Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I feel a bit more confident that it’s less about personnel this year.

We didn’t really have a bad injury run in context last year and certainly didn’t really seem to matter who played.

Hopefully that hunter / pack mentality holds up even if there are some key outs. At this stage there aren’t a heap of key players that will miss into and beyond Rd 2.

I’m feeling a bit better about a few of the players as well.

Newnes looks to be hitting form again.

Savage back to form.

Bruce 5 contested marks on the weekend, he’s back.

Marshall massive improvement on Hickey/Longer debacle.

Joyce looks solid as a rock down back.

Long I believe is about as important as any player in our 22 for the type of game we wanna play.

Parker & Kent bring extreme campaigner factor.

Steele, JB & Dunstan look to be maturing into young leaders.

Gresh has plenty in the tank. As does Ross.

If GOAT & Steven return for round 1 we’ll win convincingly. Either way I think we win quite easily.

Pierce, Carlisle, Steven, Acres, McKenzie, McCartin, Roberton, Hannebery, Longer, Brown, Clavarino are all missing round 1 or under an injury cloud.
That’s a fair whack.

From that list I’m optimistic Acres plays for Sandy on the weekend & comes into consideration for round 1.

Steven & Robbo would have to be a decent chance to be available.

Brown only out for a week & I don’t think we lose a great deal with Joyce in instead (really happy with Joyce).

Pierce, Longer, Clav, McKenzie & Paddy not best 22 for mine.

Hanneberry & Carlisle big losses but that’s only two definite outs from our best 22 (Brown back r2).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pierce, Carlisle, Steven, Acres, McKenzie, McCartin, Roberton, Hannebery, Longer, Brown, Clavarino are all missing round 1 or under an injury cloud.
That’s a fair whack.

Clavarino is best 22? Both Longer and Pierce?
I mean Doulton Langlands is a massive blow i'll grant you.

Yeah you’re right, give me two wins in meaningless practice matches over injuries to 12 of our best 22 every day.

You’re right. Still a lot to prove. But I’m feeling far better than this time last year when after the JLT the writing was on the wall that we were going to have a tough year. A hint of optimism in the air rn.

That’s a fair whack.
Why is Steven, Acres and DMAC out? The last two trained fully on Friday and Steven is back at Training.

Brown not injured.

Roberton and McCartin not ruled out yet.

A bit chicken little I think

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The concerns over Robbo & McCartin arent great, particularly Robbo he is integral for our defence. The positive form of other players in the JLT is a major bonus. I feel we will still get over GCS but will need Robbo, Hannebrey, Steven, Acres and Brown up and firing to be competitive against other opposition in the early rounds.

You’re right. Still a lot to prove. But I’m feeling far better than this time last year when after the JLT the writing was on the wall that we were going to have a tough year. A hint of optimism in the air rn.
Too right.
We've turned the corner it seems. Maybe going early there but time will tell.
More talent in. Enough youngsters over 50 games, something to prove, some ticker in the group saying enough is enough of the whipped choir boys s**t.
Excited by where we are at now and for the year ahead.

And................. we have Paaaarker!

Last edited:
Clav would have played round 1, 100%.
Not alongside brown Carlisle and Robbo he wouldn’t - can’t have 4 1st 22 players out of just 3 positions

We have between 4 & 9 1st 22 out mind you so still a lot

Not worried about all of them though. Let the positive thinkers cry depth and the negative among us lament our lack of top end....

Why is Steven, Acres and DMAC out? The last two trained fully on Friday and Steven is back at Training.

Brown not injured.

Roberton and McCartin not ruled out yet.

A bit chicken little I think

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still probably the shock of the weekends injuries.. I know I am disheartened. Minor or major it still cuts a bit with Hanners, Carlisle and possibly Steven out.

Too right.
We've turned the corner it seems. Maybe going early there but time will tell.
More talent in. Enough youngsters over 50 games, something to prove, some ticker in the group saying enough is enough of the whipped choir boys s**t.
Excited by where we are at not and for the year ahead.

And................. we have Paaaarker!

Also been lost on us that we lost our ruckman vs North & CHF vs the Dogs. Yes, extended bench but structurally we had a bit to cover & still came out winners.

As was mentioned by somebody else, personnel seems less as important with other guys coming in & seamlessly plugging holes.

Only JLT but the signs are looking okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back