tonight. Will be a straight swap for Schache next week you feel
Not sure if Schace will play next week. Saw him at game and he still looked a bit proppy. Close is used as ruck backup and also contributed to a few goals to other players. Crashes the pack as well so not out of the side quite yet.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Afl app finally has it.
i've often wondered with the meters gained stat- if you bomb it out of defense 50-60 meters straight to an unmarked opposition player is that still counted in the stat or does it have to be an effective disposal or to a contest at least?

Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hmm, not showing up on my app yet :( I was interested in seeing what Rockliff managed after Rory Laird managed 600m from his 42 touches.

Present on my iPhone and iPad. You just need to swipe left on the player stats and it appears.

I've just realised I got Cutler's meters gained wrong- 738, just one meter more than Rockliff. Next best is Ablett with 607.

My main concern from last night is that Gold Coast made us look seriously slow at times, especially through the midfield. Will be interesting to see how we compare to the Bombers because they're not full of lightning fast runners either.
We're actually pretty quick. Have McGrath, Walla, Fantasia, Colyer and Green as small quick players and players like Gleeson and Merrett aren't exactly
Don't mind Frost,but depending on the Bombers side chosen,does he need to come back in? Andrews to go to Daniher, Gardiner/Mcstay to Hooker and their 3rd tall.
Our 3rd tall is usually a forward/mid like Langford. Otherwise we play small with Green and Walla playing deep.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cutler 738
Rockliff 737
Zorko 587
Oh but I thought Rockliff isn't damaging because he doesn't get any metres gained unlike stars of the game such as Dangerfield and Dusty:p

Seriously though credit to those guys and that highlights even further how good Cutler was off the half back flank last night.

Oh yeah I came in here to say you're welcome to discuss the game in our preview thread or if you're so inclined go to our banter thread and have some sparring matches there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh but I thought Rockliff isn't damaging because he doesn't get any metres gained unlike stars of the game such as Dangerfield and Dusty:p

Seriously though credit to those guys and that highlights even further how good Cutler was off the half back flank last night.

Rocky had a few 50m kicks which were turnovers and then went back over his head.

Oh yeah I came in here to say you're welcome to discuss the game in our preview thread or if you're so inclined go to our banter thread and have some sparring matches there.

That drugs sounds great drugs! Expect drugs to see many of drugs us there.

That drugs sounds great drugs! Expect drugs to see many of drugs us there.
Yeah, if you're going to post like this I'd advise not going over there. If in the banter thread it really kills it. If not, well I hope you like holidays :)

Schache_off

Rookie
Mar 11, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Close's second efforts are what will keep him in the team. He might not be flying for marks the way we want or getting separation from his opponent but the second the ball is on the ground he is after it as quick as anyone and we got a few goals from the pressure that he created.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Just watched again and that was a real effort to stem the flow in the last. It was still 15 points at the 14 minute mark, it looked like they would pile on 6-7 goals very quickly to dead the contest early in the 4th, that alone is a real feat. Without the emotion, I looked at it.. and.. we slaughtered the first, won the second (4 goals to 1) - they owned the third (albeit with us still squeezing a few againts the flow goal in there. And the 4th was just a fight to the death. Yes they won the inside 50's but we just repelled lots of them beautifully. The more I look at it, the more I just think it was a good win. Its not uncommon to see big leads evaporate in modern footy. I always walk away from a game with a team 30+ points up, go water the garden, come back in and the scores a level, I am not focusing on the lead loss or their winning the stat lines, I am re-watching that last 1/4 and marveling the effort to hold on.
Lions in the sand. I absolutely ban you from going to water the garden when we are 30+ in front. Do you bit for the team!!!!!!

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
For three quarters I thought Rocky got lost a few times on Ablett, who was pretty damaging going the other way. But to his credit Rocky really turned it on in the fourth and got us over the line - clutch.

Like some have said I wouldn't be overly critical of Close, who had one of the best defenders in the game on him (May).

Also, some criminal underrating of Sam Mayes in the votes.

Back