Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how GC is going to cover Bruce, Membrey, McCartin , Parker , they love having run and carry from half back and they might have to lock down more than usual.
I watched Hombsch play over the weekend and was really impressed with his ability to play on the talls, despite giving away at least 5cms to his opponent/s. His intercept marking seemed to really compliment Rory Thompson's one-on-one lockdown situations. Sam Collins played reasonably well as a key defender too. Chris Burgess swung between the forward and back line but I don't think he's ahead of any of those other three talls I just listed. Plus, we are yet to see Ben King play as a tall defender so he could be another option. Charlie Ballard is a decent medium-sized defender and I would say the same about Jesse Joyce.

Anyway, I think we have enough tall defenders, it's just whether we want to sacrifice our run off the half back line.

Cant wait to see our future CHB Ben King play. Hope you Gold Coast nufties are looking after him. We want him back here in great condition for 2021 season. Or at least ok condition. Dont expect much obviously but try not to ruin him.
I heard Max is joining Ben on GC in 2021. Ben loves it so much here with Mark Evans cooking for him.

Not too sure
Thompson, hombsch both pretty defensive bigs.
Joyce pretty defensive small.
Harbrow,Hanley, Weller providing the run.

We don’t have a standout 3rd defensive tall to play on membrey is my main concern.

Charlie Ballard has shown a lot of promise as an intercepter, but he is only a 10 gamer and couldn’t match membrey on the lead.
Newcomer Burgess may play back
We may play 3 talls with collins, hombsch and Thompson (the quickest) playing on membrey.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I definitely think that Ballard at 195 cm can do the job. He looked stronger vs Lions, reads game well and is a great interceptor. Otherwise Collins as 3rd tall after Thompson and Hombsh.

It will be interesting how St Kilda will cope with Wright. He looked great last Sat. Add Day, and Burgess/Lukosius rotating in forward line and Suns could cause some headache for St Kilda defence considering they will be probably missing some key defenders. Agree supply from midfield will decide the game.

Last edited:

I definitely think that Ballard at 195 cm can do the job. He looked stronger vs Lions, reads game well and is a great interceptor. Otherwise Collins as 3rd tall after Thompson and Hombsh.

It will be interesting how St Kilda will cope with Wright. He looked great last Sat. Add Day, and Burgess/Lukosius rotating in forward line and Suns could cause some headache for St Kilda defence considering they will be probably missing some key defenders. Agree supply from midfield will decide the game.

I would have membrey as clearly st Kildas most dangerous tall who is quick and takes a lot of marks on the lead.

Don’t think playing an intercepting defender on him is the right play.

Need someone who is quick and can match him on the lead.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SEN touched on this today , not sure who he was ( returned to car half way discussion) but he said GC already know B King is StKilda bound , Do Saints make a play for him season's end ?
Are you saying GCS already know he wants to head back and play for the saints because some nuffer on SEN said so , I if i was the coach up there and it was fact that he had already told them he wants to go back to Vic at this early stage the boy would be playing in the NEAFL for the next Two years , i wouldnt be wasting my time on trying to coach him in anyway shape or form and i doubt any of you would waste your time either , thats of course if its true which i doubt it is

Are you saying GCS already know he wants to head back and play for the saints because some nuffer on SEN said so , I if i was the coach up there and it was fact that he had already told them he wants to go back to Vic at this early stage the boy would be playing in the NEAFL for the next Two years , i wouldnt be wasting my time on trying to coach him in anyway shape or form and i doubt any of you would waste your time either , thats of course if its true which i doubt it is

Yeah exactly , poor recruiting but something GC will have to fight their way through , Brisbane shows it can be done.
Ben King will not extend his stay .

Yeah exactly , poor recruiting but something GC will have to fight their way through , Brisbane shows it can be done.
Ben King will not extend his stay .
Im not saying he will stay mate , the point im making is i dont believe its Fact that GCS know he is leaving , id bet any amount that he has not gone to the coach and said im leaving in Two years ,

serious question to GCS fans, do you really care if you win/lose?
Why do you "barrack" for them? location/something to do? what im saying is it will take another 10 years minimum before we have any real gcs fans out there. to be passionate you need to be brainwashed as a kid. there is no way an adult chooses a footy team out of thin air and then feels the passion of a life time. takes decade and as i said need to be a kid imo. so basically, give it up stop pretending and just let us have the win, cheers
That is far to tough on some fans. Love the passion of any clubs fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you "barrack" for them? location/something to do? what im saying is it will take another 10 years minimum before we have any real gcs fans out there. to be passionate you need to be brainwashed as a kid. there is no way an adult chooses a footy team out of thin air and then feels the passion of a life time. takes decade and as i said need to be a kid imo. so basically, give it up stop pretending and just let us have the win, cheers[/QUOTE

IMG_20190226_155756.jpg

Why do you "barrack" for them? location/something to do? what im saying is it will take another 10 years minimum before we have any real gcs fans out there. to be passionate you need to be brainwashed as a kid. there is no way an adult chooses a footy team out of thin air and then feels the passion of a life time. takes decade and as i said need to be a kid imo. so basically, give it up stop pretending and just let us have the win, cheers
I moved to Oz in 2000, had no idea about AFL. I watched Lions three-peat with interest but did not support them.
Why Suns? I guess because they are underdogs, because of all the crap from Victoria media that have no idea ad don't care why Suns struggled, how they were set up. The bias from Melbourne is quite shocking when looking from outside. AFL is actually hopeless organisation, very lucky to have a great product like footy.

You have to beat us no give away games this year. Good luck this year especially in China. That trip is a nightmare, it will mess up the rest of your season. If I remember correctly Suns play St Kilda again after your China trip and bye in Townsville. Looking forward to that.

Yes it’s not good what happened. Huge effect on him. And I’m not about to say what

Why would you even say that much, though?

Just invites speculation rather than it being a general mental health / depression issue.

Either way, hope Jack can successfully work his way through his issues and get on with his life. Hope he knows he has the support of all the fans at the club.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back