Review Round 1, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My impression is that Cutler is probably going to be selected when the coaches feel he can really do his share of the defensive and contested stuff consistently. He has always stuck me as quite an outside player but with that goes a very big responsibility in the modern game to run extra hard defensively and get to contests at the right times.

From what I could tell Basti was running extremely hard defensively and rewarded the coaches with his effort. He is in for that effort and Cutler and others on the fringes are going to have to show they can do it to dislodge him.

I haven't watched it again yet but my son has and he said the same ie. Berry was outstanding, you don't appreciate all he does while at the ground, inside beast who spreads at speed.
Thought he was a bit stiff not to get any coaches votes. I'd probably take the skip out for him.

View attachment 641906

Cripps at the same age. Safe to say he won't be going anywhere near those numbers this season.
Would be good to see their comparative clearance numbers at the same age. cripps deinitly looks like he can get more of the ball, l think Berry is probably average between 20-25 disposals whereas Cripps looks like he is averaging 25-30 disposals.

View attachment 641906

Cripps at the same age. Safe to say he won't be going anywhere near those numbers this season.
Not all about numbers though, our midfield this year and into the future will spread the load a bit better than Carlton have over the last few years. Jarrod could also peak later, I'll stick with my prediction.:)

Would be good to see their comparative clearance numbers at the same age. cripps deinitly looks like he can get more of the ball, l think Berry is probably average between 20-25 disposals whereas Cripps looks like he is averaging 25-30 disposals.
Here's a comparison between Cripps in his 2nd year and Berry in his 2nd year.

1553507442899.png

View attachment 641920

Cripps is ahead in most areas but two standout stats in Bezza’s favour are DE% and Metres Gained

So that would strongly point to our man getting less of it but using it much better and making his disposals really count at that point of his career

Cripps is ahead in most areas but two standout stats in Bezza’s favour are DE% and Metres Gained

So that would strongly point to our man getting less of it but using it much better and making his disposals really count at that point of his career
DE% probably isn’t the best indicator of ball use anyway. If anything it just points to Berry bombing the ball deep to a contest more given the higher metres gained stat.

I love Berry and there’s nothing wrong if he doesn’t reach Cripps’ level. He can be a seriously good player regardless.

Spent the last hour of my life looking through the AFL shows tonight to see if there was much commentary about our performance and it was like 'yeah the Lions won' for like 2 mins and 15 minutes of analysis about how Essendon didn't turn up in round 1.

Glad the club has good media because the AFL doesn't.

Gerard Healy gave Hugh big props at the end of On the Couch and then immediately ruined it by saying he had never seen a performance like that from him and implied it was about time. Bizarre.

Hugh was fantastic saturday night but he was nearly as good/as good at least 4 times last year (both hawks games, against the suns and especially against the Kangaroos).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 641920
Looks like Berry is more outside based on this whereas Cripps is more inside. Cripps definitly the better contested/clearance player during their 2nd year, however l reckon Berry will properly break out either this year or next year to be in that elite inside player.

Gerard Healy gave Hugh big props at the end of On the Couch and then immediately ruined it by saying he had never seen a performance like that from him and implied it was about time. Bizarre.

Hugh was fantastic saturday night but he was nearly as good/as good at least 4 times last year (both hawks games, against the suns and especially against the Kangaroos).

These Vic media personalities don't watch our games closely, they usually go off the stats and highlights.

Spent the last hour of my life looking through the AFL shows tonight to see if there was much commentary about our performance and it was like 'yeah the Lions won' for like 2 mins and 15 minutes of analysis about how Essendon didn't turn up in round 1.

Glad the club has good media because the AFL doesn't.
I've watched all four footy programs tonight and thought the same. A lot of great stories about some of the teams that won, including us, and more time than it should has been spent talking about Essendon's loss and a lesser extent North's loss.

I was quite looking forward to the programs tonight and really should've known better. Thank god for the fast forward button.

Fair dinkum footy by the boys. Reminded me of when we went over to Perth and smashed them in 07 in the old Fitzroy jumper.
Make sure youse all get down to the mighty Gabba for the next 2 matches against two of me old foes - Port and the Pies.
And if you're in Melbourne get along to the games against North and the Bombers.

JB

Did anyone get hold of the two-for-one Furphy vouchers they were advertising before the game? I couldn't find them anywhere near the bar where they were supposedly being honoured. Could've really used them at halftime to soothe my throat after that second quarter ;)

Crowd for that game wasn't quite 35k - 31 250 officially which is still easily our best home crowd in a long long time. I wouldn't be shocked if we got 35k for Easter Thursday, as you'd think it leading into the holiday would help boost attendance a fair bit. Could be quite a few pies fans (even more than normal).
Correct I know of a few brizzy supporters going up including myself helps its easter weekend and a few pies supporters aswell 35k sounds a stretch but go close imo

View attachment 641920

Worth noting Cripps was expected to carry a lot more of the midfield load while we've been cautious with Berry and rotated him forward plenty of times throughout last year.

Back