Preview Round 1, 2019: Collingwood vs Geelong - Pregame discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2018 WHE, JT, and Stephenson each averaged around 80% gametime.

If Elliott can manage that, then of course he plays.

But if he can only manage (eg) 50%, then that needs to be covered for - which is probably more difficult earlier in the season when all players are trying to build match fitness.

Selection committee do have a record of not picking players who don’t have the fitness to get through a match.

What’s the point of having a weapon who kicks 2-3 goals, when he spends the last quarter hobbling around and letting his opponent run off him with wonton abandon?

If he’s left out what opportunity does he get to build that fitness base up? A VFL practice match? As Apex pointed out 60-70 minutes out of Elliott is twice the value of 80-90 from Brown or Crocker.

I would also be equally concerned if the rest of the group can’t absorb an extra 10-15 minutes playing time when they regularly absorbed in game injuries throughout 2018. If he gets through training he plays for mine.

The approach you’ve suggested is one I’d be more inclined to take with JDG and Howe because they’ve much less conditioning over the past 6 weeks.

Geelong have beaten us on the last 2 occasions.

Underestimate them at your peril.
Wasn’t last time the game Pendlebury was a late out? And Moore + someone else went down before half time?

I remember being pissed because we were clearly a better side and looked as though we were still going to win that game.

Geelong who seem to go out of their way in pre season games to wear silly attire deserve to lose for that alone.

T-shirt jumpers, silly silly silly gear for footy.

If he’s left out what opportunity does he get to build that fitness base up? A VFL practice match?

His problem is cramping. That’s fixed by diet + running + interval training.

As Apex pointed out 60-70 minutes out of Elliott is twice the value of 80-90 from Brown or Crocker.

Again, selection committee have a history of not selecting players who don’t have the fitness to get through a match. Wells, Kirby, BenKen are a few that come to mind.

And inb4 folks say “Elliott >> Wells, Kirby, BenKen” ... Elliott hasn’t played a game of senior footy in eighteen months and only 17 games in three and a half years.

Add to that the increased risk of injury when cramping.

I would also be equally concerned if the rest of the group can’t absorb an extra 10-15 minutes playing time ...

Sure, of course they can, but how does that stack up against our opponent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our likely round 1 22:

B: Langdon - Roughead - Maynard
HB: Crisp - Moore - Howe

C: Sidebottom - Treloar - Phillips
Fol: Grundy - Pendles - Beams

HF: Thomas - Mihocek - Stephenson
FF: De Goey - Cox - Elliott

Int: Varcoe, Aish, Mayne, Greenwood

Possible Geelong 22 (happy to be corrected on this one)

B: C Guthrie - Henry - Stewart
HB: Clark - Taylor - Blicavs

C: Duncan - Dangerfield - Parfitt
Fol: Stanley - J Selwood - Kelly

HF: Ablett - Ratugolea - Atkins
FF: Rohan - Hawkins - Dalhaus

Int: Narkle, Z Guthrie, S Selwood, Constable
are Henderson, Touhy and Smith all injured?
Duncan usually has a day out vs us so hopefully we can keep him in check. Ratugolea was a problem last year for memory, think Moore will have his hands full there.

His problem is cramping. That’s fixed by diet + running + interval training.

Again, selection committee have a history of not selecting players who don’t have the fitness to get through a match. Wells, Kirby, BenKen are a few that come to mind.

And inb4 folks say “Elliott >> Wells, Kirby, BenKen” ... Elliott hasn’t played a game of senior footy in eighteen months and only 17 games in three and a half years.

Add to that the increased risk of injury when cramping.

Sure, of course they can, but how does that stack up against our opponent?

I meant more in terms of increasing his ability to run out a game because the only way cramping can seriously be tested is in game. Does he not play at all further setting him back? Or does he play a VFL practice match that tells us nothing?

Ben Ken and Kirby are extremely different cases. On one hand you have guys that were borderline AFL talents and the other you have an elite talent that can do more underdone than 90% of the guys in the league for that role let alone Collingwood. The most recent cases of guys with questionable fitness were Howe and Treloar ahead of finals last year.

I’m also skeptical of cramping leading to an increased risk of muscle tear I have no doubt someone can point out otherwise, but I believe the reality is more that cramp is often used as a cover for a tear. I’ve never seen nor heard of any sportspersons cramps resulting in tears so I’d rather not take that path with the discussion.

What it means v Geelong is the $64k question. For mine the question will be can we manage him through circa 60% match time for the first month of the season. If the answers yes and he gets through training he’ll be in. What I can’t figure out though is whether you want him overlooked or if you’re playing devils advocate? I can understand the latter, but the former at this point in time doesn’t stack up, IMO.

are Henderson, Touhy and Smith all injured?
Duncan usually has a day out vs us so hopefully we can keep him in check. Ratugolea was a problem last year for memory, think Moore will have his hands full there.

Touhy is injured. Smith and Henderson are available I think.

Side note - I hate all these prime time games, unfortunately due to my work I can't usually get to Friday and Saturday night games so our recent success is bittersweet as I'll miss most games this year. Had the best year last year, was able to go to most games, even interstate and we won most of them too. I also hate the Friday night spotlight, we're going to be under the microscope all year just like 2011. One slip up and it will be on the front and back page of every paper in the country.

I'm heading to the G for the opening round - cant wait.

On paper our team I think has the edge over Geelong. Midfield battle will be awesome but just think we have to much outside run and with Moore back in at CHB I am feeling more confident than in past seasons going into round 1.

Go PIES!

I'm heading to the G for the opening round - cant wait.

On paper our team I think has the edge over Geelong. Midfield battle will be awesome but just think we have to much outside run and with Moore back in at CHB I am feeling more confident than in past seasons going into round 1.

Go PIES!
It’s a bit early, you have ten days, but can’t fault your enthusiasm

:)

Last edited:
I’m also skeptical of cramping leading to an increased risk of muscle tear I have no doubt someone can point out otherwise, but I believe the reality is more that cramp is often used as a cover for a tear. I’ve never seen nor heard of any sportspersons cramps resulting in tears so I’d rather not take that path with the discussion.
Muscles usually tighten right up after a severe cramp, contributing to being more prone to tears for the next few days. Having said that, it's a 12 day break post cramp (if that's what even happened) if he isn't injured, he plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back