Preview Round 1, 2019: Collingwood vs Geelong - Pregame discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
13B0B3CC-B77B-4572-9ABD-2EDE935D4134.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Most intriguing thing will be whether Greenwood plays for me, not in the best form but Has done a good job on Selwood in the past. Is tagging dead at the center bounce
And I think We’re forgetting Maynard can also share some tagging load if need be.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I hope Selwood starts on the wing like they've been trialling in the JLT and have been hinting at since. Imagine him trying to go with Phillips and Sidebottom for an extended amount of time. Or Stephenson for that matter.

It's an odd one. Geelong don't have that much inside depth they can afford to take their best on-baller off the ball. I don't reckon it'll happen.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's an odd one. Geelong don't have that much inside depth they can afford to take their best on-baller off the ball. I don't reckon it'll happen.
Yeah, I agree somewhat. They have Duncan who is a good player but with Ablett all but promised to play predominantly forward, I'm not sure they have much else other than Dangerfield or Kelly.

Kelly actually turned it on against us last year from memory. We didn't appear to respect him nearly as much as we should have.

Players like Guthrie, Rohan and Dalhaus won't exactly put the fear of god into anyone.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Anyone else feel like we can either go undefeated all season or also miss the 8?

It’s a weird feeling.

Not the upper limit for me. I personally think we’re overhyped along with Essendon. I hope to be proven wrong, but I think we fit somewhere in the 4-10 bracket sitting a few games off the pace of Richmond, West Coast and Adelaide.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone else feel like we can either go undefeated all season or also miss the 8?

It’s a weird feeling.

Mick Malthouse is confident Carlton will be successful in 2015, saying hard to see team lose

Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
March 20, 2015 1:19pm
MICK Malthouse has claimed he is struggling to find a game Carlton loses this year.

In an overwhelmingly positive address...………..Malthoouse said...…..“I shouldn’t say this in front of the cameras, but it’s very, very difficult to see where we’re going to lose a game,” Malthouse said to much applause

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not the upper limit for me. I personally think we’re overhyped along with Essendon. I hope to be proven wrong, but I think we fit somewhere in the 4-10 bracket sitting a few games off the pace of Richmond, West Coast and Adelaide.

I don’t see us overhyped. We just have a much tougher draw, which makes it difficult to see where we will get our “probable wins”.

If our midfield plays to it’s full potential, I see no team beating us.

The 6-6-6 rule should help us. A lot. More than any other team, if you ask me.

Our forward line is dynamic.
Our backline line is solid.

Weirdly, I think our midfield is our biggest strength and biggest weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mick Malthouse is confident Carlton will be successful in 2015, saying hard to see team lose

Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
March 20, 2015 1:19pm
MICK Malthouse has claimed he is struggling to find a game Carlton loses this year.

In an overwhelmingly positive address...………..Malthoouse said...…..“I shouldn’t say this in front of the cameras, but it’s very, very difficult to see where we’re going to lose a game,” Malthouse said to much applause

Hahahah, I know I sound a bit like crazy Mick. Our midfield just bats so deep. The 6-6-6 should help Collingwood more than any team.

Our 2nd best Center square combination should rival teams best.

Most importantly our best 22 has either vastly experienced players or young & exciting players who’s potential has still not been realised.

Like I’ve previously mentioned, our midfield is our biggest strength and biggest weakness.

We really need Adams or Sier for that grunt through the midfield.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If we lose this.. I swear man.. I will make a bid for a 2002 limited edition Grey Nichols Matthew Hayden cricket bat like I give a f so I can brag about it to me mates.. to see if they actually give a f as well re..

I have f had it man.. that's it for me. Can't do this s**t no more.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I don’t see us overhyped. We just have a much tougher draw, which makes it difficult to see where we will get our “probable wins”.

If our midfield plays to it’s full potential, I see no team beating us.

The 6-6-6 rule should help us. A lot. More than any other team, if you ask me.

Our forward line is dynamic.
Our backline line is solid.

Weirdly, I think our midfield is our biggest strength and biggest weakness.

You just touched on the possibility of going through undefeated and don’t think we’re overhyped? The general consensus seems to be that along with Richmond, Melbourne and West Coast we’re good things to be top 4 which I think is OTT with our tougher draw.

A lot of your justification unfortunately doesn’t stack up to me especially given our most dynamic and important player has had a poor pre-season with hamstring and foot injuries and our best on-field leader is likely to miss the three most important games of our season. That’d be fine if our most promising inside mid wasn’t weirdly MIA.

Yes we’re in a good spot, but our top 4 chances hinge on our first month and could be done by Easter if we aren’t on it from the first bounce of the season. Right now I can’t get a good read on us...

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If we lose this.. I swear man.. I will knock on Wally and Edna's door and ask if I can borrow their Woman's Day special edition birthday cake cook book.. and then wait a week for em to hastle me to return it.. and I'll just tell em.. 'oooops oh sorry re.. I used it to lay on the floor as part of my preparation for painting my home didn't think you actually found it useful considering you've never actually used it.. and then have them hassle me for a reimbursement for the next yr cause they wanna be a pain in the proverbial..

I f had it man.. that's it for me.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You just touched on the possibility of going through undefeated and don’t think we’re overhyped? The general consensus seems to be that along with Richmond, Melbourne and West Coast we’re good things to be top 4 which I think is OTT with our tougher draw.

A lot of your justification unfortunately doesn’t stack up to me especially given our most dynamic and important player has had a poor pre-season with hamstring and foot injuries and our best on-field leader is likely to miss the three most important games of our season. That’d be fine if our most promising inside mid wasn’t weirdly MIA.

Yes we’re in a good spot, but our top 4 chances hinge on our first month and could be done by Easter if we aren’t on it from the first bounce of the season. Right now I can’t get a good read on us...

It’s my personal view that we could win every game. I’m not really reading into the media too much. As far as I can tell most media member people have us not winning the premiership and only some have us making top 4.

I do agree we are touch-and-go in the injury front, but I tend not to be pessimistic. I agree that Darcy is our most important player. I agree that our first 5 games are massive. We wouldn’t want to be any worse than 3-2 imo.

Apart from injuries, the only way we lose is if we are poor in the midfield. That’s just my opinion

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
It’s my personal view that we could win every game. I’m not really reading into the media too much. As far as I can tell most media member people have us not winning the premiership and only some have us making top 4.

I do agree we are touch-and-go in the injury front, but I tend not to be pessimistic. I agree that Darcy is our most important player. I agree that our first 5 games are massive. We wouldn’t want to be any worse than 3-2 imo.

Apart from injuries, the only way we lose is if we are poor in the midfield. That’s just my opinion

JDG’s our most important player. He adds a dynamic to the forward group that lifts it from slightly above average to legit best few in the competition. Last year showed we’re fine without Moore.

Overseas on holiday with my hubby, and we just had a ‘heated’ discussion about round 1 in the bar of our hotel. He pretended a level of disinterest in the game, which is BS.

Told him I don’t want to see a smug look on his face if the Cats beat us. Seriously, I’m over it. To (mis) quote Gimpy, if we don’t beat Geelong I’m out of here...

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Overseas on holiday with my hubby, and we just had a ‘heated’ discussion about round 1 in the bar of our hotel. He pretended a level of disinterest in the game, which is BS.

Told him I don’t want to see a smug look on his face if the Cats beat us. Seriously, I’m over it. To (mis) quote Gimpy, if we don’t beat Geelong I’m out of here...
My understanding, you’ve been married numerous years; just remind the cat that you determine such matters and you rule in favour of magpies.

Simples.

ps we’ll win anyway so will be a moot point.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
One week to go

One week

And then we can all get a little crazy....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back