VFL Round 1, 2018: Sandringham v Footscray 2pm TBBO

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to cut out just after half time.
I was at Can Hill end for the majority until Dan’s injury, then in front of the Coaches Box on the wing.
Just to recap some of my thoughts on the game time that I saw:
We got a good one in Battle.
He will be playing AFL level shortly.
Jack Steele played inside mid and played well.
Hunter started each Centre bounce and also played well.
Hickey played a great game.
I’ve been noncommittal about Lonie. Cannot speak to his second half but that error in the second was a direct result of him being too flash by half. I heard his coach’s views!! Does not deserve a game at AFL until that crap is fixed.
Impressed with Claravino.
Goddard too.
And Phillips.
Actually they were all pretty good and not surprised we came away with the game in the last quarter. Kicking with the wind and the tide to the Hampton goal. I’ve seen that happen many times.

Some impressions:
We appeared to be playing guys in their AFL roles.
Hamill appears more suited to this gig than Gilbee.
I liked our structure.
I liked the way we played.
Irrespective of the result, we were better than last year - and significantly so.
I also get the impression that we have understudy roles.
I was at the interchange gate watching the coaches and rotations etc. Goddard was waiting to go on, and he was yelling instructions to his very inexperienced back six. Maybe that’s something that either Jake or Brown would be doing in the ones?
Battle was doing a similar thing with the forwards.
Think it’s called leadership.
Great to see Matt Maguire as an assistant coach.

I think we might have a good year at Sandringham this year.
great stuff sunny for the updates and comments

Great to hear Steele and Clark get some leather, hopefully both will be back in seniors soon. Any clear kpb to take over from browny??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From AFL website:

A sickening collision in the second quarter saw fourth-year utility Daniel McKenzie taken from the ground on a stretcher and taken to hospital as a precaution.

The 21-year-old has been cleared of serious injury but was suffering from a severe headache.

did they have a replay of the good friday game on at TBBO and the poor bastard accidentally glanced up and watched a bit of it?

atleast that's how i felt after watching it. same symptoms.

Great to hear Steele and Clark get some leather, hopefully both will be back in seniors soon. Any clear kpb to take over from browny??
No.
Austin/Joyce contained Boyd.
Hugh was the back six general
Was good for VFL though clearly still lacking match fitness.
He just needs games now.
Clavarino did some nice things (one very nice Jake Lever spoil) but is a kid.
Hugh would be next start at this stage.

Well after a day of watching Zebs / Saints back to back I can definitely see continuity. Short of a mantra of tackle, chase, harass, effort (insert something to do with workrate here), I see no clearly identifiable game plan at either level.However, I did pick up two things that seem consistant.

1. We must never, under any circumstances, change up the mix in the center square. We must at all times use the same 3 or 4 mids. No matter what!!

2. If a forward is against three opponents then we must kick it on top his head, because that is the best option.

Beyond commenting on our gameplan, I can clearly note that our scoreboard accuracy is generally representative of our kicking skills (regardless of the level). Marginally better in the two's, but still well and truly below standard. And same as the Saints, a few key players carried a lot of passengers.

For anyone who didn't see both games (Saints and Zebs), the main difference between the two was the standard of opposition. Adelaide had three additional gears they didn't use and won by close to 10 goals. Footscray reserves team were generally reflective of how well their seniors are currently playing.

Moral of the story. Round one Sandy win looks very very very similar to round one St.Kilda win. I really really hope I am wrong, but if anyone is looking for good news I would maybe look elsewhere. Best I can do is the following:
  • Jack Steele is a gun and very promising centerman. Should be back in the ones playing in a forward pocket in no time!
  • Clarke also looks good in the center. Apparently he may be a midfielder. If he keeps this up by midyear he will join Steele in the AFL on a flank. His two shots running into goal also show that his kicking for goal looks up to St.Kilda's AFL standards
  • Without Gilbo, the Zebs almost certainly lose that game. Gee it must be nice to have an older leader instructing young players where to position themselves when unsure
  • Goddard is healthy and moving well
  • We aren't paying Tom Boyd $1m a year to impersonate a lamppost
  • Weather was good
  • My dog isn't as fat as Mav Weller's

Last edited:
Well after a day of watching Zebs / Saints back to back I can definitely see continuity. Short of a mantra of tackle, chase, harass, effort (insert something to do with workrate here), I see no clearly identifiable game plan at either level.However, I did pick up two things that seem consistant.

1. We must never, under any circumstances, change up the mix in the center square. We must at all times use the same 3 or 4 mids. No matter what!!

2. If a forward is against three opponents then we must kick it on top his head, because that is the best option.

Beyond commenting on our gameplan, I can clearly note that our scoreboard accuracy is generally representative of our kicking skills (regardless of the level). Marginally better in the two's, but still well and truly below standard. And same as the Saints, a few key players carried a lot of passengers.

For anyone who didn't see both games (Saints and Zebs), the main difference between the two was the standard of opposition. Adelaide had three additional gears they didn't use and won by close to 10 goals. Footscray reserves team were generally reflective of how well their seniors are currently playing.

Moral of the story. Round one Sandy win looks very very very similar to round one St.Kilda win. I really really hope I am wrong, but if anyone is looking for good news I would maybe look elsewhere. Best I can do is the following:
  • Jack Steele is a gun and very promising centerman. Should be back in the ones playing in a forward pocket in no time!
  • Clarke also looks good in the center. Apparently he may be a midfielder. If he keeps this up by midyear he will join Steele in the AFL on a flank. His two shots running into goal also show that his kicking for goal looks up to St.Kilda's AFL standards
  • Without Gilbo, the Zebs almost certainly lose that game. Gee it must be nice to have an older leader instructing young players where to position themselves when unsure
  • Goddard is healthy and moving well
  • We aren't paying Tom Boyd $1m a year to impersonate a lamppost
  • Weather was good
  • My dog isn't as fat as Mav Weller's
LOL.
That dog is certainly “stout”

Armo and paddy I reckon. Steele and battle like for like.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Battle didnt have anyone on him for the first half. Prob why he kicked 3. Must have had B.O. not sure he gets in just yet lets see if can string a few together. With a man actually on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back