Not open for further replies.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
With respect Max watch the first game v Tigers last season
Tigers isolated Zuthries and his opponent at HFF and played through them for 3-4 entries in a short space of time - Zuthrie battled hard but lost each one on one. Great coaching by Hardwick.
I am a wrap for Zuthrie as he kid can play but he does need work on his core strength - which will come with another few preseasons
Fair enough. But that was a year ago.
Why are we assuming he hasn't built strength in 12 months?
He looked ok in the JLT game.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Just go back and watch any game he has played. Mackie was leaps and bounds ahead of Zuth in terms of smarts. 3 inches taller and longer limbed too. He was smart enough to not need to be big. I don't have the same thoughts on Zac, cause he is still way smaller than even Mackie was and doesn't have the smarts. It's not a massive issue, it won't be the end of him if he doesn't get bigger and stronger, but he needs some more beef to be a more effective player.

In a one on one vs Roughhead i know i'd rather have mackie defending than Zuth. Might not be strong enough to engage in wrestling but mack was 6 ft 4 and had long arms to get a spoil.

In all fairness to Zuth I don't recall much of Mackies early years, just the middle to late years of his career where he was a very experienced player that Zuth hasn't had the chance to be yet.
Zuthrie on Roughead?
If that's the matchup he'll have to do more than put on a couple of k's.
I don't see him as wrestling player.
He did well last week.
We'll see how he goes if gets a chance this year.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
That would be an unbelievable return.

If we get 20 goals out of Ablett it's a pass. He's not the same player, and much older than when his father moved to forward full time.

Geez, and here's me thinking he'll kick 50-70 if cemented in the forward line.

I'd be upset if he doesn't kick 20 by Easter Monday.

cynical

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
It's overblown, like many things that get repeated over and over.
It's the same thing was said of Mackie for years and years.
Show me the instances where he has been "continually pushed off the ball".
There must be plenty to choose from?

Mackie was an elite kick as well as being taller.

Zuthrie can read the play thats about it.

An undersized guy like Zuthrie is going to get exploited 1 on 1, he needs to get bigger and/or be elite at other things to make up for it.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Mackie was an elite kick as well as being taller.

Zuthrie can read the play thats about it.

An undersized guy like Zuthrie is going to get exploited 1 on 1, he needs to get bigger and/or be elite at other things to make up for it.
I wasn't meaning to compare Mackie and Zuthrie for any other purpose than both have been constantly described as under-developed body wise.
I'm also not suggesting Zuthrie is ready to go, and I agree he must show some more tricks.
But he has been portrayed on this board (by some) as a pre-puberty, 97-pound weakling.
He played well in the JLT without setting the world on fire, so let's see.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
We don't have one competent ruck, and the Premiership team showed the way last year in taking 2 rucks in.

Taking a Stanley, who is injury prone, or a Smith (out of favor), Fort (untested) or Abbott (relatively untested) on their own into a match with just Sav as back up is suicide.

Abbott can mark and kick goals. Stanley isn't completely useless forward. I would be taking both into matches, especially round 1 V Grundy where we need two guys to wear him into the ground, would be the better strategy.
If we had a Gawn or a NicNat or a Grundy you could take one in. We don't have that.

Yep. The days of two ruckman have returned. Melbourne are onto it now too, hence the recruitment of Preuss to play alongside Gawn. Stanley and Abbott as a duo will be competitive. Maybe Fort if he produces good form in the VFL. I actually think Fort was recruited to play as the second ruck behind Stanley, and at worst he allows good depth and competition in the ruck division.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Geez, and here's me thinking he'll kick 50-70 if cemented in the forward line.

I'd be upset if he doesn't kick 20 by Easter Monday.

If he plays most of the year and only kicks 20 I will streak down Geelong's main street whatever that is with Gary's finished painted on my chest!!! No need to sell any of my clothes let's put it that way!!

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190315-181527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-181527_Chrome.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Me too. My first thoughts were he had broken something.

A fractured finger can cost you 2-4 weeks really frustrating injury to get this time of year. Hopefully it's just dislocated and they can splint it up and get him out there. For a young player either way it's frustrating though poor lad has not had a lot of luck player really well last week as well

We don't have one competent ruck, and the Premiership team showed the way last year in taking 2 rucks in.

Taking a Stanley, who is injury prone, or a Smith (out of favor), Fort (untested) or Abbott (relatively untested) on their own into a match with just Sav as back up is suicide.

Abbott can mark and kick goals. Stanley isn't completely useless forward. I would be taking both into matches, especially round 1 V Grundy where we need two guys to wear him into the ground, would be the better strategy.
If we had a Gawn or a NicNat or a Grundy you could take one in. We don't have that.

If your definition of competent ruck is that they're significantly better than average then there's not many to go around. If smith recaptures his old form and Stanley stays fit then as a pair I think they're good. That's what we were doing not long ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
My guess

B: Jordan Clark - Mark Blicavs - Jack Henry
HB: Tom Stewart - Jake Kolodjashnij - Mark O'Connor
C: Cam Guthrie - Joel Selwood - Mitch Duncan
HF: Brandon Parfitt - Esava Ratagolea - Gary Rohan
F: Gary Ablett - Tom Hawkins - Luke Dahlhaus
R: Rhys Stanley - Patrick Dangerfield - Tim Kelly
I: Zach Guthrie - Harry Taylor - Sam Menegola - Tom Atkins

Personally I wouldn't pick Cam Guthrie, Taylor or Rohan, but I think they'll all play.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they'll force all of JK, Blitz, Taylor, Hendo and Henry into our backline, although it wouldn't surprise.
No Constable? Not likely ... but it’s a good team you’ve named

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'd pick him, but just think they'll lean towards Zach Guthrie.
This talk of blokes like Scooter and Zuthrie getting starts is concerning. Tried and unproven, yet we have kids like Constable and Atkins waiting in the wings. Lets hope its only talk... otherwise, not much has changed

This talk of blokes like Scooter and Zuthrie getting starts is concerning. Tried and unproven, yet we have kids like Constable and Atkins waiting in the wings. Lets hope its only talk... otherwise, not much has changed
Scott still thinks he owes the Guthrie's something for getting Blicavs to the club.

Thats dissapointing if true. He’s done nothing to warrant an immediate walk up. Constable would be ahead of him imo.
Since I heard that on 360, there has been nothing to suggest it's true.
I very much doubt he will play.

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Since I heard that on 360, there has been nothing to suggest it's true.
I very much doubt he will play.
While I want everyone available.... Constable has to be a certain starter. Quite frankly, I dont see room for both he and Atkins and Scooter.
Lets blood them kids.....they are beauties

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No Bews or Tuohy. One of O’Connor or Zuthrie is playing next Friday. That’s hardly controversial to say too
Get involved Doc.. if youre responding to the couple of posts above then respond directly.
If you are, then its OConnor for me..... obvious choice for mind. I can see him getting a close checking role on DeGooey. A shutdown role

Get involved Doc.. if youre responding to the couple of posts above then respond directly.
If you are, then its OConnor for me..... obvious choice for mind
I don’t care which one tbh.
Zac cops slack for sharing the same surname as his maligned brother but he has the ability to make it at this level.

Has great positioning and ball reading skills. Just needs some muscle

While I want everyone available.... Constable has to be a certain starter. Quite frankly, I dont see room for both he and Atkins and Scooter.
Lets blood them kids.....they are beauties
Clark is a near certainty listening to CS on GW podcast.
Atkins looks feisty, a CS type player.
Constable I have not seen, but trust your judgement there.
I didn't get to see the Ess game unfortunately.

Mr Blicavs

Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I don’t care which one tbh.
Zac cops slack for sharing the same surname as his maligned brother but he has the ability to make it at this level.

Has great positioning and ball reading skills. Just needs some muscle
Not from me... he cops it because of his size. Its that black and white for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back