Review Round 1, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My appreciation of McStay's game has been further enhanced

McStay appears to have had some confidence problems in the past. I reckon going out there and acting as a battering ram will do a lot to improve his confidence - he knows he can match the big defenders and get to the ball at the right time without stressing about holding the mark and then converting. Adding marking is one small change which is easier - just do what you did last week then grab it. And he has done a lot on his shots on goal with that British coach. Going to be a GUN.

Unfortunately, he is never going to get a free kick again because of a few early games where he deliberatly got frees. There were a few in last nights game where l think he should have got some.
Speaking of Matho, he has improved quite a bit, must be on his fitness because he seems to be getting to more contests but he is influencing more there. We have got quite a few really good inside clearance players. Might need 1 or 2 more outside players (hoping Cutler can pull his finger out)
As competitive as all getout.

Hughey is becoming a much more confident young Man both On and Off the field and believes he belongs at the level.
I think being Drafed with Berry has helped to bring the best out of him and we will be the benifitiary of that for a long time to come!

Crowd of 20k for the Eagles is pretty good given what we've become accustomed to (even if we account for a little spike for Round 1).

Crowds for Eagles games at the Gabba:
2019 - 20k
2018 - 16k
2016 - 12k
2015 - 16k
2014 - 13k
2013 - 17k
2012 - 15k
2011 - 13k
2010 - 29k
2009 - 26k
2008 - 27k
2006 - 23k
2005 - 33k
2004 - 31k

Geez Gold Coast really did a number on us.

First game at the Gabba each year:
2018 vs Melbourne - 17k
2017 vs Essendon - 21k
2016 vs North - 18k
2015 vs Collingwood - 31k
2014 vs Geelong - 21k
2013 vs Adelaide - 21k
2012 vs Carlton - 26k
2011 vs Fremantle - 23k

EDIT: Sourced from Wikipedia, hope they're accurate!

Last edited:
Surely not.

It's not totally out of the question albeit ambitious. If you look at the circumstances around it.

Last years pies game was on a Sunday at 4:40pm and got 21,840 which is pretty good for the timeslot especially after we were coming into the game with 7 straight losses.

2 years ago we played them on a sat night and drew almost 25K having only won 1 of the first 7 games and with the broncos playing manly the night before.

There's not Broncos game on in town this easter, they're playing away as are the QLD reds so of the football codes we're the only game in town and kicking off the long weekend.

I'd be trying to get 35K there thats for sure, and i'd imagine that a fair chunk of our gameday marketing budget will be going in to promote it. Really the ultimate factor will be how we go up to then. If we can be 2-2 or better coming into the game then it will be a massive boast to the crowd numbers and suddenly that sort of crowd would be within reach.

I think we can definitely get 35K there. I for one know of 5 casual supporters personally who have singled out this game to go to, and if we make a good account of ourselves in the next couple of weeks, heaps of casuals will be there. Last year's home game against them was a great game (even though we lost) too.

Anything above 30K would be amazing.

I reckon you can often tell how big a crowd will turn up for a Saturday night game based on the number of young people (ie late teens and twenties) dressed up to go out afterwards. They seem the ones to represent that group of fans who swing between the codes depending on interest levels. Going to the footy is part of their weekend's entertainment and they won't waste money if they don't think they'll be entertained.

Just walked into a Hardware store and found 4 or 5 of the staff standing around talking about the Lions win on Saturday night!
I joined in the conversation and none of them really knew what they were talking about, but!.....
The boys are creating a ‘buzz’ and fans are coming out of the woodwork.
Good for membership and good for the game in Brisbane!
Got to keep the buzz going with a big win over Norf on the weekend!
Go Lions! 🦁

Up there with the "if it bleeds" win over the Bombers in 2001

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to hear Hugh acknowledge Hodgeys spoil in the press conference. I watched Hodge closely on Sat night. I don't care how slow he is as he is absolutely critical to our defence. If our season goes to plan and we are in finals contention I wouldn't be surprised if he plays every game. I know that's not what has been said publicly but his competiveness won't let him sit out games if we are around the 8.

Disappointed people booing Jack. He got out of here to get away from a ratbag.

I felt happy for Redden to win a Flag with the Eagles & didn't understand why he was booed. On the other hand I will gladly join in the booing of Rockliff. For mine he is a flog & a major reason (hazing) why players wanted to leave the Club.

I don't think I woulda boo'ed Reddo......Yeo otoh is a muppet and deserves it good and hot - I took great joy in my text comments about the HTB frees against him. Made the whole night that much more enjoyable :p

I'd boo Polec on the weekend too - the bloke is another MOTHO (Muppet Of The Highest Order) - burnt us, then burnt Port....poster boy for the anti-Dale Carnegie movement.

I reckon you can often tell how big a crowd will turn up for a Saturday night game based on the number of young people (ie late teens and twenties) dressed up to go out afterwards. They seem the ones to represent that group of fans who swing between the codes depending on interest levels. Going to the footy is part of their weekend's entertainment and they won't waste money if they don't think they'll be entertained.

I see the cross river rail development as a major part in capturing more of this portion of the market. While the gabba area has a few more options, building of the area into a precinct that has a range of pre and post game venues would remove a resistance to going to the gabba. When compared to Suncorp and the caxton st precinct there are a lot less options post game around the gabba and its just that bit further into the city etc. More venues to have post game drinks and then get direct transport into the city would certainly raise our appeal to this sort of demographic

What kind of hazing was he doing?
Wasn't Rockliff captain when they did that nonsense with the spraying the new recruits with water pistols in the change rooms? I recall Rocky's attitude was a bit of a negative hell hole for a few players, Hanley in particular. I'm sure I read somewhere it was a big factor behind Redden leaving the club, he didn't want to get sucked into the downward spiral too.

Back