Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

How does that add up to 5; 4; 3; 2 and 1 for voting? Numbers don’t work do they?
10 James Worpel (HAW) 5 + 5
6 James Sicily (HAW) 4 + 2
6 Rory Sloane (ADEL) 3 + 3
4 Ben McEvoy (HAW) 4
2 Jaeger O'Meara (HAW) 2
1 Jarman Impey (HAW) 1
1 Matt Crouch (ADEL) 1

2 x 5, 2 x 4, 2 x 3, 2 x 2, and 2 x 1

Yes, BUT some of his disposal was arrogant and blatantly dumb. He is a magnificent and damaging kick, one of the best in the comp if not the best. BUT fiddly arse non percentage disposal was, I am told the centrepiece of his appraisal today.
I would propose that a large part of what makes Sic so great is his "arrogance" (I would more classify it as a supreme belief in his own ability).

Whereas many AFL players play the percentages, the Blonde Prince will back his talent and go for the 50m bullet pass down the middle, or fly for the contested mark instead of punching or go for a long run down the wing with a couple of bounces instead of running it over the boundary.

All the great players have this trait. Think of the way Carey played, very similar. It may not always come off but geez I wouldn't change it if I was his coach (but far be it from me to doubt Clarko).

I would propose that a large part of what makes Sic so great is his "arrogance" (I would more classify it as a supreme belief in his own ability).

Whereas many AFL players play the percentages, the Blonde Prince will back his talent and go for the 50m bullet pass down the middle, or fly for the contested mark instead of punching or go for a long run down the wing with a couple of bounces instead of running it over the boundary.

All the great players have this trait. Think of the way Carey played, very similar. It may not always come off but geez I wouldn't change it if I was his coach (but far be it from me to doubt Clarko).

Coaching panels are usually conservative beasts. They follow the percentages, they want the processes to be paramount and faithfully followed.

Personally I love Sic and your point to arrogance is the most relevant. It is his defining difference.

I want him on, I want him being damaging, but I don’t want sapping arrogance however.

He has matured into a ripping young bloke, loved by his teammates but he needs to execute particularly well, consistently because his own standards demand it, not those of others.
I am sure he will, executing the percentages impeccably.

Sic is a superstar.

I just read the first 3x pages of the Adelaide Autopsy (their board) & at first it was funny - that Scorpus is funny AF - but after 3x pages it was quite sad.

I don’t follow them at all but it reads like they’ve gone from bad (2018) to worse (now). I know we love a whinge after a loss, but I feel like we (try?) focus on mistakes etc., then point out how different decisions/actions will lead to us bouncing back the following week. They seem completely deflated after Round 1; calls for sackings from the CEO down etc. Reading some of their feedback, their 2019 is going to make 2018 feel like The Good Old Days...
Yeah I had a read of some of the later pages too. First time to bother checking out another teams muck following a win by us. Astonishing how down they were. Pages were used up detailing the new 6-6-6 rules as the reason why all the “good teams” lost round one. Apparently the “high flyers” of the comp were attack-centric, and the likes of Hawthorn came out chirpy with defensive structures to manage the new 6-6-6 rules. Interesting take on it I guess. I just thought Adelaide just butchered the pill essentially. And yes the read was funny at first.. then just sad. I can be glass half empty on a loss, but nothing like that.

The thing I find really interesting, is that technically the team we put out there on the weekend had regressed from last year - no Mitchell, no Burton, added Scrimshaw. Yet we went over to one of the most challenging environments in the AFL against a team most expect to be top 4, and we won. Easily.

I've said this before, but I feel privileged to support such a strong club.

We are a team almost no one rates (especially in the media) thanks to Mitchell's injury, and expected natural regression.

Cant wait to see what Wingard and Scully add to this team!

Yes, BUT some of his disposal was arrogant and blatantly dumb. He is a magnificent and damaging kick, one of the best in the comp if not the best. BUT fiddly arse non percentage disposal was, I am told the centrepiece of his appraisal today.

I think he'll get this a bit but I also like, and assume he is encouraged to attempt, the more brazen kicks with some risk factor attached because he nails them often enough to open up play and create scoring chances.

Yeah he had a few too many unforgivable moments

Couple of really lazy kicks that were turn overs, a little to casual at times, dropping marks he'd spent before he'd earned.

He had 11 turnovers to 8 intercepts, that's not what you want to see out of him, especially when a lot of those turn overs were avoidable

The thing I find really interesting, is that technically the team we put out there on the weekend had regressed from last year - no Mitchell, no Burton, added Scrimshaw. Yet we went over to one of the most challenging environments in the AFL against a team most expect to be top 4, and we won. Easily.

We are a team almost no one rates (especially in the media) thanks to Mitchell's injury, and expected natural regression.

Watch for Mitch to return pre finals but play a Burgoyne like role and all the usual suspects say "his numbers are way down doom gloom

Late post as didn’t arrive home till last night as took advantage of a boys weekend in Adelaide. Well worth the struggle st at work today as was an amazing win. Great to be at AO on the hill - was surprised at how many hawks fans where there - crows supporters were great and went along with our boozie banter.
Wasn’t surprised at the result and was reasonable confident going in.
Massive shout out to JOM and worp in the middle with BB and Sic down back. Thought the imp was impressive too.
Forwards kick a bit straighter this week and good night Dogs. Bruest did work hard too.

Interesting how many changes there were between our team Round 1 last year and this year...

Minus: Mitchell, Schoey, Burton, Duryea, O'Brien, Howe and Cyril

Plus: Ceglar, Worpel, Cuz, Mirra, Morrison, Scrimmers and Nash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect it was more poor judgement and/or execution rather than arrogance - love the way that he takes the game on and will be elite once he tidies up the occasional brain fade.

This and every time he looks up streaming out of defence every Hawks player is in the defensive half of the ground, no one to deliver to up forward.

The most telling example against Adelaide was JOM streaming through the middle balking two or three and then delivering sideways on one occasion when he encountered the same problem.

I cringe when I hear the commentators call, "player A streaming through the middle of the MCG looks up, but there is no one forward of the ball". One of things I do not like about the modern game.

This isn't exactly true, as I would argue improvements in Impey, Sicily, Worpel, Cousins, Nash, Mirra, Morrison, O'Meara etc may have meant we haven't regressed.

Also, yes Burton was a very good player in 2017, but in 2018 he was not as good and was overshadowed heavily by the likes of hardwick and sicily. I would hardly count Scrimshaw in for Burton out a big loss anymore.

You can't replace tommy mitchell but we added sam mitchell who I'll bet is doing wonders for development of the midfield as a whole.

A couple of points I noticed from the game:

1. The game went up and down the flanks, and when we went forward, each defender was manned up, without a defensive spare. I don’t know whether this was the 6-6-6 effect, or whether Clarko has a new tactic to make each of their defenders accountable.

2. There was almost no switching in defence to the other side of the ground. The only time this happened was when Adelaide failed to defend and we got a spare running free.

3. Big Boy was masterful: one minute he’s deep in defence punching the ball away, next minute he’s marking in front of goal. His fitness is a Huge weapon.

4. Several promising youngsters had good games. I wonder whether the Great John Kennedy’s appearance at the jumper presentation had an effect on them, his booming voice saying “we can all do the other things...”. His message being that the team, and always the team, comes first.

Good win, 4 premiership points was a good start.

Go Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back