Preview Round 1 2019, Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday March 22nd 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As they were reading through the team selections and our four debutants, Gerard said something along the lines of "there's big change at Geelong this off-season, and the club has been keeping it all under wraps. From their personnel to the way they want to play, everyone at the club was stung after the EF loss to Melbourne and realised they had to evolve and evolve quickly... It will be a significantly different Geelong team tomorrow night to the one we saw lose that final to Melbourne..."
What the Cats have needed for the past few seasons is an awakening coz it was clear that complacency has set in so I can only hope that this is true and that it isn't just more BS for memberships!

Some interesting comments from Gerard Whateley, who would have extremely good sources at the club (including the coach each week on AFL360) on SEN yesterday evening.

As they were reading through the team selections and our four debutants, Gerard said something along the lines of "there's big change at Geelong this off-season, and the club has been keeping it all under wraps. From their personnel to the way they want to play, everyone at the club was stung after the EF loss to Melbourne and realised they had to evolve and evolve quickly... It will be a significantly different Geelong team tomorrow night to the one we saw lose that final to Melbourne..."

Looking forward to how it all unfolds. Pies deserve to be favourites by virtue of finishing 2nd last year, however, I believe there is always extra hype with them. I don't think there is much of a gap between either side.

I'll be most interested as to how we go on the MCG. Teams with good spread have been able to exploit every square metre of turf against us in recent years.

Some interesting comments from Gerard Whateley, who would have extremely good sources at the club (including the coach each week on AFL360) on SEN yesterday evening.

It would want to be. We were uncompetitive that night.

Well,it had better be a ‘significantly different team’ from the Dees game. Otherwise I will be having a long night in the Ponsford!
And whilst hoping Whately is correct, am a little wary of claims like this though.

Gerard Whately is biased to the point of unprofessionalism when it comes to Scott. Scott uses him very successfully as a shield to any criticism.

I really don’t see how the Melbourne loss was any different to the Swans and Crows from prior years as a stinging mechanism.

Anyhow, new season, let’s give them a chance.

What the Cats have needed for the past few seasons is an awakening coz it was clear that complacency has set in so I can only hope that this is true and that it isn't just more BS for memberships!
Seeing as they have deliberately kept it quiet, it doesn't seem likely that it's a ploy for more members.
But as you say, we can only hope...

I really don’t see how the Melbourne loss was any different to the Swans and Crows from prior years as a stinging mechanism.

The Crows loss was disappointing but not surprising and came off the back of a great underdog win v Sydney the week prior.

The Swans prelim loss was unforgivable.

They say that after every finals loss.

Gerard Whately is biased to the point of unprofessionalism when it comes to Scott. Scott uses him very successfully as a shield to any criticism.

Anyhow, new season, let’s give them a chance.
Particularly given the team was in a better place and had a better list in 2016 and 2017. I'd say it's a little too late for major changes to gameplan in the hope of being successful. Delayed reaction, if you will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as they have deliberately kept it quiet, it doesn't seem likely that it's a ploy for more members.
But as you say, we can only hope...
I hope youre right.... but Scott has proven how stubborn he is, too many times for some not to be wary

Last edited:
Looking forward to how it all unfolds. Pies deserve to be favourites by virtue of finishing 2nd last year, however, I believe there is always extra hype with them. I don't think there is much of a gap between either side
The last two seasons the grand final runner-up has lost the first round. Will it be 3 years running?

You think Richmond will miss the GF?
I think the next month will be telling
Collingwood @ MCG
Giants @ Showgrounds
Port @ Adelaide
Swans @ Marvel

At half time of last night's match the expectation would have been 3-1 or even 4-0.

Losing Rance will impact their structure and drive from the backline. I know they have other tall defender options, but do they have someone who reads the play like Rance, where they back themselves to drop off their player & come 3rd man in. Rance has been susceptible when stuck 1-on-1 & playing on the best forward, but he is good at playing more as a loose defender.

It will be interesting to see how they structure without him

My predictions for the game are:

Crowd: 74,280
First goal: Elliot
Most disposals: Sidebottom (36)
Most goals: Ablett (4)
Best on ground: Sidebottom

Final score:
Collingwood 15.11. 101
def
Geelong 11.11. 77

I know it's been like 6 months since we last had a genuine match, but don't we normally go from preview threads to match day threads at some stage during the day of the match?

My predictions for the game are:

Crowd: 74,280
First goal: Elliot
Most disposals: Sidebottom (36)
Most goals: Ablett (4)
Best on ground: Sidebottom

Final score:
Collingwood 15.11. 101
def
Geelong 11.11. 77

Considering the public transport situation, the AFL would be wrapped with close to 75,000 attending. Wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 55,000.

For those brave people attending by train - enjoy the bus ride home.

Except coached by the same bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back