Preview Round 1, 2018 - Melbourne v Geelong, Sunday 25 March, 3.20pm - MCG

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is better when he gets his hands out in front rather than waiting to take the ball as a chest mark.

This is where we need Hawkins to move more and the ball delivery in front of him not on his head or over the top.

The coaches might need to instruct the midfield to insure they drop the ball short of Hawkins, especially if he tries to get into wrestling matches - and if he complains about the delivery, the coaches need to tell him to get on his bike as wrestling won't be accepted

That is the essence of it. Tomahawk usually marks well when he runs on the lead.

If unsure I'd rather the players kicks off 40/50m down the boundary line - not a blind bomb down the middle of the ground. Even if it results in a free kick for a deliberate out of bounds, we can better set up defensively then we can of we turn it over from dinky nothing handballs, or a turnover in the middle.

Exactly! Great observation cats09. A couple of players outside the contest, could gather near the boundary, to mark + move the ball forward. That would create space, instead of the opposition crowding us + forcing turnovers by panicky handballs.

Been avoiding looking at possible team slections up to this point, because I knew it was going to be ugly, but I never imagined it was going to be this ugly.......thats one of the weakest Geelong teams ive seen on paper for years
I hope Im wrong but i cant see us getting anywhere near them today.
Why would they hold onto Black, Stanley, Gardner or go after Crameri if there isnt even a spot for them in one of our weakest line ups ever ?
The club has been sitting on its hands and missed the jump this year

i wouldn’t say gaz and parfitt have genuine zip, both smart footy players but if we have rata, menz and hawk in the forwardline at the same time that is still too many not chasing and pressuring in today’s game for mine

You obviously didn’t see Esava play in the JLT.

i wouldn’t say gaz and parfitt have genuine zip, both smart footy players but if we have rata, menz and hawk in the forwardline at the same time that is still too many not chasing and pressuring in today’s game for mine
Parsons doesnt chase either...at best hes a 10-12 possession getter with no defensive element to his game
I dont recall ever seeing a weaker forward line on paper in recent times
What the hell has Eva done to warrant a Senior call up.........or is it just a case of him being the best of a horrible lot (Black, Stanley. Buzza and Crameri)

Been avoiding looking at possible team slections up to this point, because I knew it was going to be ugly, but I never imagined it was going to be this ugly.......thats one of the weakest Geelong teams ive seen on paper for years
Why would they hold onto Black, Stanley, Gardner or go after Crameri if there isnt even a spot for them in one of our weakest line ups ever ?
Crameri said earlier in the week he was sore during the 3rd in the reserves and needed a few more games. Gardner is injured. Stanley was in the team on Thursday but dropped for Sav by Friday.

This is wildly wrong. How would you measure pace if not by the ability to outrun opponents over limited distance? He has that, as shown by consistent chase down tackles.

He doesn't move at speed with the ball because he's more thoughtful with his disposal than that and his evasion compensates. But that doesn't mean he lacks pace.
Great post. It’s increasingly frustrating that people judge pace only by the ability of a player to burn the turf on long runs bouncing the ball. Anyone who doesn’t is “slow”.

Crameri said earlier in the week he was sore during the 3rd in the reserves and needed a few more games. Gardner is injured. Stanley was in the team on Thursday but dropped for Sav by Friday.
Black, Buzza?
Worst preperation heading into a season i can recall in years. As a result we're giving away games to blokes like Eva who wouldnt even get a game at most other clubs

Black, Buzza?
Worst preperation heading into a season i can recall in years. As a result we're giving away games to blokes like Eva who wouldnt even get a game at most other clubs
Honestly Esava has gone past Buzza. Black imo isn’t rated internally for whatever reason.

Honestly Esava has gone past Buzza. Black imo isn’t rated internally for whatever reason.
Then why hold onto him then? (rhetorical)
To say Im disappointed with our preparation, and its essentially because we continue to hold onto or further recruit perpetually injured players is an understatement.
However I an taking a new approach this year Doc and Ill go into the match to find the positives where I can.
I hope Im wrong about the final result, but Im not confident

Last edited:
While I'm disappointed that Merrick is injured, because he can play Midfield or Defence, must admit I'm guilty of getting sucked in by the 'Murda's a spud' brigade.

Murda, who only completed about 60% of preseasons prior to this Summer, completed 85-90% of this preseason. He said the frightening/jinxing catchphrase that he's had his best preseason ever.

His performance in the VFL practise game -v- Essendon was described as 'dazzling'. We know it's a big step up to AFL level + he's being given yet another chance, so if he can give the same level of determination as the VFL practice game, with some impact, I'll be satisfied.

Murdoch was described in an article as a 'line breaker', what does that mean?

David Wojcinski. ;)

Scott said Crameri will have two or three games in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black they clearly seem to not rate (he was kept as contracted). Crameri they rate but last week was his first game in 12 months. He'll be in afl once match fit. Stanley's a decent backup ruck who is an awful forward and Gardner is a kid.

Then why hold onto him then? (rhetorical)
To say Im disappointed with our preparation, and its essentially because we continue to hold onto or further recruit perpetually injured players is an understatement.
However I an taking a new approach this year Doc and Ill go into the match to find the positives where I can.
I hope Im wrong about the final result, but Im not confident

Contracted.

Why not keep them in the VFL? Perhaps play them in a game like today when we have injured players ???

He is being kept in the vfl on the list.
Probably not playing AFL today because he didn't play JLT.

He is being kept in the vfl on the list.
Probably not playing AFL today because he didn't play JLT.

I was referring more to the list cloggers, not just Black.

Do we need a gameday thread when so many of our fellow posters can compare the named 22s and pre-emptively call the result?
I thought the match had already been won by Melbourne with the way some have been talking all week

5 things I’m looking forward to in today’s game:
1: Selwood 250 games champion player and great leader.
2: Ablett back playing for Geelong as long as he plays a role and doesn’t get injured I’ll be very happy.
3: Debutants really excited to see Sav, Kelly and Fogarty.
4: The forward line Hawkins looked very good pre season, want Menzel to take his game up a notch and the smalls and their impact.
5: Backline no henderson, Lonergan or Mackie the Dees have a good forwadline let’s hope he backline can negate them and provide drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back