Review Round 1, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth noting Cripps was expected to carry a lot more of the midfield load while we've been cautious with Berry and rotated him forward plenty of times throughout last year.
Also Bez was required to do the run with role in some of the games last year which would have impacted his numbers.
The other big thing bez brings is his contribution to team culture. He sets the standards in training and drives mateship. I assume Cripps does the same as he appears to be a good guy.

That's the difference Berry is not just an inside player but also a decent forward and with a better kick.
Cripps is very, very capable up forward. Really not sure I'd say Bez has a better kick. Cripps just doesn't get the opportunity to go forward and kick a goal very often, as he's been a one man show in the guts for Carlton since he was drafted.

Berry was the stand out for mine. A few times in congestion he was a raging bull and was rarely stopped. McCluggage aswell. Few times they busted through to get the hands free.

I hate when players change numbers. I spent a fair chunk of the first half watching on mute and wondering who #7 was because he's a real game changer. Figured it out eventually. The new haircut didn't help.

Here's a comparison between Cripps in his 2nd year and Berry in his 2nd year.

View attachment 641920
Looks like Berry is more outside based on this whereas Cripps is more inside. Cripps definitly the better contested/clearance player during their 2nd year, however l reckon Berry will properly break out either this year or next year to be in that elite inside player.

It's actually closer than I would've thought. Cripps has basically been playing a lone hand - I wonder what Berry would be capable of if he was in that situation, as opposed to slowly rotating in rather than thrown in the deep end.

Spent the last hour of my life looking through the AFL shows tonight to see if there was much commentary about our performance and it was like 'yeah the Lions won' for like 2 mins and 15 minutes of analysis about how Essendon didn't turn up in round 1.

Glad the club has good media because the AFL doesn't.
Yeah I'm a bit amazed by that, good old unbiased Hird was far more concerned about the KULCHA problem at the Bombers than anything else. Not that I'm expecting them all to constantly gush over us for one victory, but considering the text on Facebook above the link was all about McCarthy and the Lions I would've expected a little bit more than a "oh yeah they won too".

Playing a lone hand in a perennial bottom side means significantly padded statistics and may also hinder Cripps' longevity in the game. I like the way Berry has been managed by Fagan. Slow and steady development and the contested clearance is not reliant on one individual. Shared responsibilities will impact on everyone's stats.
Carlton is trying to inject others to share the load but are lacking mature bodies to assist and are mostly reliant on young developing mids such as Fisher, Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy. The only mature player of any note is Ed Curnow. Cripps will have to shoulder the load this season as well. It's going to be tough on his body to endure so greater demand. Berry is not required to carry as greater responsibility. I like it that way for the betterment of his career and our club.

Three Lions made the AFL Team of the Week:

CHB - It was a quiet opening term for Harris Andrews but West Coast had no answer for him after that.

FP - Having Charlie Cameron back from a serious foot injury was pivotal for the Lions – he helped turn the game against West Coast in the second quarter, was always dangerous and booted a goal few others would have been capable of.

INT - Every time Hugh McCluggage touched the footy, good things happened for the Lions.

Seems quite often that whenever McInerny goes into the ruck that we seem to do a lot better. Why not just start with McInerny and let him do most of the game and then replace Martin with a running player. McInerny isn't a particularly good forward either, doesn't get many goals. Defensively he is good if the ball is near him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done gave us a flogging, doubt many teams will beat your boys up at the Gabba. I think you can make finals and hope you do the league needs the lions back in the finals and kicks another Victorian team out. Best of luck for the year who knows we may see you in the finals

Hoping it's the Pies we kick out of the finals. Pies miss the finals and we get a top 10 pick:moustache:

Seems quite often that whenever McInerny goes into the ruck that we seem to do a lot better. Why not just start with McInerny and let him do most of the game and then replace Martin with a running player. McInerny isn't a particularly good forward either, doesn't get many goals. Defensively he is good if the ball is near him.
I would do that in a heartbeat. Big O is a great natural ruck. I doubt this has gone unnoticed. Our small forwards are first rate and
our talls whilst playing roles are not in the same class. Talls are just so overrated In this game

I would do that in a heartbeat. Big O is a great natural ruck. I doubt this has gone unnoticed. Our small forwards are first rate and
our talls whilst playing roles are not in the same class. Talls are just so overrated In this game

I think he wins more ruck contests than Stef but also loses more. Stef does a great job nullifying the ruck contests even against the super tall ones like Gawn. He also uses his body well and draws a heap of frees against the weaker rucks. I think he had 9 frees in a game last season which gave us a huge advantage.

O is clearly the better centre bounce ruck though but that's also where Stef's follow up work is more valuable.

Back