Unofficial Preview Round 1 2018 away to West Coast 7:10pm Sunday March 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
So we flood the midfield with our forwards to create the ball. West Coast do the same and with no width at Subi it'll be a huge slog as we can't go to the flanks for a loose players and WCE will no doubt park players close to the 50 to stop short kicks. I would expect us to win the contested ball so we should get it out or the ruck most of the time but most of our kicks will be very hurried, high and long into the 50. WCE play a defender on each Rohan & Buddy while having a loose man to intercept the ball and contest the mark.
Its a new gameplan we live and die by but throughout stages of the game it is something we can implement when we start to get too stagnant and predictable

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Little from column A a little from column B. It's been a rough day..... :)
All good, it was deserved. The Eagles record on the mcg is crap at best in recent times, it'll be interesting to see how their game plan changes if at all on their home turf.

He's one of our top five most important players. If it were even a small injury it would have been updated

He has come a long way.

Fascinated to see if he can take the next step and become a great player.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE play the MCG well....really really well

Lel
Sorry for intruding but Perth Stadium is not quite the same in dimensions as the MCG from what I've heard which is why WCE are planning for 2 ovals to be constructed at their new training grounds at Lathlain - one the dimensions of Perth Stadium and the other the dimensions of the MCG. Perth Stadium is wider than Subi - not sure about the length. I've heard that PS compares more to Etihad?

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Best guesses of the availability of your players who are listed as test?

Seems like Naitanui is forming.

Interesting strategy. Playing him against a newbie ruckman might seem sound....but wait! Eagles have forgotten Towers, our little ruckman who could:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stud firming for r1 according to Kennedy
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-03-18/a-round-1-bolter
"Twelve disposals and six marks at 75 percent efficiency in the club's first pre-season hit-out against Brisbane was followed up by another assured performance in limited game time against Greater Western Sydney.
With veteran half-back Jarrad McVeigh unlikely to be fit for the opening round with a calf complaint, Stoddart's ability to hit the ground running at AFL level has quickly won the respect of the playing group.
"He has composure, he's quick and uses the ball well and his understanding of his role, the team structures and what's required of him is very impressive," Kennedy said.
"He takes the game on and has caught the guys attention."
McVeigh isn't the only important Swan in doubt to face the Eagles, with Kennedy's midfield partner in crime, Dan Hannebery, also struggling with a calf issue.
Like McVeigh, injury has prevented the three-time All Australian from taking to the field this pre-season, and Kennedy wasn't sure of Hannebery's chances of joining him on the flight to Perth.
"He's a realistic chance, maybe 50-50, I'm not too sure," Kennedy said.

Looks like they have pencilled in Ryley Stoddart.
Exciting times watching all the young players coming into the team :) :)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-03-18/a-round-1-bolter
"Twelve disposals and six marks at 75 percent efficiency in the club's first pre-season hit-out against Brisbane was followed up by another assured performance in limited game time against Greater Western Sydney.
With veteran half-back Jarrad McVeigh unlikely to be fit for the opening round with a calf complaint, Stoddart's ability to hit the ground running at AFL level has quickly won the respect of the playing group.
"He has composure, he's quick and uses the ball well and his understanding of his role, the team structures and what's required of him is very impressive," Kennedy said.
"He takes the game on and has caught the guys attention."
McVeigh isn't the only important Swan in doubt to face the Eagles, with Kennedy's midfield partner in crime, Dan Hannebery, also struggling with a calf issue.
Like McVeigh, injury has prevented the three-time All Australian from taking to the field this pre-season, and Kennedy wasn't sure of Hannebery's chances of joining him on the flight to Perth.
"He's a realistic chance, maybe 50-50, I'm not too sure," Kennedy said.

Looks like they have pencilled in Ryley Stoddart.
Exciting times watching all the young players coming into the team :) :)

I don't want him in the team quite yet as he needs to spend time in the NEAFL to learn how to find the ball more but I would love to see him in the team at some point in 2018 though as he looks like a real talent.

swannyfan

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wall St. Turtles
Be great to see him out there. Offensively, looks as good as any. Defensively, not sure he's quite ready yet. Unless we lack options, think club will take the conservative approach.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Just finished watching the GWS match, I know this has been said but I was really unimpressed with Rohan's performance. Offered very little, never got the ball, he did lay a good tackle but otherwise I wouldn't have known he was out there. I've watched all preseason games now and can't think of much he's done. Get him to the 2s, whether it's to get 30 disposals or 10 he's just not up to scratch.

On the flipside I loved Fox's game even more. He really did provide a nice avenue out of defence and his spoil on Cameron in the last quarter was amazing (Cameron jumped on Melican's head, Fox meets him and contests). I really feel he deserves a run against the Eagles

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just finished watching the GWS match, I know this has been said but I was really unimpressed with Rohan's performance. Offered very little, never got the ball, he did lay a good tackle but otherwise I wouldn't have known he was out there. I've watched all preseason games now and can't think of much he's done. Get him to the 2s, whether it's to get 30 disposals or 10 he's just not up to scratch.

On the flipside I loved Fox's game even more. He really did provide a nice avenue out of defence and his spoil on Cameron in the last quarter was amazing (Cameron jumped on Melican's head, Fox meets him and contests). I really feel he deserves a run against the Eagles
Yeah I’m sure the fact that one of his children is going to die immediately following their birth wouldn’t be playing on his mind 24/7. Give the guy a break!

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I’m sure the fact that one of his children is going to die immediately following their birth wouldn’t be playing on his mind 24/7. Give the guy a break!
You cant blame the bloke of footy isnt the first thing on his mind right not....in saying that, he shouldnt be in the team ( like any player) if thats the case.. its not fair on the teama and its not fair for him and his family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back