Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilburman

Rookie
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Hope it is just a tight calf and not a hammy for Lloyd. Can't afford him missing. Wait and see for training I guess.

Bingo get more involved. He’s played 100 odd games the excuses have been enough. It’s time he performed and consistently. It’s not good enough to get the balle 6-10 times a game.
I don't get this point of view at all. Gary's played 95 games for the Swans, and the very fact that he has played that many games means he must be doing what is asked of him.

The Swans have had zero tolerance for people who don't play the role they're asked to no matter how good they are.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't get this point of view at all. Gary's played 95 games for the Swans, and the very fact that he has played that many games means he must be doing what is asked of him.

The Swans have had zero tolerance for people who don't play the role they're asked to no matter how good they are.
If that's the case then we have a terrible role set in place for Rohan!

Agree to disagree I’m just not sold on him being in our best 22. Happy to be proven wrong and I seriously hope he has an amazing season. I get the “playing a role” thing but surely we should be striving for more.

He’s not in my best 22, rather play all of Fox, Hayward and Florent personally.

Agree to disagree I’m just not sold on him being in our best 22. Happy to be proven wrong and I seriously hope he has an amazing season. I get the “playing a role” thing but surely we should be striving for more.

We saw that side for 6 weeks last year with a bunch of unproven kids

Fair enough, I think he'd be best 22 in any team in the comp, so we are unlikely to agree ever lol!

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think if we do go with one ruck and Sinkers isn't in the fwd line Rohan will get a few more markangoals. Good lead. Pretty good kick. He is bloody annoying at times with his lack of impact with the ball, but he's also pretty bloody good at others.

Also with no Ruck up forward; Will Buddy kick 100 this year? :) That'd be something. I reckon he starts off with at least 7 in Perth.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think if we do go with one ruck and Sinkers isn't in the fwd line Rohan will get a few more markangoals. Good lead. Pretty good kick. He is bloody annoying at times with his lack of impact with the ball, but he's also pretty bloody good at others.

Also with no Ruck up forward; Will Buddy kick 100 this year? :) That'd be something. I reckon he starts off with at least 7 in Perth.
I think buddy will be hunting goals this year...he needs 1 more coleman to become the outright leader in medal count...( if i remember correctly)

Well yes that and he drops absolute sitters. Goes missing waaaaaaaaaay too often.
I think that he only goes missing from the tv camera angles shown on the reply which concentrates on the on ballers. I'd really like to know what his stats are like in comparison to his direct opposition. I'm not sure how to look them up, but if anyone cares to let me know then I'll find them if I can.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I think that he only goes missing from the tv camera angles shown on the reply which concentrates on the on ballers. I'd really like to know what his stats are like in comparison to his direct opposition. I'm not sure how to look them up, but if anyone cares to let me know then I'll find them if I can.
Give the guy a break. So he nicks out for a pie during the game. Why wouldn't you ? The pies are free for players (or should be) and playing is hungry work.

Seriously he does a lot of good things involving chasing players but it's not so often that we see him being chased. I'd like him to be first to the ball more often. He seems to play very defensively. Give the team instructions to give it to gazza and let him go for a run. Stoddart does it. Rohan used to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Cannot question that at all with Rohan imo
After watching him run back the the flight and nearly kill himself on drew petrie and then come out the next season and throw himself into some equally dangerous situations. I think he is as courageous and anyone on the list.

Don't underestimate how valuable having a bloke that big and that fast willing to die on the field is regardless of how many stats he picks up.

Look at the final against geelong two seasons ago, and the massive massive spring to make a contest that no one else in our team could have made. That lifts us, that sets a standard. But it wasn't a possession so people who play supercoach look at the stats after the game and so rohan was useless.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW (which is diddly squat) I fall on the disappointed, off to the NEAFL side of the Rohan debate. I have no issue with a player only getting 10-15 possessions, especially if their role is a forward pocket whose main qualities are creating scores, applying pressure and sometimes both. But if that is your role, which the club's coaching staff and game plan has enforced upon you, then do it every week and do it well. This comparison gets thrown around a lot but he really is like a Cyril Rioli in terms of what we need from him versus what the Hawks require of Rioli. I can't stand Rioli or the fuss about him but he's been consistent enough to be All Australian three times. Because while his role may not be as heavily involved in the play as other positions, he still gets himself involved and makes his role more than it is.

Rohan just does not do that. If he's having a s**t start to a game or it's not going near him it's almost like he accepts that he's destined to be a passenger for the next 2 hours. That's why the starts to his games are so notable because basically every great Rohan performance has come from him being pumped up from the get-go. To me, that's a clear sign of mental weakness. He's too easily psychologically removed from games. If his role is 10-15 touches and a couple of goals a game, that needs to be his standard week in, week out. As it stand, that type of game is more of a standout than it is standard.

Meh - Rohan is as valid as any we have that would replace him from a full list.

He will never do a Rioli and win a game by brilliance and class but he has a crack. Definitely cannot see him turning a tight final for example.

One of those players that just fills a hole in a decent way and does some good stuff every so often.

If he does not get a run won't be the end of us and it will mean that someone is genuinely improving which is a good thing.

Seems a nice guy. You need a nice guy in the team. He is the dude that gets the beers and drives you home.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Well yes that and he drops absolute sitters. Goes missing waaaaaaaaaay too often.

Can I make an observation? When Tippett was recruited prior to Buddy coming here he was dynamic in that first year. Huge impact because he was spearhead. When Buddy came along and his role changed he failed to
impact the game in the same way Rohan fails to impact the game. Now I don't know for certain if there is/isn't a connection but it seems to me that our attack has always been too Buddy centric. Great we give it to one of the greats- sensible BUT at times he's been double teamed and still we go there. The forwards suffer because of this and Gary being a person happy to avoid limelight fails to impact. I suspect there is a connection. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts? Is the best strategy to use Buddy further up the ground more often as entry point to 50 arc? ....use his kicking prowess and same time create space for forwards like Rohan?. Food for thought.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
There is no reason why rohan isnt an elite player. Explosive pace,strong tackler,strong mark,big kick and generally a good goal kicker....he just cannot get into the game.. i say start him in the center and force him into the game....also isolate him at full forward and clear out the 50 throughout the game, name one defender that would feel comfortable playing man on man with rohan and 40m of space in front of him

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
After watching Rohan in the JLT i can't help thinking there is something else going on.
He just looked off.
I know he will be about to face some incredible family pressures, losing a child at Birth and all. You can't help thinking this is contributing to his headspace.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
There is no reason why rohan isnt an elite player. Explosive pace,strong tackler,strong mark,big kick and generally a good goal kicker....he just cannot get into the game.. i say start him in the center and force him into the game....also isolate him at full forward and clear out the 50 throughout the game, name one defender that would feel comfortable playing man on man with rohan and 40m of space in front of him
You make it sound so simple but any player who stays as the stand alone forward in the 50 the opp often drop 2 players onto them. One marks close and the other is a lose defender. We play this with Buddy who is a bigger body, a decent mark, is very quick but like all players struggles when he's 2 on 1.

As you said he's a strong mark, kick, tackle, he should be a fantastic forward flanker. There's so many things of what he can do, but in the end he doesn't do them enough

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Can I make an observation? When Tippett was recruited prior to Buddy coming here he was dynamic in that first year. Huge impact because he was spearhead. When Buddy came along and his role changed he failed to
impact the game in the same way Rohan fails to impact the game. Now I don't know for certain if there is/isn't a connection but it seems to me that our attack has always been too Buddy centric. Great we give it to one of the greats- sensible BUT at times he's been double teamed and still we go there. The forwards suffer because of this and Gary being a person happy to avoid limelight fails to impact. I suspect there is a connection. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts? Is the best strategy to use Buddy further up the ground more often as entry point to 50 arc? ....use his kicking prowess and same time create space for forwards like Rohan?. Food for thought.
I think the answer to this is pretty simple especially now that Tippett is gone. Go back to the midfield - forward rotation setup we had pre-2014. Creates unpredictability and forces us to actually look for targets inside 50 instead of aimlessly blasting away. We saw a glimpse of it in JLT and we were so much more potent. We go back to that I think a lot of our attacking woes will be solved.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You make it sound so simple but any player who stays as the stand alone forward in the 50 the opp often drop 2 players onto them. One marks close and the other is a lose defender. We play this with Buddy who is a bigger body, a decent mark, is very quick but like all players struggles when he's 2 on 1.

As you said he's a strong mark, kick, tackle, he should be a fantastic forward flanker. There's so many things of what he can do, but in the end he doesn't do them enough
The key is buddy though.... having buddy in the team will help free up rohan of he was isolated...franklin nearly always gets double teamed...i doubt they will drop one in front of rohan and let franklon run amok up the ground

Bloody

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
The key is buddy though.... having buddy in the team will help free up rohan of he was isolated...franklin nearly always gets double teamed...i doubt they will drop one in front of rohan and let franklon run amok up the ground

Thompson from North normally plays buddy that way and Rance though think he swaps with Grimes or Astbury when buddy goes up the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back