Preview Round 1 2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn, AO,Saturday 23rd of March 4:35 P.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I on my own here in believing the Crows don't really have any area that they scare me in? Their midfield is solid without the superstars (Omera is the best mid on the ground), their defence is solid without any threat that they will stop us from kicking a score, in fact I would hazard a guess that our forwards are far superior to their defenders and their attack is containable.....

Their mids are not electric but they have way more depth than us. It's a huge ask for Worp. I reckon we'll give Cuz a defensive assignment and play Jones as well. Crows can play pretty footy, Clarko will shut that down and try and get it to be a contest by contest game.

Nash & Lewis are not competing for the same spot last time I checked nash is not a c.h.f.
Lewis is more likely competing with roughy and ceglar.

Nash can play multiple roles but has been used as High pressure player since cyril retired, I think he will feature until wingard is ready to come back in the fwd line. He is likely to play a shut down role on one of there half backs

Hanarahan and Moore are both ready to play if Clarko goes down that path.

Imo Scrimshaw showed a fair bit. Would love to see him get a game. Not sure who goes out for him though. The only way I see him in the side is if Sicily goes forward. Sicily drops back when Scrimshaw has a spell.

A Nash/Scrimshaw/Sicily rotation could work.

What other roles do you think Nash plays out of interest? I've only seen him as a low possession, low tackle number, inaccurate half forward so far.
I thought Scrimshaw looked great and needs games. When Scrimshaw rests Sic goes back and Nash forward as part of the rotations. I am not convinced on Nash's versatility either but the match committee seem sold. As someone else posted he appears to be being fast tracked.

Am I on my own here in believing the Crows don't really have any area that they scare me in? Their midfield is solid without the superstars (Omera is the best mid on the ground), their defence is solid without any threat that they will stop us from kicking a score, in fact I would hazard a guess that our forwards are far superior to their defenders and their attack is containable especially with Stratts or Dimma keeping Eddie in check.

I genuinely think we will knock them off.
Omeara is not better than the Crouches or Sloane. Our Backline of Milera, Smith, Laird provide plenty of run. Talia still the general back there. Brown injured hurts as the small defensive defender but Laird can play that role as can Doedee. Or backs are fine. If our midfield gets first hands on it to feed Tex, JJ, Eddie I dont see Hawthorn getting within 5 goals. We only have Brown an Seedsman out injured. I havent seen our injury list like this since 2016 when our SANFL side made the prelim final and had 21 afl listed players playing.

Omeara is not better than the Crouches or Sloane. Our Backline of Milera, Smith, Laird provide plenty of run. Talia still the general back there. Brown injured hurts as the small defensive defender but Laird can play that role as can Doedee. Or backs are fine. If our midfield gets first hands on it to feed Tex, JJ, Eddie I dont see Hawthorn getting within 5 goals. We only have Brown an Seedsman out injured. I havent seen our injury list like this since 2016 when our SANFL side made the prelim final and had 21 afl listed players playing.

As good as Laird is he will have a tough time trying to contain Breust. Then there’s Puopolo who always plays well against Adelaide. For whatever reason the Crows always struggle to contain the Hawks small forwards.

Rd1 milestone. Shaun Burgoyne to play 359th game, & draw level with J Blakey in 11th spot in VFL/AFL history. 432 BHarvey 426 MTuck 403 KBartlett 400 DFletcher 383 RHarvey 378 SMadden 375 CBradley 372 AGoodes 366 BQuinlan 364 BJohnson 359 JBlakey 358 SBurgoyne 356 BDoull, PRoos.
He's chasing Goodes, wants the indigenous games record

This. Lewis needs games now and with Roughead nearing the end of his career and the fact that Lewis is the only key forward on the list outside the best 22 in a position on the ground in which we have zero depth in, so it makes sense to fast track his development. When Roughead goes into the midfield and then Lewis goes to full forward.

Nash has talent but he’s a long way off from being a decent player. I feel like he’s being rushed into the team too soon despite not really dominanting in the VFL last year. He’s gone from a category B rookie, rookie, to senior listed player in just 2 years. I do think in time he will be a good player but he’s no where near best 22.

If Lewis plays it will be at the expense of Ceglar. Can't see that happening tbh

Yes currently on output he is not but he is primed for a big year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Laird is he will have a tough time trying to contain Breust. Then there’s Puopolo who always plays well against Adelaide. For whatever reason the Crows always struggle to contain the Hawks small forwards.

I doubt that they will play Laird on Breust, they will try and free him up. Though Laird is a good shutdown defender too, it's just that he's best at playing like an extra midfielder down there.

Brown or Kelly will play on Breust.

If we had Gunston and Wingard then we'd be making a few of Laird, Seedsman (if fit), Milera and Smith much more accountable.

Am I on my own here in believing the Crows don't really have any area that they scare me in? Their midfield is solid without the superstars (Omera is the best mid on the ground), their defence is solid without any threat that they will stop us from kicking a score, in fact I would hazard a guess that our forwards are far superior to their defenders and their attack is containable especially with Stratts or Dimma keeping Eddie in check.

I genuinely think we will knock them off.

Their backline is elite - it's one of the very best in the comp in terms of both shutting down players and running/rebounding.

Doedee, Brown and Talia can all shutdown players. Laird is underrated in this regard too IMO. Kelly is OK but more of a battler. Smith, Milera, Seedsman, Keath and Hartigan are much more suspect and they'd be the players that we can exploit. But without Wingard and Gunston that will be much harder.

Their midfield bats much deeper than ours, even if we had Mitchell. They have three class established midfielders, and a fourth, that is arguably their most talented, just coming back from injury.

We have one class midfielder at the moment and another good solid one.

The knock on their midfield is that it is pedestrian in pace and only Gibbs is an elite user of the ball.

I think their forward line is somewhat overrated, so I believe we can limit them here. Though they may try to stretch us with height.

This games will be decided in the midfield.

If we can at least break even, then we're in with a real chance.

Our forward line is better than their defensive line and our defensive line is better than their forward line.

We just need the blokes in the middle to give it a red hot crack.

You're right in saying that O'Meara isn't better than the Crouch brothers or Sloane, he's better than them all.

Not combined obviously, but I'd take a fit and firing O'Meara before any of your midfielders.

Don't worry, you'll see soon enough, it's just too bad that Mitchell isn't playing, because these two finely tuned athletic machines would have torn your entire midfield a new clacker.

Both our forwards and defenders will more than take care of their opponents.

We just need to nullify or beat your midfield to give us a decent shot.

Nash & Lewis are not competing for the same spot last time I checked nash is not a c.h.f.
Lewis is more likely competing with roughy and ceglar.

Nash can play multiple roles but has been used as High pressure player since cyril retired, I think he will feature until wingard is ready to come back in the fwd line. He is likely to play a shut down role on one of there half backs

Hanarahan and Moore are both ready to play if Clarko goes down that path.

I think Moore is slightly ahead because of his endurance.

Not convinced Hanrahan is ready for AFL level footy - he could get picked, but doubt he'd have much of an impact.

The AFC is soft to the core, the AO doesn’t bother us and I’m not overly concerned about your side.

I’d take Omera over your best 3 every day of the week, that’s that.

Our midfield has to be equal or there abouts with the crows. Our ability to rebound from half back and set up scoring shots for our forwards will be pivotal to our success against a formidable opponent. A 4 qtr effort required with all hands on deck.
Hawks by 7

Our midfield has to be equal or there abouts with the crows. Our ability to rebound from half back and set up scoring shots for our forwards will be pivotal to our success against a formidable opponent. A 4 qtr effort required with all hands on deck.
Hawks by 7

Our midfield the equal of theirs? Getting closer, but probably not, with who we have fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back