Preview Round 1 2018 - Sydney Swans at West Coast Eagles (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No probs.
I guess your '4 bricks' of text in response are more relevant but perhaps only because you are more entitled.

The relevance? Foote is a traveling emergency for the game mentioned in the thread title with many asking why he is even thought of by the coaches.

Yah that must be it.

You didn't even talk about Foote tho, you brought up players who started out 20 years ago, who at the equivalent stages of their careers had played many more games and made actual contributions in those games.

Yeah odd choice to have Newman, McVeigh and Fox all in the same side.

It's Horse's two point coaching manual.

1. As many players as possible must rotate through the mids, we'll grind them down.
2. If 1 is not working put Reid back.

I can see why Newman gets a cig, he can literally play anywhere. He's pretty elusive as a small/med fwd, got a nice step and can take advantage when the ball comes in helicopter style (our preferred method) and there's a scramble for it.
I'm really looking forward to the game and seeing what Fox and Florent can add.

Just really pleaple with this team. It's quick with decent kicking and nice aggression. Backing us to win this in a canter

I'd be more pleapled with the team if Stoddart was in and McV was warming up with a Neafle game - as we should win well regardless.
In any case I'm just pleapled footy is back. :footy: :)

It feels like déjà vu where we've picked underdone players before and it's never gone down well...but who knows hopefully McVeigh and Grundy are better prepared then the choices we've made in the past.
I have no idea what to make of the Eagles this year, but at a guess you'd say the very best they could achieve this year is scraping into the 8. You'd think if we're serious we can't afford to lose this one with a tough run coming up (based on last years ladder, which isn't really a good indicator, but it's the only one we have for now).

I Like Fox and Florent in the side.
I think we've got quite a very quick few fringe players in the side (e.g Cunningham, Towers) who either, for whatever reason don't use it to take the game on and break a line, or players (like Rohan) who do who just doesn't find enough footy to break lines often enough to really be damaging.

If a Florent or Fox can come on and have a breakthrough year and be that sort of player who can get 15 odd touches and will continue to run and break lines (and not lose confidence and go into safe mode when they mess up), it changes the side dramatically.

It feels like déjà vu where we've picked underdone players before and it's never gone down well...but who knows hopefully McVeigh and Grundy are better prepared then the choices we've made in the past.
I have no idea what to make of the Eagles this year, but at a guess you'd say the very best they could achieve this year is scraping into the 8. You'd think if we're serious we can't afford to lose this one with a tough run coming up (based on last years ladder, which isn't really a good indicator, but it's the only one we have for now).

I Like Fox and Florent in the side.
I think we've got quite a very quick few fringe players in the side (e.g Cunningham, Towers) who either, for whatever reason don't use it to take the game on and break a line, or players (like Rohan) who do who just doesn't find enough footy to break lines often enough to really be damaging.

If a Florent or Fox can come on and have a breakthrough year and be that sort of player who can get 15 odd touches and will continue to run and break lines (and not lose confidence and go into safe mode when they mess up), it changes the side dramatically.
I think the difference with Grundy is that he had a solid hitout last week or the week before with the reserves, and by all accounts went well.

Mcveigh is a different story, but he's proven us wrong before.

I'm glad they didn't play Hanners, he's too important to the side to risk...better to let him get back when he's 100% right.

Anyway, all this talk about our mids rotation strategy is meant to take some of the pressure off guys like hanners and Nosey, JK, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think this is a bit of a danger game for us?
Should win by 50+ if we are in any way serious. They lost 2 of their top 3 midfielders over the offseason, they don't have Kennedy who basically outscores the rest of their team, and we're without Naismith and Rohan.

I dno't like the McVeigh inclusion, i see a late out, Hayward in. As for Towers, he is now needed for that pinch hit ruck as it keeps Reid out of harms way. Not saying Deano is a sacrificial lamb or anything, but I think we would all like to see Reid as far away from centre bounces as possible. Fox has earned his spot, and we may have found another rookie gem. I can see him playing many games for us. Only one more sleep people, swans by 30

He’s going to be really underdone though, and with the cokers playing a youthful forward line I don’t anticipate him doing much defending in defense.

Other than lack of conditioning I’m happy for him to play.
Macca may not play so much in defence per se as in front of the back 6 or 7, depending. Bit like the soccer distributing midfielder. We have selected a very sprightly backline who should be able to get the ball out most of the time. If he can get us decent entries into 50 or to someone else to do so then he will be very handy indeed. That plus his pointing may win us the game.

I don’t think anyone would argue that he is best 22. He is however more well rounded the Foote as a footballer and to your point is handy depth to play a role for us should we need to call on him.
Robbo has mostly been played in seniors as a defensive forward but his "real" role as in the NEAFL is as an inside/outside mid. He is plenty skilful and tough but lacks a bit of speed.
Foote plays as an additional inside mid at both levels. He's tough too but not as skilful as Robbo with ball in hand.
Neither are best 22 with everyone fit, though IMO Robbo is closer. Robbo is better depth and you wouldn't hesitate to pick him if needed.

I didn’t. Pressure for spots and he didn’t stand out through preseason. This is the team I expected. Very happy to see Florent and Fox in the 22.
Hayward and Florent play very different roles. Florent is in to cover some of the outside work you would expect from Hanners. Heeney et al will need to cover the inside work. Hayward doesn't fit into that equation. It will be interesting to see which mids rotate forward and when as they will need to pick up the role Hayward would have done. Hewett and Towers won't. Looks to me like we are going to set up pretty hard behind the ball.

I think the difference with Grundy is that he had a solid hitout last week or the week before with the reserves, and by all accounts went well.

Mcveigh is a different story, but he's proven us wrong before.

I'm glad they didn't play Hanners, he's too important to the side to risk...better to let him get back when he's 100% right.

Anyway, all this talk about our mids rotation strategy is meant to take some of the pressure off guys like hanners and Nosey, JK, etc.
Watched Reg in the game against GWS. He was in good nick. Moved well and read the play as he does. Never in doubt IMO.
How can we know if Macca is good or not? That's the purpose of team doctors/physios/match committee, all of whom know a great deal more than us. Just hope they're right! Agree re Hanners. Much more of a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back