Preview Round 1, 2019: Collingwood vs Geelong - Pregame discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea about Geelong, who they’ve traded out, who in, etc. Are they a stronger or weaker side this year?

I feel we are stronger, mainly because of Moore and Roughead up back. Guess we’ll find out Friday.

Carn Pies.

Geelong traded for speed in their forward line bringing in Dalhaus and Rohan. This was to address a weakness with forward line pressure which allowed the opposition to dictate the game from half back against them last year. They will also likely shift Ablett permanent forward. They lost Menzel who is the anti pressure forward.

Notable absentees for them will be Tuohy, Bews and Scott Selwood which means their small defensive options in defence and the midfield have taken a big hit. This should play into our hands because of our strong group of small and medium forwards which we'd hope to exploit.

One thing we want to avoid is bombing the ball long. Geelong have some really good intercept defenders and it will play into their hands. We need to be pretty considered moving the ball forward and look for shorter angled kicks - unless there is an obvious quick break where the long kick will catch out an out of position defence.

I'm really looking forward to the game :thumbsu:

My hopeful lineup:

B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Dayne Beams - Tom Phillips
HF: Josh Thomas - Brody Mihocek - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey - Mason Cox - Jamie Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
I: Travis Varcoe - James Aish - Levi Greenwood - Chris Mayne

E: Tyson Goldsack - Callum Brown - Brayden Sier - Flynn Appleby

We have plenty of time to move Sier into the seniors. He's obviously a grouse talent but he's not a superstar. When you're picking your 7th or 8th midfield rotation, it makes more sense to pick on needs as opposed to potential - Mayne and Greenwood provide the much needed defensive pressure that we'll need against a strong-attacking Geelong midfield, and their additional versatility is the cream on top. Mayne has shown to be a very capable sweeper down back in finding uncontested ball and moving it out of defensive 50 smoothly and as last season progressed, he became a more creative option going forward too. With 6-6-6 in force, Greenwood probably spends more time at half-back and inside defensive 50 and I don't think that's a bad thing, as I reckon he'll prove a good match-up for Ablett, allowing Maynard to absolutely blanket Rohan.

Geelong traded for speed in their forward line bringing in Dalhaus and Rohan. This was to address a weakness with forward line pressure which allowed the opposition to dictate the game from half back against them last year. They will also likely shift Ablett permanent forward. They lost Menzel who is the anti pressure forward.

Notable absentees for them will be Tuohy, Bews and Scott Selwood which means their small defensive options in defence and the midfield have taken a big hit. This should play into our hands because of our strong group of small and medium forwards which we'd hope to exploit.

One thing we want to avoid is bombing the ball long. Geelong have some really good intercept defenders and it will play into their hands. We need to be pretty considered moving the ball forward and look for shorter angled kicks - unless there is an obvious quick break where the long kick will catch out an out of position defence.

I'm really looking forward to the game :thumbsu:

I’m fence sitting on my expectations for tomorrow night because of their ability to intercept!

On the relative strength of the two 22’s and the number of club debutants each team has I think we have the edge. The problem I have is that without Adams and Sier our only inside mid is Beamer. The likes of Pendles, Treloar and Steele can go inside and Grundy can win his share of inside ball, but against Selwood and Dangerfield it’s not an ideal setup.

The flow on effect of potentially getting beaten on the inside can be an inability to get your transition game going which leads to more long bombing into the F50 because your more stagnant. I hope we’re all prepared for a dour arm wrestle.

FWIW I would normally suggest that JDG should go through there, but on the back of the pre-season he’s had I’d really like him eased into it.

Buckley revealed Sier had failed to finish the scratch match against Melbourne due to a problem he described as "a bit neural, calf and hammy – it wasn't an injury as such".

Sier then missed the opening JLT Community Series game against Fremantle in Perth, which "pushed him down the rung a bit" for an inside midfielder role.
"He's training well enough and he's got to put some form together to really stake his claim," Buckley said

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/pies-to-load-forward-line-with-speed-skill-and-power

So Sier had some neural, calf and hammy issue. Mystery solved?

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buckley revealed Sier had failed to finish the scratch match against Melbourne due to a problem he described as "a bit neural, calf and hammy – it wasn't an injury as such".

Sier then missed the opening JLT Community Series game against Fremantle in Perth, which "pushed him down the rung a bit" for an inside midfielder role.
"He's training well enough and he's got to put some form together to really stake his claim," Buckley said

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-20/pies-to-load-forward-line-with-speed-skill-and-power

So Sier had some neural, calf and hammy issue. Mystery solved?

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do they feed us this s**t?

Why do they feed us this s**t?

Could actually be 100% accurate. Problem being we as mug punters have NFI what it means.

Could actually be 100% accurate. Problem being we as mug punters have NFI what it means.

It could. It’s also contradictory to Pendles comments last week, the report of “no injuries” following that practice match and he was never taken out of full training. There’s bullshit there 100%, but identifying what it is exactly is the real problem. Time to move on, IMO.

The way we gain information from interviews of players, club people, is usually smoke and mirrors behind the shadows. Clubs seem to love the Cloke and dagger stuff in in this day and age.

I’m fence sitting on my expectations for tomorrow night because of their ability to intercept!

On the relative strength of the two 22’s and the number of club debutants each team has I think we have the edge. The problem I have is that without Adams and Sier our only inside mid is Beamer. The likes of Pendles, Treloar and Steele can go inside and Grundy can win his share of inside ball, but against Selwood and Dangerfield it’s not an ideal setup.

The flow on effect of potentially getting beaten on the inside can be an inability to get your transition game going which leads to more long bombing into the F50 because your more stagnant. I hope we’re all prepared for a dour arm wrestle.

FWIW I would normally suggest that JDG should go through there, but on the back of the pre-season he’s had I’d really like him eased into it.

I'm not sure if I agree with that rationale. Most good transition tends to come from intercepts and not clearances, which I suspect is one of the big reasons for the AFL introducing the 6-6-6 rule. Entrances from clearances are often blind bombs rife for interception. At times last year, losing the clearance and then intercepting seemed to be Richmond's game plan.

I'm not sure if I agree with that rationale. Most good transition tends to come from intercepts and not clearances, which I suspect is one of the big reasons for the AFL introducing the 6-6-6 rule. Entrances from clearances are often blind bombs rife for interception. At times last year, losing the clearance and then intercepting seemed to be Richmond's game plan.

It’s very difficult to run a comparison because the league don’t hold statistics on team intercept possessions, but the 22 that took the field on GF day in 2018 averaged 70.9 intercept possessions and the league average for clearances in 2018 was 73.2 per match. The numbers on how the ball is won though are effectively even which shows in our ball movement. We flick it around at contests to get going and chip a lot off the back half.

Scoring from clearances is reduced because of the bombing so if your getting bossed at the clearances it makes it even more difficult to score and transition against a strong intercepting group. Because a) it blunts your effectiveness at the stoppage and b) provides the opposition more opportunities to intercept. Scoring from intercept possessions off the back half, where the bulk are made, is very limited according to CD. It’s why Essendon won’t be it and a bit in 2019. The golden intercept for transition is in the forward half and midfield where Richmond were much stronger than us with all their regular forwards winning more than ours.

The reason for 6-6-6 was to increase space allowing for more 1 v 1 contests. The effect is minimal with clubs that want players behind the ball running a winger off the defensive point of the square. The rhetoric around it being gamechanging has been bizarre.

Last edited:
The reason for 6-6-6 was to increase space allowing for more 1 v 1 contests. The effect is minimal with clubs that want players behind the ball running a winger off the defensive point of the square. The rhetoric around it being gamechanging has been bizarre.

I actually think it was to create space around the centre bounce contest to get more surging breaks after the centre bounce. The powers that be are reminiscing about Chris Judd in his WCE pre OP years. There is going to be more players than ever starting inside forward 50, I don't understand all the talk of it resulting in more one on one contests inside forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear via the Marcellin network he might be enjoying himself a bit too much off the track. I hope he doesn’t do a “Murray”.
Im not sure I like idle gossip as such.
I’ve always wondered how players feel about these things.

Fortunately nobody ever puts mayo on their stories.

tumblr_p0sez4Evpd1wpp3nyo1_500.gif

I hear via the Marcellin network he might be enjoying himself a bit too much off the track. I hope he doesn’t do a “Murray”.

I have heard a similar story and that he has been told he needs to win his spot back in the team. Believe or not but this is what i have been told.

Good idea Saintly.

If my incessant posting of pictures of polar bears with captions of adoration had awakened Sier's thirst for Bundy, I would also try to ignore the gossip.

Good idea Saintly.

If my incessant posting of pictures of polar bears with captions of adoration had awakened Sier's thirst for Bundy, I would also try to ignore the gossip.
And I’ll love the Bear some more.

Is Bear is good.

I have heard a similar story and that he has been told he needs to win his spot back in the team. Believe or not but this is what i have been told.
I haven't heard any stories but this is how it reads to me. Looks like he might simply be getting a kick up the backside. It's a bit annoying given that we need him to cover for Adams as mentioned above.

I expect him to win his spot back in the next few weeks. I was hoping for a 2019 season from the Bear with a better tank, so he could continue on with his great form from late 2018 but without the very low TOG. Here's hoping we'll see that soon enough!

Nooooooooooooooo!
Sorry

I pure forgot.

I’m so bad, just deserve to be mercilessly flogged with a cat o nine tails.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back