Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selection is going to be very interesting. We've got a heap of players unavailable, many underdone and then two who probably need more time to learn the game plan and may not have AFL standard fitness yet either.

Unavailable:

Carlisle
Hannebery
Geary
Brown
Roberton
McCartin
Longer
Bytel
King
Clavarino
Langlands

Underdone/question marks:

Steven
McKenzie
Acres
Pierce
Armitage
Austin
Marsh
Rowe

I don't like seeing underdone players picked - this often results in teams being beaten for run in the second half and involves a much higher risk of sustaining more injuries. If we pick on form and fitness I think this is the team:

B: Webster, Joyce, Wilkie
HB: Savage, Battle, Hind
C: Newnes, Steele, Billings
HF: Kent, Bruce, Gresham
F: Parker, Membrey, Long

Foll: Marshall, Steven, Ross
Int: Clark, Dunstan, Phillips, Sinclair

This team obviously has some glaring weaknesses but at least it's a fit, fast and reasonably skillful side. I'd back in our mids to win the majority of the clearances and the tackling pressure up forward would be strong. The backline lacks experience but it's mobile, has several good intercept players and all six are good users of the footy. Steven is on the underdone list but he had completed a good pre season before his time off so I think he can slot straight back in.

If Richo panics and picks the names who he thinks can save his arse, this is the team

B: Marsh, Rowe, McKenzie
HB: Savage, Joyce, Webster

Foll: Pierce, Steven, Ross
Int: Acres, Battle, Clark, Dunstan

Out: Wilkie, Hind, Marshall, Phillips, Sinclair
In: Rowe, McKenzie, Pierce, Acres, Marsh

I'm all for McKenzie and Acres coming in once they've built up some form and fitness in the VFL. Rowe IMO is a waste of time and Pierce may be the most established ruckman available, but after JLT 2 I think he needs to win the spot back from Marshall.

Last edited:
I think Parker's name may have been misspelled. Given he jumps over everything, runs through everything, and is super agile, surely his name is meant to be spelled Parkour.

Selection is going to be very interesting. We've got a heap of players unavailable, many underdone and then two who probably need more time to learn the game plan and may not have AFL standard fitness yet either.

Unavailable:

Carlisle
Hannebery
Geary
Brown
Roberton
McCartin
Longer
Bytel
King
Clavarino
Langlands

Steven
McKenzie
Acres
Pierce
Armitage
Austin
Marsh
Rowe

I don't like seeing underdone players picked - this often results in teams being beaten for run in the second half and involves a much higher risk of sustaining more injuries. If we pick on form and fitness I think this is the team:

This team obviously has some glaring weaknesses but at least it's a fit, fast and reasonably skillful side. I'd back in our mids to win the majority of the clearances and the tackling pressure up forward would be strong. The backline lacks experience but it's mobile, has several good intercept players and all six are good users of the footy. Steven is on the underdone list but he had completed a good pre season before his time off so I think he can slot straight back in.

If Richo panics and picks the names who he thinks can save his arse, this is the team

I'm all for McKenzie and Acres coming in once they've built up some form and fitness in the VFL. Rowe IMO is a waste of time and Pierce may be the most established ruckman available, but after JLT 2 I think he needs to win the spot back from Marshall.
Since when is Geary unavailable?

Unavailable:

Carlisle
Hannebery
Geary
Brown
Roberton
McCartin
Longer
Bytel
King
Clavarino
Langlands

Steven
McKenzie
Acres
Pierce
Armitage
Austin
Marsh
Rowe

Pretty crap thing to say about one of our players , the bloke was 7th in their B&F last season, he is no superstar but he isnt hopeless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unavailable:

Carlisle
Hannebery
Geary
Brown
Roberton
McCartin
Longer
Bytel
King
Clavarino
Langlands

Steven
McKenzie
Acres
Pierce
Armitage
Austin
Marsh
Rowe

I'm not sure the weaknesses are glaring, apart from an inexperienced, but possibly quite capable backline. Hind a bit of an unknown but if he's totally ineffective we can drop Newnes back there and have Sinclair on the wing.

Hey Sainters. Who is your 1st ruck preference? Notice Buckenara has picked Pierce in his SC team? A few of you have Marshall as your starting ruck FWD only in SC? Good luck in 2019.

Unavailable:

Carlisle
Hannebery
Geary
Brown
Roberton
McCartin
Longer
Bytel
King
Clavarino
Langlands

Steven
McKenzie
Acres
Pierce
Armitage
Austin
Marsh
Rowe

Rowe and Marsh aren't playing rd1

Hey Sainters. Who is your 1st ruck preference? Notice Buckenara has picked Pierce in his SC team? A few of you have Marshall as your starting ruck FWD only in SC? Good luck in 2019.
No one is really sure right now. Pierce was seen as ahead of Marshall at the start of JLT but sustained that concussion JLT1 which led to Marshall playing JLT2 and doing well.

I would expect Pierce to get the nod for rd1 since our coaches prefer a more physical centre square ruckman, which Marshall is not. Also once Longer gets back from his hamstring injury, he may become the number 1 ruck so the Pierce-Marshall battle may be shortly lived.

Not sure about that, i think Marsh plays for the pure fact he's similar to Roberton & Marsh has been training with Richmonds VFL side so his level of fitness would be more then reasonable & played an intra club with Richmond & held his own.
I find it hard to believe that someone within the space of a week could up their fitness from VFL to AFL standard (which is a huge difference) and learn the game plan well enough to go out and play close to 95% game time in one of our most crucial games for years. It's just not going to happen.

I find it hard to believe that someone within the space of a week could up their fitness from VFL to AFL standard (which is a huge difference) and learn the game plan well enough to go out and play close to 95% game time in one of our most crucial games for years. It's just not going to happen.
Don’t think fitness is the issue. Jok won our 1-4yr time trial late last year. Gibbons & Walsh top half dozen at Carlton.. lot of vfl players have incredible fitness levels.

Gameplan noted. Sometimes necessity can change this though.

Don’t think fitness is the issue. Jok won our 1-4yr time trial late last year. Gibbons & Walsh top half dozen at Carlton.. lot of vfl players have incredible fitness levels.

Gameplan noted. Sometimes necessity can change this though.
I dont think you can compare the fitness base of someone who has just completed an AFL pre season to someone only training AFL. There is more to it than just running capacity - they haven't been conditioned the same to take the big hits, worked on their skills as closely, worked on the mental fatigue etc. There is a reason most new players fade out of games despite being great runners.

Also, considering how much more new information he needs to take in this week being brand new to the club and back in an AFL environment, he will naturally fatigue much more than everyone else this week.

Pretty crap thing to say about one of our players , the bloke was 7th in their B&F last season, he is no superstar but he isnt hopeless

I used to like this rating thingy, and its a pity they stopped doing it after 2017... but according to those who were paid to comment, he does OK against some pretty big players.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/110937/Sam-ROWE

I wish we had him when James Gwilt was playing full back.
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.blueseum.org/Sam+Rowe
While there weren’t many positives to be found after the Blues were awarded the 2015 wooden spoon, Rowe’s steadiness in defence was one of them. Under siege week in and week out, Sam gutsed his way through a horror season to play 20 games. His stats weren’t huge, but rarely were his opponents either, and Carlton’s defence was tissue-thin when he wasn’t there.

In 2016, former Hawthorn assistant coach Brendon Bolton took charge of the Blues and lifted the club to seven wins and 14th on the ladder. Rowe had another consistent season in Carlton’s defence, where he played every game and his massive season total of 215 one-percenters was the most in the competition. Then in September, he polled well again in the John Nicholls Medal, finishing equal-sixth with Matthew Wright.

Career Highlights
2014 - 5th Best & Fairest
2014 - Most Improved Player Award.
2016 - Equal 6th Best & Fairest
----------------------------------------------

The important thing is , that the Blues facilitated the completion of his apprenticeship. I'm sure there are many unfinished area's at Moorabbin which could use his attention. As they keep saying, good man to have around the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back