Preview Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 24th March, 3:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 163 83.2%
  • Lions

Votes: 33 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't forgotten mate .I highlighted him as someone who is ready to go to that next level.

My exploders are Gresh,Billings and Paddy.
My slow cooked improvers are Ross Steele and Acres

Membrey is at the right level of experience to come on having just hit 50 games at the end of last year. You would hope he has a bit more room to develop still.

Gresh should be a mid, and Billings in the forward half. Those two have the most potential to be true A grade and can hurt the opposition. Ross has improved but is no Lenny and will be most effective with more class around him- he is good, but no game changer like some class midfielders. Where do we play Acres? much talent, but just seems that he had no chance to settle last season- Richo needs to give him a role, and stick to it.

Unfortunately Gresh isn't fit enough to be a mid yet. Hopefully he will one day be that person. We need his smarts.

Gresham is literally THE player on our list that would drag my ass off the couch to watch a game live

the kid is superstar potential and i'm not saying that lightly

when s**t looks like going south for us and someone needs to provide a spark to start the fire to get us running hot again, its usually him. its just sometimes the act he does looks inconsequential

an obvious example of this is the game vs geelong. in 2016. geelong kicked ahead by a goal and a bit. we looked cooked in the 4th. he demands the footy, turns one of geelongs most decorated veterans inside out and slots a goal from the pocket. thats no small feat, especially given the way in which he turned him inside out, let alone the ability to turn it into a score conversion, given our issues on that front

last year vs freo, the intercept mark

hell even the lost game vs the demons, we looked dead in parts and he'd get onto the end of a possession chain or win the ball to set up an offensive play

i guess what i'm saying is, we cant just measure players based on stats. how much did they get the ball, if it was contested or how many tackles they laid. hell you cant even measure it by goals kicked.

sometimes you have to watch the game and look for moments of impact. WHO is the one that STEPS UP when no one else is. who drags the team with them.

gresham has that in spades which is impressive given his age

Think you guys will win comfortably and going by the recent games your team will be very confident of a win

Just hoping to see some more improvement from our young Lions
really like Fagan as a coach.

I haven't forgotten mate .I highlighted him as someone who is ready to go to that next level.

My exploders are Gresh,Billings and Paddy.
My slow cooked improvers are Ross Steele and Acres

Membrey ....think he could be really special given decent supply

Acres if played on the ball will be amazing particularly in traffic.

Carlisle has another level too

Gresham is literally THE player on our list that would drag my ass off the couch to watch a game live

the kid is superstar potential and i'm not saying that lightly

when s**t looks like going south for us and someone needs to provide a spark to start the fire to get us running hot again, its usually him. its just sometimes the act he does looks inconsequential

an obvious example of this is the game vs geelong. in 2016. geelong kicked ahead by a goal and a bit. we looked cooked in the 4th. he demands the footy, turns one of geelongs most decorated veterans inside out and slots a goal from the pocket. thats no small feat, especially given the way in which he turned him inside out, let alone the ability to turn it into a score conversion, given our issues on that front

last year vs freo, the intercept mark

hell even the lost game vs the demons, we looked dead in parts and he'd get onto the end of a possession chain or win the ball to set up an offensive play

i guess what i'm saying is, we cant just measure players based on stats. how much did they get the ball, if it was contested or how many tackles they laid. hell you cant even measure it by goals kicked.

sometimes you have to watch the game and look for moments of impact. WHO is the one that STEPS UP when no one else is. who drags the team with them.

gresham has that in spades which is impressive given his age

I remember there was a game (either ‘16 or ‘17) where both team’s skills were down and and every play was a series of players crashing into each other. Gresh just did a sidestep the fired a handball into the corridor to someone completely open that no one saw and we broke away and scored. After that the match was on our terms. I can remember a few other times in matches where he did something small but effective and set up a drive and some momentum.

Throw in the 5 goals he kicked in the final round last year when the Tigers were spanking us. Even when everyone else seemed down he had a lot of spark.

I remember there was a game (either ‘16 or ‘17) where both team’s skills were down and and every play was a series of players crashing into each other. Gresh just did a sidestep the fired a handball into the corridor to someone completely open that no one saw and we broke away and scored. After that the match was on our terms. I can remember a few other times in matches where he did something small but effective and set up a drive and some momentum.

Throw in the 5 goals he kicked in the final round last year when the Tigers were spanking us. Even when everyone else seemed down he had a lot of spark.
That handball was against freo into the corridor it was magical

Hey guys,

Does Savage get tagged somewhat frequently historically? Can see someone like Bell playing a defensive role on him.

Hey guys,

Does Savage get tagged somewhat frequently historically? Can see someone like Bell playing a defensive role on him.
Our players in general can struggle with tagging. We saw it often with Steven. But Savage can easily be tagged out because I believe this is the first season where he is going in that sort of form, I don't think he has faced tagging before but I'm sure he might not be able to cope with it though. If you want to tag someone, tag BILLINGS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

A few teams played a defensive forward on Roberton in the second half of last year, which reduced his output but let others off the leash. That's how we would have to beat a Savage tag, make sure other guys (Roberton, Webster, Newnes etc.) are providing that same drive from half back

Hey guys,

Has been tagged in the past. At his best he's extremely damaging so I can see it happening again this year.

we will come out and spank this lot
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Our players in general can struggle with tagging. We saw it often with Steven. But Savage can easily be tagged out because I believe this is the first season where he is going in that sort of form, I don't think he has faced tagging before but I'm sure he might not be able to cope with it though. If you want to tag someone, tag BILLINGS.
2 years ago he come out bog first two games then got tagged out if im not mistaken.

Hey guys,

Last year & years previous, some opp teams would put a defensive forward on Roberton or Savage which would kill our drive from defence. Richo needs to be smarter this year & not let that that happen. For mine, if opposition teams try this, he needs to get creative & push them up onto a wing so drive from half back isn’t compromised & swap Newnes to be that offensive half back position. Robbo or Sav could them capitalise on that matchup from the wing by being a link man instead of the half back setup general.

If Brandon White is in the team, I’d also consider moving Webster into a more offensive role back there & have White play the more defensive post Webster plays.

We have options, we just need to be smart & utilise them to best suit the way we want to play without letting opp teams dictate our play with their cunning set ups

2 years ago he come out bog first two games then got tagged out if im not mistaken.
3 years ago, 2015. That was his 2nd year with us and carrying on from his excellent last 8 games the previous year (on his return to the side, once switched to defence for the first time) he started 2015 in similar fashion and was killing it back there, but then in R4 over in NZ Carlton sat someone on him and kept him to 15 possies and then the next week I think he was sat on again, and had just 11, and that was that for him playing in defence for basically the rest of that year.

Played just 13% the next week (presumably started as sub) and then for most of the remaining games that season played forward or wing, and Robbo took over the role he had been playing.

So Sav didn't seem to handle the tag back then, so it will be extremely interesting to see how he handles it this year if they come for him again.

Hopefully having lost the 5kgs of bulk will improve his running capacity and help him outrun anyone who's following him around.

How will our supporters handle it if we drop one of our first two games against opposition widely picked to be bottom three

How will our supporters handle it if we drop one of our first two games against opposition widely picked to be bottom three
Badly, Very Badly

That brand new training facility at Moorabbin may become a smoulding shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back