Preview Round 1 2018 - Sydney Swans at West Coast Eagles (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Foote is a "jobber" as some commentators used to refer to some members of our 2005 p'ship team. I can assure you that long before many on here knew about the Swans, there was a couple blokes called Ben Matthews & Jared Crouch who had raised many eyebrows as to how they could get senior AFL footy games, such was their questionable skill level early days. Fast forward a few years into our new system under Roos where as long as he had a player that was prepared to follow the coaches instruction to be a critical working piece in our team with our game plan, then it didn't matter how talented & skillful they weren't because their main asset was to sacrifice their role for the benefit of the team.

Now the last time I looked, our club still runs by that same ethos where we will have the odd player that won't be the most skillful on our list but will have the capacity to understand the role asked of him & carry his role out on game day, whether it be in the NEAFL or whether he is called up for duty in the seniors.

Why some of our supporters of a team that doesn't attract top 5 draft picks years on end, suddenly want to compare some of the cheap rookies recruited to the club with a highly regarded top 5 pick from another club, confuses me having watched the very thing that won us a flag in 2005.
In fact the Tigers won their flag last year with the same ethos. They have a few players in their team that are just "jobbers" but they have the capacity to understand their roles in that team, leaving the real flashy stuff to Dusty & Cotchin etc.

Now Foote may not be the man that will become our next Crouch or Matthews but rest assured, there will be someone else on our list in the future that many will refer to as "not a footballers a-hole", long after Foote is gone.
We should all know by now that it is those players that are on the fringe of the team, fighting desperately for a gig in the best 22, that ultimately get a team over the line for a p'ship. As I said, Foote could very well be unlikely to fit this description but perhaps then, the Sydney Swans may not win a p'ship for another 72 years..............and all that.
I watched a bloke called Lambert for the Tigers last night who hardly touched it last night but he ran all night meaning he had a certain role to play & I have no doubt that his coaches would have been content with that.

Just my opinion.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The moment which lost it for me with Foote was last year against the Giants. We were in our 50 and the ball was going out, under no pressure Foote thought it would be a good idea to try and kick it back into the field from the line, instead all he did was kick it further out - from head height! It was the most bizarre thing I've seen from an "A" grade footballer

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
The moment which lost it for me with Foote was last year against the Giants. We were in our 50 and the ball was going out, under no pressure Foote thought it would be a good idea to try and kick it back into the field from the line, instead all he did was kick it further out - from head height! It was the most bizarre thing I've seen from an "A" grade footballer

I've seen it from top 5 drafted footballers.
Whatever criticism people have of players like Foote, at least they haven't cost the club both in cap space & draft picks while on our list. Might not work out but no team is perfect.

Foote is a "jobber" as some commentators used to refer to some members of our 2005 p'ship team. I can assure you that long before many on here knew about the Swans, there was a couple blokes called Ben Matthews & Jared Crouch who had raised many eyebrows as to how they could get senior AFL footy games, such was their questionable skill level early days. Fast forward a few years into our new system under Roos where as long as he had a player that was prepared to follow the coaches instruction to be a critical working piece in our team with our game plan, then it didn't matter how talented & skillful they weren't because their main asset was to sacrifice their role for the benefit of the team.

Now the last time I looked, our club still runs by that same ethos where we will have the odd player that won't be the most skillful on our list but will have the capacity to understand the role asked of him & carry his role out on game day, whether it be in the NEAFL or whether he is called up for duty in the seniors.

Why some of our supporters of a team that doesn't attract top 5 draft picks years on end, suddenly want to compare some of the cheap rookies recruited to the club with a highly regarded top 5 pick from another club, confuses me having watched the very thing that won us a flag in 2005.
In fact the Tigers won their flag last year with the same ethos. They have a few players in their team that are just "jobbers" but they have the capacity to understand their roles in that team, leaving the real flashy stuff to Dusty & Cotchin etc.

Now Foote may not be the man that will become our next Crouch or Matthews but rest assured, there will be someone else on our list in the future that many will refer to as "not a footballers a-hole", long after Foote is gone.
We should all know by now that it is those players that are on the fringe of the team, fighting desperately for a gig in the best 22, that ultimately get a team over the line for a p'ship. As I said, Foote could very well be unlikely to fit this description but perhaps then, the Sydney Swans may not win a p'ship for another 72 years..............and all that.
I watched a bloke called Lambert for the Tigers last night who hardly touched it last night but he ran all night meaning he had a certain role to play & I have no doubt that his coaches would have been content with that.

Just my opinion.

The disrespect you have for matthews and crouch, they both showed 100 times more than foote early on, gee whiz

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
The disrespect you have for matthews and crouch, they both showed 100 times more than foote early on, gee whiz
No I love them & often use them as a reference because of their dedication & self sacrifice of their game for the team so quite the opposite.
But early days their skill level was very ordinary & I believe the short chipping of the ball introduced by Roos to control the tempo helped them with our game plan & they mastered their negating roles.

Just my thoughts King & not saying that Foote will follow suit but I was right with Mr 50 games Dean Towers.
He was written off too before he had time to develop his role in the team. I'll wait until any player is delisted before I pass super critical judgement.
For season 2018 he is still a senior listed player & named as an emergency meaning that the coaches rate him.

This place will be onto the next bloke when he is gone as if to expect every person we pick should become a 100 game p'ship player.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a bit surprised at the 'shock' that McVeigh is playing. Imo, he was always going to play if fit due to owen last year. They need to win this game, regardless of expectations, to get rid of any niggling doubts in the back of the mind.

Last year showed how important Macca is to this young team, and to my mind he was always going to play if he got up. I for one will be glad he is there, even if for limited minutes.

TBH I think that is a myth.

Going into rd 15 last year he had played 2 games and in the second of those he played little in defence after hurting his hamstring.

IMO Rampe's leadership/organisation and skill set is what we missed far more than McVeigh's.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Just my opinion.

Could be Foote's breakout year.. 100 gamer in the making

TBH I think that is a myth.

Going into rd 15 last year he had played 2 games and in the second of those he played little in defence after hurting his hamstring.

IMO Rampe's leadership/organisation and skill set is what we missed far more than McVeigh's.
TBH I think you're wrong.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Gee whiz Hayward as an emergency... thought for sure he'd play

I didn’t. Pressure for spots and he didn’t stand out through preseason. This is the team I expected. Very happy to see Florent and Fox in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t. Pressure for spots and he didn’t stand out through preseason. This is the team I expected. Very happy to see Florent and Fox in the 22.

Yeah me too but still thought he'd be backed in. Credit to Horse for rewarding form though

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Useless bit of trivia for the season coming up... the last three games where Buddy has kicked 5 goals, we have lost. I know he seems ripe for a bag against an inexperienced Eagles side, but let's just hope it falls on the right side of five goals. ;)
I wonder if we've lost any where he's kicked 8?

I wonder if we've lost any where he's kicked 8?

He's only done it once and that was last year when beat Brisbane after Owen. On the nine occasions where he's kicked more than five goals for us, we've won all of them. Let's hope for a tenth occasion this weekend but I highly doubt it. Buddy has weirdly never performed that great against the Perth teams, or in Perth for that matter.

For all that's been said about West Coast's rebuild and how young and inexperienced they are, their average games played will be just over 106, and ours will be 109. They may have three debutants but the bulk of their side is in that 100-200 games category. The bulk of ours is in that 1-100 games category, plus McVeigh and Buddy highly inflate our figure.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Robbo can play. Foote can't. They're nowhere comparable.

One day I'll get a chance to ask about the Foote love because I just don't get it.

He is the pick of the 2 if you had to pick 1. He looks slow in mind and body although hard working and courageous. You might see some things I don't as we all do when judging players and I hope you are proven right. He probably does not deserve mugs like me calling him a hack because he does give effort but he is pretty close to being dead wood as other clubs attitude to him at trade table would suggest. If he is going to prove you right here is his opportunity, season 2018 because he should not be on the list after it if he does not become a regular this year. Players are not on AFL Lists To Be Reserves Footballers.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
Foote is a "jobber" as some commentators used to refer to some members of our 2005 p'ship team. I can assure you that long before many on here knew about the Swans, there was a couple blokes called Ben Matthews & Jared Crouch who had raised many eyebrows as to how they could get senior AFL footy games, such was their questionable skill level early days

that is many words but what does Foote have to do with those premiership players.
Crouch had fine disposal, Mathews did not but at least had some other things going for him.
Foote is more like a Sundqvist, a Thewlis or McGlone. I think even at a stretch he's not even a poor mans Tim Schmidt.

If you don't want to say anything negative about a player its your prerogative but its pretty irksome to come across walls of text that have nothing to do with the topic when someone posts a valid criticism.

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
that is many words but what does Foote have to do with those premiership players.
Crouch had fine disposal, Mathews did not but at least had some other things going for him.
Foote is more like a Sundqvist, a Thewlis or McGlone. I think even at a stretch he's not even a poor mans Tim Schmidt.

If you don't want to say anything negative about a player its your prerogative but its pretty irksome to come across walls of text that have nothing to do with the topic when someone posts a valid criticism.
Damn, that's a throwback. Scooter Mcglone. The big "What if." Ressies superstar.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm trying not to get too excited about Sunday.

Round 1 last year was such a let down, I hope the boys have the start of last year in the back of their minds and come out firing.
More so being against Collingwood. I ground my teeth, at least I have some, gnashed, howled at the moon and put a curse on Eddie, it's still working, after that

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I find the selection of McVeigh to be baffling.

He turns 33 in a fortnight.
He has a history of soft tissue injuries. Missed the first 6 games of last season with a calf injury, straight into the 1sts, hurt his hammy second game back, missed another 4 games (and then finally played in a NEAFL game).

This year he has missed our 3 pre-season games and just for good measure we intend to fly him to Perth & back.

Apparently the match committee see him as an indispensable member of the team.

Are we really that dependent on him?
With plenty of halfback options, I would have hoped not.
Obviously Longmire & co see it differently.

EDIT; Surely given our ruck options in the squad of 26 it would also have been prudent to include Cameron in the travelling party.
He will not play HB. He'll play forward I reckon.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
For mine it's a huge mistake not picking Hayward. He played great over there last year and WCE's backline isn't strong enough to defend multiple athletic forwards. He would have been the perfect third forward after Buddy and Reid for this game, whereas I think Fox and McVeigh's game plan responsibilities will overlap a bit.

Anyway, first round of the year so I'll trust the coaching staff (also, I'm a certified Hayward stan so very bias).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back