Preview Round 1 2018 - Sydney Swans at West Coast Eagles (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2008
New South Wales
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Roosters
Foote is rather puzzling unless he's just going to be emergency a lot and will be last choice. Better players with a bit more upside playing reserves.

Hanners not travelling good decision, surprised we have taken McVeigh, figured we'd have a lot of depth to cover for him and it's obviously a long trip.

With that being said if he is going to play from the bench I'd like
Hayward, Fox, Florent, McVeigh

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Genuinely surprised that Cameron was not named. Can only surmise that Reid will ruck if Sinclair fails to get up. No way can Towers do an entire game. No additional tallish forward if Reid rucks or misses. All a bit odd. Perhaps Horse plans to do a Richmond.

John Longmire

Debutant
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
If you play injured blokes in the first game of the year...they’ll be after you with pitchforks.
Hope you get lots of rest on the flight over:p
That's why I have chosen Jordan Foote as an emergency. Should McVeigh go down right before the game starts I'll put in the next best option in Jordan.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If Either him or Robinson Play Longmire is ******* Kidding himself about this being a premierships list. They are both hacks who would not even be prominent VFL Players.

Robbo can play. Foote can't. They're nowhere comparable.

One day I'll get a chance to ask about the Foote love because I just don't get it.

No I disagree. Robbo can play.

Agree to disagree. Won't be a player I agree with you. Just don't see it, too many shortcomings. He is however a handy depth player and you need those in your squad, it is a long season. However if you ask me is he in our best 22, I personally would say no he isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Useless bit of trivia for the season coming up... the last three games where Buddy has kicked 5 goals, we have lost. I know he seems ripe for a bag against an inexperienced Eagles side, but let's just hope it falls on the right side of five goals. ;)
Not to worry, I'm expecting 7 :D:p;)

I'm a bit surprised at the 'shock' that McVeigh is playing. Imo, he was always going to play if fit due to owen last year. They need to win this game, regardless of expectations, to get rid of any niggling doubts in the back of the mind.

Last year showed how important Macca is to this young team, and to my mind he was always going to play if he got up. I for one will be glad he is there, even if for limited minutes.

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a bit surprised at the 'shock' that McVeigh is playing. Imo, he was always going to play if fit due to owen last year. They need to win this game, regardless of expectations, to get rid of any niggling doubts in the back of the mind.

Last year showed how important Macca is to this young team, and to my mind he was always going to play if he got up. I for one will be glad he is there, even if for limited minutes.
He’s going to be really underdone though, and with the cokers playing a youthful forward line I don’t anticipate him doing much defending in defense.

Other than lack of conditioning I’m happy for him to play.

He’s going to be really underdone though, and with the cokers playing a youthful forward line I don’t anticipate him doing much defending in defense.

Other than lack of conditioning I’m happy for him to play.
Yes, he will be underdone and that's not great for an ageing player, but, (and it's a huge but,) his leadership and footy nous will mean that a lot of the younger players around him play better. We'll be better off for him being there I think...

EDIT: PS They are playing Nic Nat and he will be even more underdone!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree to disagree. Won't be a player I agree with you. Just don't see it, too many shortcomings. He is however a handy depth player and you need those in your squad, it is a long season. However if you ask me is he in our best 22, I personally would say no he isn't.
If he plays on Sunday...he’ll be in our best 22!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Will Macca really be that underdone? From all reports he did the great bulk of preseason with a slight hiccup towards the end.

I think the coaches probably see giving him more time at senior level as more beneficial with a tough run for the next 5 games following the Eagles.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I don’t think anyone would argue that he is best 22. He is however more well rounded the Foote as a footballer and to your point is handy depth to play a role for us should we need to call on him.

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes, he will be underdone and that's not great for an ageing player, but, (and it's a huge but,) his leadership and footy nous will mean that a lot of the younger players around him play better. We'll be better off for him being there I think...

EDIT: PS They are playing Nic Nat and he will be even more underdone!
Yeah but Mcveigh is 50 and Nat is 27...

Yeah it could be a good move, but I think if we need to rely on Macca to calm down the troops down back then maybe we aren't as composed as we think we are. Plus, the backline is already filled with experienced players like Reg, Smith, Mills now, and Reid swinging like the late 60s...

Anyway, my only beef is taking injured or underdone players into the first game. Jack shouldn't have played at the start of last year, and his presence (or lack thereof due to carrying an injury) didn't really help.

We'll find out Sunday! Whooohooo, bring on the footy!!

I don’t think anyone would argue that he is best 22. He is however more well rounded the Foote as a footballer and to your point is handy depth to play a role for us should we need to call on him.

Both Foote and Robinson have severe deficiencies I just hope we aren’t using this depth too often. It scares the you know what’s out of me if these two have to make decisions in close games.

I don't get the Robbo hate.

I have never seen him play a senior game and thought, oh wow he's hurting the team out there. If anything he's either be solid or maybe abit quiet. He's not going to be a star and we won't play every game but he's good depth to have.

Foote on the other hand...

I don't get the Robbo hate.

I have never seen him play a senior game and thought, oh wow he's hurting the team out there. If anything he's either be solid or maybe abit quiet. He's not going to be a star and we won't play every game but he's good depth to have.

Foote on the other hand...

Robbo has made some solid contributions I agree

foote is arguably the worst player to ever pull on a swans jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back