Preview Round 1 2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn, AO,Saturday 23rd of March 4:35 P.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude is underrated. He gets so many of those goals because he plays on taller defenders but generally works his arse off to break away from them.
Jenkins does work arse off, exclusively back towards goals. If he ran that hard both ways I'd agree with you.

Rd1 milestone. Shaun Burgoyne to play 359th game, & draw level with J Blakey in 11th spot in VFL/AFL history. 432 BHarvey 426 MTuck 403 KBartlett 400 DFletcher 383 RHarvey 378 SMadden 375 CBradley 372 AGoodes 366 BQuinlan 364 BJohnson 359 JBlakey 358 SBurgoyne 356 BDoull, PRoos.
Blakey played 358 games for Norf and the COLAs win exclusive access to his signature. What a farce this sport entertainment product has become.

Love this insight from Plough. It’s a big factor

“From a Hawthorn standpoint, I’m very nervous,” he told SEN’s KB and The Doc.
“They’re going to Adelaide to play Adelaide. If you think back to the Crows’ first-ever game in this competition, Hawthorn were the reigning premiers and went over there in Round 1 and got belted by about 85 points.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/18/from-a-hawthorn-standpoint-i'm-very-nervous-wallace/

“They’re going to Adelaide to play Adelaide. If you think back to the Crows’ first-ever game in this competition, Hawthorn were the reigning premiers and went over there in Round 1 and got belted by about 85 points.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/18/from-a-hawthorn-standpoint-i'm-very-nervous-wallace/

That was 92 Plough it's 2019 how more irrevalant can you get?
Obviously it is a tough assignment and it could go pear shaped, That's the only similarities.

Mitchell aside, the rest of our team looks much better than the last two times we played them

In JLT our midfield seemed to be Gelled (offsetting the loss of Mitch to an extent), lasting the distance is the issue, thats were a superior coaching staff come in.

Crows away in R1 and Eagles away in r23 are free hits for us, otherwise 20 round season

You're going to need a new nickname.

As good as Laird is he will have a tough time trying to contain Breust. Then there’s Puopolo who always plays well against Adelaide. For whatever reason the Crows always struggle to contain the Hawks small forwards.

They have at times. Laird was our clubs B & F last year, and was All Australian in 2017 and 18. Breust may get a few goals but Laird's drive out of the back lines is where he is elite.

I doubt that they will play Laird on Breust, they will try and free him up. Though Laird is a good shutdown defender too, it's just that he's best at playing like an extra midfielder down there.

Brown or Kelly will play on Breust.

If we had Gunston and Wingard then we'd be making a few of Laird, Seedsman (if fit), Milera and Smith much more accountable.

Brown's out injured.

I think Adelaide will be fired up after a poor season last year and lots of criticism. Expect them to start the season strongly.

If we can get close to break even in the middle we should win. But getting close is a big question mark given our lack of depth and time for group to really gel. Having cousins and worpel as two out of four inside mids is very light on. Reckon JOM will get a heap of physical pressure.

Our backline will be interesting to watch - the crows talls aren’t really a massive aerial threat and think we match up well. If Sicily and impey can get some rebound going and link up with smith etc we could look good.

Our small forwards have their work cut out limiting the crows run and staying dangerous. Think pop and Breust have been patchy preseason so hopefully they can step it up. Hopefully Gunston plays as he’s very important as a forward and utility.

Anything can happen round 1 and not confident on a win, but hope st least to see some promising signs for the season ahead.

I dont think opposition fans have any clue as to what O'Meara will be capable of this year.

If he stays fit he could challenge the very top

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

O'Meara is a gun, if he can stay fit, no reason he won't be a top 5 player in the League...

Same as Brad Crouch ;)

Joking, Clarko reminded the SEN crew that not only had they got Hawthorn missing the eight last year, they had collingwood and eagles missing too

So they only picked richmond out of the top four

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallace is factually wrong. Adelaide entered the comp in 1991 and indeed did beat Hawthorn easily in their first game. However six months later we went on to take out the flag.
As much as getting beaten on Saturday would be annoying it may well prove an omen for later success if history repeats.

Hows crouch looking in the preseason? Legit question.

Jaeger is looking a bit like Chris Judd.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Played both JLT's plus the under 23 trial vs port. Averaged around 30 in each and played the whole game in all 3. He's needed to get the game time under him because he's missed so much footy. Still has his pace and the endurance seems to be better then we've ever really seen it. Really I don't think you'll find any Crows fan that could be more happy with his preparation.

My guess is him and his brother will combine for 60+ and a goal (which is actually pretty conservative for those 2 if you look over their stats when they play together). Probably a fair few more handballs then kicks, but they will spend 100% of their time in the middle and do the majority of our clearance work.

FYI - this is a foxtel only game for those that it affects
Kayo Sports streaming service (which is basically Foxtel Sports) is currently $5 for the first 2 months for Telstra customers. Normally $25 per month.

We are going to get lots of exhilarating play, but we may struggle to last out games. The coaches may implement a lot of tempo among the excitement, to that end.

With Brown out, they really only have Laird and maybe Kelly as a lockdown small defender. But they'd then lose the influence Laird can have when he doesn't have a role.

So hopefully Breust or Poppy can get off the chain.

Would be interested to see Poppy or Nash (assuming he plays) do a defensive forward role on one of their backline runners like Smith or Milera.

Gunston usually plays well against the Crows but they finally have a solid match up for him in Doedee.

Roughy will get Talia for company and Cegs/Mcevoy will be taken by Hartigan or Keath (depending who plays).

I think we both match up quite well against each other, so it will be that midfield battle that proves crucial. Theirs is very deep whereas ours is quite thin at the moment.

Will be interesting to watch.

Can either see us sneaking over the line or potentially getting comfortably beaten.

Man I wish Chad was making his debut....could've absolutely killed the Crows like he often did :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back