TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
You cant blame the bloke of footy isnt the first thing on his mind right not....in saying that, he shouldnt be in the team ( like any player) if thats the case.. its not fair on the teama and its not fair for him and his family

Maybe dropping him would only make things worse, so they're giving a guy who has earned his spot a chance to see how he does when the actual season starts?

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I’m sure the fact that one of his children is going to die immediately following their birth wouldn’t be playing on his mind 24/7. Give the guy a break!
In a regular job when someone has gone through something like that they normally take bereavement leave. Get his head clear before forcing him to come back to work. Call me an ass but if he's on the field I'm going to measure him by the same stick as any other player. If he's not in the right mind, give him the time off until he is

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
In a regular job when someone has gone through something like that they normally take bereavement leave. Get his head clear before forcing him to come back to work. Call me an ass but if he's on the field I'm going to measure him by the same stick as any other player. If he's not in the right mind, give him the time off until he is

I hardly think anyone is ‘forced’ to go back to work! Pre season games mean jack s**t (so your measure is worthless, as would mine be) and his season will be judged from week 1 of the AFL season. Those determining where and when he will play are his employer, himself and the arrangement they will ultimately come to.

I don't want him in the team quite yet as he needs to spend time in the NEAFL to learn how to find the ball more but I would love to see him in the team at some point in 2018 though as he looks like a real talent.

Your point absolutely makes sense. I can remember hesitation around Hayward this time last year as well. Sometimes the best development will be in the Seniors, a bit like a kid who is too smart for his or her own year level at school and they accelerate them. Stoddart has shown something early. His tank might let him down during moments in games but those skills will develop much better amongst elite players, not NEAFL hackers. It will be interesting to see if we do go with him. Whilst a bit more meat on his bones would not hurt, if he can continue to build on what he has delivered at the moment, who knows what we have on our hands. We can be a bit conservative sometimes, he is a risk worth taking in my view.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I hardly think anyone is ‘forced’ to go back to work! Pre season games mean jack s**t (so your measure is worthless, as would mine be) and his season will be judged from week 1 of the AFL season. Those determining where and when he will play are his employer, himself and the arrangement they will ultimately come to.
I wasn't saying he was forced to play. I was saying if he's on the field I'm assuming he's fit to play so I won't judge him any differently.

You're right preseason form doesn't mean squat but when a player has a good preseason they get in. I don't see why we shouldn't judge them if they play poorly too

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I wasn't saying he was forced to play. I was saying if he's on the field I'm assuming he's fit to play so I won't judge him any differently.

You're right preseason form doesn't mean squat but when a player has a good preseason they get in. I don't see why we shouldn't judge them if they play poorly too

Do they get in for form in pre season matches or do they get in because of the misfortune of injuries? I would say injury dictates their selection and it was proven last year with quite a few.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Do they get in for form in pre season matches or do they get in because of the misfortune of injuries? I would say injury dictates their selection and it was proven last year with quite a few.
You're not wrong there. Horse seems to have his mind made before the season starts and just adapts as the season goes

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll be stoked to see Stoddart play in round 1 (and so will my Supercoach team). Between he and Fox - who I assume has done enough, suddenly we'll have some speed.
I can't recall a more interesting selection table than the week coming up: Stoddart, Fox, Florent, Newman, Cunningham, Aliir (if he's fit)...

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Papley got in on form from the training track and preseason. Looks like Stoddart might well too. But I guess most get in as you suggest.

There was a piece a few days ago from WC coach saying they'd have a few debutantes too including Venables, Waterman (?), Ryan.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-03-16/new-eagles-on-simpsons-radar

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley got in on form from the training track and preseason. Looks like Stoddart might well too. But I guess most get in as you suggest.

There was a piece a few days ago from WC coach saying they'd have a few debutantes too including Venables, Waterman (?), Ryan.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-03-16/new-eagles-on-simpsons-radar

Papley did, but again, injuries assisted I believe. Such a great bargain pickup too!

With regard to WCE, they can do what they want but Longmire only knows one way apparently.

I’d like to see more of Stoddart, McCarten and co but only if warranted. I’d like to see Fox and Florent as they’ve been impressive but as we all know...it’s a long season!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would have to be the most stupid time slot. Should have been the Friday night. Atleast we will know exactly what we need to do to sit on top after one round.

Problem is that 7:40pm our time is 5:40 over there (or is it 4:40pm?). That is way too early on a Friday, and I'm sure WC would have approached the AFL to not put this game on a Friday.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I definitely think Foxy & Ollie are starters. Riley is being talked up by Captain Courageous and Aliir & Sinclair might just be off the pace for a round 1 start.

Ramps, Reg will come back in. Marsh has been really good in the preseason and his reading the play has been a feature.

I think there is a conundrum up forward. The ones that impressed with their ability to score were Papley & Rose. Will & Gary were a bit off the pace. With Gary it is understandable with what he's going through. Will has had a some surgery so that might still be effecting his fitness. But no matter their problems when it comes to selection for a game all things need to be taken into account and form is one.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Really hope aliir comes in....we need a big year from him this year...we need to take as many experienced players as possible...without kennedy for them we should win this and there is a chance we can the % off to a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back